Two men dancing together on the QM2 - reaction of other passengers?

Devon Bloke

My civil partner and I are sailing on the east-bound transatlantic crossing of the QM2 on May 31 from NYC to Southampton.

Has anyone any experience of other same-sex couples who have danced formally together on that ship...or other ships?

What was the reaction of the rest of the passengers?

We enjoy a good dance in nightclub – though at 49 years old and 12 years together our clubbing days have rather faded away. However I would like nothing better than to be formal dancing in the arms of the man I love at one of the balls in the main ballroom of the QM2 – aptly called the “Queen’s Room”.

Aside from the fact that Joe and I have a bit of an “all-in-wrestling” moment when we try to work out who leads, we’re not bad at doing a passable shuffle round the dance floor. We have danced together in front of all our family, friends (straight and gay) and work colleagues at our civil partnership/wedding 3 years ago and at a couple of events that we have hosted (e.g. Joe’s leaving party from his place of work).

No problems there. Actually I currently work for the Fire Service (having been with the Police Service prior to that) and many of the straight, male, fire and police colleagues who were at our civil partnership evening event, all commented on how good it was to see two men actually be in place where they could fully relax and dance as a couple should do.

But of course, these were all people whom we knew, liked and trusted and shared our values.

In the early 80’s, as an out gay man I did my fair share of marching and standing up for gay rights, challenging and facing down prejudice.

We’re both confident, comfortable and secure gay men

Yet, even now, like many others, I am conscious that Public Displays of Affection (PDAs) between same-sex partners can still draw hostile comments (and worse of course).

We don’t have to prove our feelings for each other or make a political statement by dancing together in the Queen’s Room on the QM2 – all we would like to do is have a romantic shuffle around the floor like other couples.

I’d be intersted in hearing others experiences.

Cheers

Andy

:)My partner and i have been on several cruises with other lines and had romantic dances held hands and not had any real problems apart from the odd look or comment usualy from british passangers. He even proposed to me in the main dining room 2 years ago and the reaction was fantastic we had a round of applause from the guests that were by our tabble and some even brought us drinks in the bar after i wouldnt worry about it just be yourselfs and enjoy your cruise.

On a recent NCL South America cruise, a male Aussie couple danced at a formal event on at least one occasion. Simply put ... they were well received and respected by the other passengers both on the dancefloor and in the audience. Also, the FOD group routinely danced the nights away at the disco, again no worries!

Rover

Hey! My partner and I have danced together with each other on three of our four cruises and plan to on the fifth in June, 2009. We have also switched partners with another gay couple while dancing on the last cruise. It was GREAT! We were well received and the band director told us that he thought it was great that we were dancing together. The cruise director, Felipe, told us that he thought we were cute and was proud of us because most gay couples just sit back and don't dance with each other. Go, Felipe! Anyway, IMO, I think to hell with them if they don't like it! LOL!

I wonder what reaction you would get if you posted the question on the Cunard board? :)

After 5 posts they'll be talking about kippers or clotted cream, but it might be worth a shot (or for a laugh). :D

I cna't imagine you would have a problem. My partner and I have danced on Celebrity, RCL and NCL and have never had an unkind comment or glance that we've been aware of. One presumes that Cunard attracts a sophisticated and more worldly crowd so I would guess that it would be a non-issue. Please come back and report afterward. We're interested in trying Cunard one day and we'd be keen to know your experience.

I wonder what reaction you would get if you posted the question on the Cunard board? :)

After 5 posts they'll be talking about kippers or clotted cream, but it might be worth a shot (or for a laugh). :D

Peter, so true! Post of the week!

Now, about this clotted cream.........

Oooo, cakes...........

:D

As many people straight or gay on the dance floor please. I just love afternoon tea with a good book, good orchestra and plenty of people on the floor - fantastic atmosphere!. I don't think you would have any problems on Cunard.

Scones............sandwiches............:)

Kippers at Afternoon tea.......?:confused:

You are doing it ALL wrong:eek:

Kippers at Afternoon tea.......?:confused:

You are doing it ALL wrong:eek:

I did not even mention afternoon tea; kippers are for breakfast, mummy dear, mummy dear. :D

OMG, I realize I have become a Cunard-type poster! I started the thread drift at post #5. :eek:

I did not even mention afternoon tea; kippers are for breakfast, mummy dear, mummy dear. :D

OMG, I realize I have become a Cunard-type poster! I started the thread drift at post #5. :eek:

Thread drifts are fun! Kippers for breakfast, how common.......

Eggs Benedict (origin - Waldorf Hotel 1894) is MUCH more up market and I am surprised Cunard even let Kippers on board :) (They probably only have them to cater for steerage)

Thread drifts are fun! Kippers for breakfast, how common.......

Eggs Benedict (origin - Waldorf Hotel 1894) is MUCH more up market and I am surprised Cunard even let Kippers on board :) (They probably only have them to cater for steerage)

You can get Eggs Benedict in any diner and dive in NYC and HAL has a whole Eggs Benedict station in the buffet - it aint all that posh ;)

Kippers are rare to find around here.

I spoke to my TA recently about the fact my partner and I are taking dance lessons, and that it would be fun to shock the heck out of those Cunarders by dancing together. She told me it wouldn't be a problem at all. So I would say: Go ahead, grab your sweetie and dance the evening away. If someone has a problem, just ask him if he feels jealous and offer to take him around the dance floor!

Enjoy your cruise!

But partner and I had a blast last year on G32. There were two young guys chasing girls (it seemed like it) for the first two nights, by the third night they were dancing together. Go figure!!!

Two girls tried to break partner and I, but we stuck together, then the girls went to dance with the two young guys and they seemed to enjoy the rest of the evening together.

Never made it to the slow dancing of the Queens Room but I don't think it would be a problem.

Go for it, and please DO report....

My civil partner and I are sailing on the east-bound transatlantic crossing of the QM2 on May 31 from NYC to Southampton.

Has anyone any experience of other same-sex couples who have danced formally together on that ship...or other ships?

We enjoy a good dance in nightclub – though at 49 years old and 12 years together our clubbing days have rather faded away. However I would like nothing better than to be formal dancing in the arms of the man I love at one of the balls in the main ballroom of the QM2 – aptly called the “Queen’s Room”.

Aside from the fact that Joe and I have a bit of an “all-in-wrestling” moment when we try to work out who leads, we’re not bad at doing a passable shuffle round the dance floor. We have danced together in front of all our family, friends (straight and gay) and work colleagues at our civil partnership/wedding 3 years ago and at a couple of events that we have hosted (e.g. Joe’s leaving party from his place of work).

No problems there. Actually I currently work for the Fire Service (having been with the Police Service prior to that) and many of the straight, male, fire and police colleagues who were at our civil partnership evening event, all commented on how good it was to see two men actually be in place where they could fully relax and dance as a couple should do.

But of course, these were all people whom we knew, liked and trusted and shared our values.

In the early 80’s, as an out gay man I did my fair share of marching and standing up for gay rights, challenging and facing down prejudice.

Yet, even now, like many others, I am conscious that Public Displays of Affection (PDAs) between same-sex partners can still draw hostile comments (and worse of course).

We don’t have to prove our feelings for each other or make a political statement by dancing together in the Queen’s Room on the QM2 – all we would like to do is have a romantic shuffle around the floor like other couples.

Cheers

Andy

Hey Guys,

You will have that 10 seconds of shock value but after that the shock subsides. I get out on the dance floor all of the time either with my partner ( 28 years, we are both 50 and ex party guys ) or other guys that we meet on the cruise. We have always been accepted by all, the fact of the matter is when the Husbands go to bed, The girls still want to have fun and the Gay's are always there to oblidge.

Have fun! :)

Mike...................were everywhere!

You can get Eggs Benedict in any diner and dive in NYC and HAL has a whole Eggs Benedict station in the buffet - it aint all that posh ;)

Kippers are rare to find around here.

Actually, the EB I had in NY at a diner had the edge on the ones I had on QM2. How the world has changed..........:)

To: Niko40; RoverHere; getfuzzy; Schplinky; turtlemicheal; YHZCruiser; quepaquete; pscruisinboys;

Many thanks for responses and your insights.

I think the comment of pscruisinboys You will have that 10 seconds of shock value but after that the shock subsides” pretty much hits the nail. Joe and I were once at a formal event for a local theatrical society. The band was brilliant (Royal Marines Dance Band) and the crowd was a very mixed bunch in terms of age, values and attitude. Everyone was having such a good time on the dance floor, that Joe and I said “Oh Sod it, I wanna dance”, hit the floor and started quick stepping n jiving like everyone else. And yeah there were a few raised eyebrows but aside from that no worries at all.

quepaquete: I shall happily report back about our experiences.

Boytie; Your comment about of “I wonder what reaction you would get if you posted the question on the Cunard board? “ – the devil in me did think the same. However, I didn’t want to come across like I was some gay version of Oliver Twist asking for “permission” from any heterosexual Cunard posters if I might share their dance floor! I am old and ugly enough to say “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”

(and I’ve just had a silly thought that one might get the sort of reaction that Bette Davis’s character Julie Marsden did (in the 1938 film “Jezebel”) when she insisted on wearing a red dress to the Olympus Ball, when unmarried women should only wear white...and her fiancé insisted on dancing her round the floor whilst everyone else left the floor in social disgust)

And your comment “After 5 posts they'll be talking about kippers or clotted cream” is not short of the truth!

GavinW; As a Devon Bloke – I come from the land of clotted cream so will be checking it for authenticity! And being half-Scottish, I shall of course be having the occasional kipper for breakfast.

(And of course, being half-Scottish...I shall be in my full Highland gear...kilt and all..for the formal nights)

Oh Nooo...Captain Kirk....I think we have slipped into A Gavin Thread Shift!:D

Cheers for all your comments

Andy

Hi guys.

I ballroom dance (waltz, foxtrot, swing, cha cha, etc.) all the time on most all my cruises (if I have a dance partner who knows how). Sometimes we are better than the majority of the dancers on the floor and get comments from both men and women how they enjoy watching us or "Would you dance with me?", or "I wish my husband could dance as well as you." Very rarely get a raised eyebrow, quite the opposite.

We usually meet all the best dancers and exchange tips on different moves. Not only do we have a fun time but look at it as being "Ambassadors to the cause". It's always fun to switch from lead to follow. That really confuses them :D! I LOVE to dance and it doesn't matter to me if my partner is male or female.

Go and have fun. You'll get comments from strangers walking down the hall how they enjoyed watching you or appreciate your "bravery". Don't miss the dance lessons either! Be prepared on the QM2 (I suspect) to be asked my many a single lady for a dance around the floor ;). David

GavinW; As a Devon Bloke – I come from the land of clotted cream so will be checking it for authenticity! And being half-Scottish, I shall of course be having the occasional kipper for breakfast.

(And of course, being half-Scottish...I shall be in my full Highland gear...kilt and all..for the formal nights)

Oh Nooo...Captain Kirk....I think we have slipped into A Gavin Thread Shift!:D

Cheers for all your comments

Andy

Only half Scottish....you have my commiserations:D. Although I am in London now (and hating it although my job is great) I am from Broughty Ferry originally and looking forward to getting back. Might take my Kilt on the 20th. I don't like kippers though :(

My partner & I sailed on QM2 last year for 13 days...we danced together in G32 - and had a ball - tehre were other Male & female couples also....

the first time I danced with another man was on QE2 in 1987 on a transatalntic crossing....fun fun fun....I always have said I danced across the Atlantic!!!!!

Even when my partner won't - I'll get up & boogey solo!!!!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Andy

In the Queens Room, on QM2, you'll most likely be outnumbered by "ladies of a certain age" dancing with each other. No one will bat an eye lid.

Mind you, I did spot some of the "gentleman hosts" having a sneaky waltz together...... before tending to their, er customers. Hmmmm.

G32 is much more fun, (even though the DJ on the Tandem crossing last October should have been thrown over-board for being so awful).

Seriously, we have cruised on many lines and NEVER encountered any problems. Just go on board and ENJOY yourselves. It's your holiday after all.

Now, I dare you to post on the Cunard Board..... ;) Just don't mention Kippers....

Have fun!

To: Ahh, Rotterdam and No534

Thanks for your uplifting comments

I think I may well take the chance for a few lessons whilst there.

And you're right with the comment "...it's your holiday after all" As I commented earlier in this thread, I'm not overly concerned about any negative reactions from fellow passengers if and when Joe and I get up to "trip the light fantastic" (or in my case to "stomp the heavy peculiar" - I'm no Fred Astaire). Their problem...not mine.

But, as a first timer on a cruise/voyage...I was interested in what others might have to say in this part of CC. And what a great response!

Am still toying with the idea of putting an abridged version of this question on the main Cunard board.

Ah...the hell with it...let's see what reaction it gets!

Cheers

Andy

You'd probably be surprised how much people really don't pay attention. Yes, you may find one passenger out of a thousand who snubs their nose (I've had this with one couple at our table once but thankfully they moved after the first night and left the rest of us to enjoy ourselves) but considering the large gay following Cunard has it just doesn't sound like a problem would arise if the two of you are simply enjoying a nice dance.

I can't speak from that experience though as my partner and I don't dance. Heck we barely stay awake after dinner.:D

I must admit Cunard has been one of the most open minded travel experiences I have had and count it as my favourite line. It may be too formal for some but at the same time I never felt out of place for being on board with my partner.

Am still toying with the idea of putting an abridged version of this question on the main Cunard board.

Cheers

Andy

And what a bloody good and positive reaction it did get! (So far) and know mention of kippers or clotted cream...just a standard comment about the frustration for good and experienced dancers colliding with us shufflers!

To: Ahh, Rotterdam and No534

Thanks for your uplifting comments

I think I may well take the chance for a few lessons whilst there.

And you're right with the comment "...it's your holiday after all" As I commented earlier in this thread, I'm not overly concerned about any negative reactions from fellow passengers if and when Joe and I get up to "trip the light fantastic" (or in my case to "stomp the heavy peculiar" - I'm no Fred Astaire). Their problem...not mine.

But, as a first timer on a cruise/voyage...I was interested in what others might have to say in this part of CC. And what a great response!

Cheers

Andy

I sailed several times on QE2 & loved loved love the ship & passengers.....

I took the Panamal portion of her world cruise a few years ago.....what interesting, fun & well travelled people on that cruise from every walk of life!

Well as it goes there were a group of men travelling seperately that all met up...we enjoyed the ship, activities onboard & inthe ports...one nite in the Yacht Club a couple from Britain were sitting next to me(I was sailing solomid 40's)..as the men got up to dance myself & the elder of the couple sat & talked(he was 75..the younger 50)..at one point I asked him to dance...he said no - he had never done that with another man in public...not even wth his partner...well I don't know what I said or how I said it, but the next thing he & I got up & boogied....after a bit I led him over to his partner who was in complete shock....and we watched them dance & dance & dance.....you never saw two happier people......I cha cha'd back to my cabin with a smile.......

Archived