flight delays

I am mightily glad that I am not flying out on holiday today with British Airways. You are not going :eek: Then there was the baggage system breaking down at Gatwick. I wonder how Thomson would cope with hundreds of angry passengers sans luggage with the next day being a sea day.

I am mightily glad that I am not flying out on holiday today with British Airways. You are not going :eek: Then there was the baggage system breaking down at Gatwick. I wonder how Thomson would cope with hundreds of angry passengers sans luggage with the next day being a sea day.

Hmmm... What's happening with BA ? Strike, res problems ? Baggage issues happen all the time, machines that operate eighteen hours a day 365 a year are bound to break down OR electrical problems cause systems too cease with out warning. Then airlines have to pay a pretty big fee for missed bags. Plus they have to pay clothing allowance to the passenger so they can buy something to wear till they get their bags. It can be pretty expensive..

Mac

This will be a massive hit for BA shares, compensation​ for flight delays will be enormous just hope they can withstand it.

That'll be the least of their worries. I knew someone in BAs IT services back in the 80's and the estimate then was for each minute of outage in the booking system, they lost £100K per minute in direct revenue and about £500K per minute overall (as the people who booked elsewhere stayed with the alternate airlines).

That'll be the least of their worries. I knew someone in BAs IT services back in the 80's and the estimate then was for each minute of outage in the booking system, they lost £100K per minute in direct revenue and about £500K per minute overall (as the people who booked elsewhere stayed with the alternate airlines).

Ouch :eek:

As mentioned in the news reports, did they not have a backup system or even a backup plan?. They said power supply issues were the basic problem. On all their critical systems, everywhere in the world including essential duplicate systems, the backup power failed to kick in, pull the other one....:rolleyes:

I used to run a small computer network and we were always concerned about how we would cope with a major system failure but losing £500K per minute and £72million per day would mean we would be running multiple critical systems in various locations each with their own power backup.

Plus everyone will be entitled to compensation under EU rules..... better claim within 2 years ;p

But what do I know!