Queen Mary 2 World Cruise 2016

Fomalhaut

Dear Queen Mary 2 Cruisers,

This will be our first cruise and we have some 15 months to be prepared for it!

When we will be leaving Southampton on January 10, 2016, I will be 75 and my wife 68. No health problems... by now!

It will be a 120 days cruise.

We should like to know opinions from similar cruisers on similar world cruises.

According to fares and deck plans, we are intending to book a BALCONY MID Cabin (BC), on deck 11, for example, stateroom nr. 11076 (Port) or 11101 (Starboard).

However, as we can see from deck plans, these Cabins are directly under an open air deck (deck 12).

Is this inconvenient, in terms of noises and other possible situations?

In terms of dressing (morning, afternoon, evening), is it too formal?

Or can we relax at ease and only dress formal some dozen times along the cruise? Because it is Queen Mary 2 and we don't know exactly what to expect...

Thanks for all your opinions.

Jose

Are you planning on doing a short cruise before you leave on this daunting one? Not meaning to discourage you, but what if you, after a couple of weeks, realize that you hate being on a cruise ship? I think most people here would strongly advise you to get your feet wet, so to speak, to see if cruising agrees with you, by taking a short cruise. I think you'd be surprised by how many people really dislike cruises.

I agree with the other poster. Starting your first cruise experience on a 120 day cruise is not a good idea. What do you do if you find 10 days into it you do not like the other passengers, the dress codes, etc.?

I am very honest about my prejudice towards Cunard, as far as their stuffiness, poor food, and general attitude.

I would strongly suggest you take a short cruise, say from Lisbon to London, to see if you really like cruising.

I am 76, and my wife is 70, and we have been on 14 cruises. We would never think of going on a 120 day cruise under any circumstances. Our longest cruise was 32 days and that was more than enough!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Cunard is not formal during the day.

On this year's World Voyage we had about 35 formal nights out of 118. After 6pm you are expected to adhere to the dress code in the public areas (Main dining room, theatre, most bars, dance venues, etc.). You can eat at the buffet and visit the lounge beside it on deck 7 without dressing up, however.

Some people complain that staterooms below public decks can be noisy. If you post this question on the Cunard forum, you may get specific answers about any staterooms to avoid.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Edited by Scrapnana

World cruises on Cunard can be a very formal experience. I'm talking tuxedos, long gowns and the whole bit. Even on semi-formal nights, the men wear suits and ties and the women wear nice dresses or fancy dinner suits. And you're expected to stay in your formal evening clothes when going to any public venues that night.

I agree with others that it's not a good idea at all to have a world cruise be your first cruise experience. It's not like you can change your mind part way through and leave, and ask for your money back.

But, if you do this cruise, remember to take care of all your personal logistics. How will you pay your monthly bills at home? Who will watch over your house for all that time? How will family communicate with you if there are any problems? And make absolutely sure you purchase trip insurance to cover all possibilities like trip cancellation, emergency medical evacuation and hospitalization.

Any cabin right below a public deck, such as the pool area or buffet will be noisier than a cabin where there are other cabins above your cabin.

Thanks for all 4 replies above.

In fact, sea is not strange for me and my wife.

I was a former Portuguese Navy Officer in command of war ships and we both have already cruise (just once) from Africa to Portugal, long time ago.

We both think that a 120 days cruise is not too much for us, as a lot of new and exotic places are to be visited or revisited in the meantime, which, by the way, is the main reason for us to cruise, in relax.

Main problem could be Queen Mary 2 itself, as we already could read a lot of hard critics and a few good ones.

Please, let me know more of your opinions on this, ok?

Regarding last post, is that so rare a 120 days cruise? This is a point we really never thought about. Do you really think it's not a good idea?

I will put this same post to Cunard Forum, thanks.

Edited by Fomalhaut

Regarding last post, is that so rare a 120 days cruise? This is a point we really never thought about. Do you really think it's not a good idea?

I will put this same post to Cunard Forum, thanks.

There are not a lot of 120 day cruises out there. However, you know what you would like so go for it. Just be prepared to meet a lot of people on the ship who have done many long cruises who may be a bit different from the people who do shorter cruises.

DON

... I am very honest about my prejudice towards Cunard, as far as their stuffiness, poor food, and general attitude. ...
Hi Talisker92

I am so sorry to hear about this, Did this "stuffiness, poor food and general attitude" continue once you were on board your voyages with Cunard (sorry, I don't know how many you've taken), or was it a miss-conception corrected during the cruises?

... We would never think of going on a 120 day cruise under any circumstances. Our longest cruise was 32 days and that was more than enough! ...
For some people two days on the the wrong ship or line, or indeed on any ship, would be two days too many! Some of my friends loath the whole concept of cruise ships and would never set foot on one (whilst others have become frequent cruisers).

For others, with a favourite ship or line, who go back year after year for entire world cruises, 120 days is clearly not nearly enough.

So we are all different, not everyone likes to take only short trips.

Around 250 to 500 passengers per ship on Cunard world cruises are doing the entire trip, as the OP proposes.

Happy sailings :)

Edited by pepperrn

The cabin may get some noise from above but it's qm2 so won't have a lot if activity there on a world

Otherwise great cabin choice

Dress. You needs a day set of clothes and evening set

For guys casual is collared shirt and Spirts coat

Semi formal same with tie and formal is full suit as minimum

This is for whole ship other than kings court and they mean it

After 6pm that is

Enjoy she cruises very well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruises as long as the one you're contemplating are rare. If you were a seasoned cruiser you'd know that at least 90% of the cruises are only 7 to 10 days long. In any given year there are maybe only 4 or 5 ships that do a world cruise.

We did the QM2 and were not at all impressed. While the ship is beautiful, it's laid out quite awkwardly where you have to go up a deck or two, and then go back down in order to access venues on the same deck. We also thought the food was barely ok, while the food in the buffet was inedible on many days. But by far the worst aspect was the very poor service. Rude and surly crew members seemed to be the rule.

When Cunard was taken over by Carnival, the line started to go downhill. We LOVED our cruises on the old QE2, as cruising on her was an experience. But Cunard is no longer that line.

With all due respect, being on a warship and a cruise ship are very different experiences, and cruising a long time ago was VERY different than it is today. It's really nothing to do with seafaring, but the whole business of modern pleasure cruises. Nowadays, many feel that cruising has changed for the worse. It's now something for the masses. You can look at it this way: you can travel by a luxury automobile or via a crowded bus. In many instances, cruises have become like traveling in a very loud, crowded bus.

Again, I advise you to take a shorter cruise on a mass market line to see if cruising really is what you think it is.

Thanks for all your opinions and comments.

Flickr photos and videos very useful.

Now, beeing it first time and beeing our interest to go round the world, which alternatives?

We think that Cunard is the only "classic" line, just as we like. We can not imagine a cruise on those new giant ships designed for young people to amuse. Besides, QM2 is really a transatlantic ocean vessel, the old way, not a "plastic" ship as some new ones seam to be.

Concerning mass tourism... yes, we are aware, but, once again, which alternative? May be QM2 is the one best positioned in this respect, no?

BTW, are meals (breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner) included in cabin price, or must we pay each of them separate?

QM dropped the semi-formal last year, to ties optional.

Yes, she's the only cruise liner left, which is the reason for an unusual lay out- the marine architect planned the ship first for crossing oceans, and the interior had to fit with that. I believe he said that cruise ships are planned for the interior, then the exterior has to fit around it.....:rolleyes:

I know several people on forums who go on world cruises, and many of them return to the QM2 because of her special qualities. However, there's a number of world cruises leaving from Southampton at that time, so check if you've chosen the best for you. :)

I have sailed on the Amsterdam's Grand World Voyage in 2008, 113 days. I have sailed on Queen Mary 2 on a Caribbean cruise soon after she entered service.

In my opinion, "dressing up" on a cruise is part of the fun of the experience--except, of course, when my tie refuses to cooperate with being properly tied.

QM2 is a lovely ship. I have friends who have been on some of Queen Victoria's longer voyages during the Winter and they report that the experience is more formal than on a shorter voyage or what I experienced on the Amsterdam. It is a matter of preference, I think.

May I suggest that you look at the Amsterdam's itineraries as an alternative? Have you considered the offerings of P&O?

Cunard's old advertising slogan was "Getting there is half the fun". I have found the other half is the planning! Enjoy!

Cruises as long as the one you're contemplating are rare. If you were a seasoned cruiser you'd know that at least 90% of the cruises are only 7 to 10 days long. In any given year there are maybe only 4 or 5 ships that do a world cruise.

We did the QM2 and were not at all impressed. While the ship is beautiful, it's laid out quite awkwardly where you have to go up a deck or two, and then go back down in order to access venues on the same deck. We also thought the food was barely ok, while the food in the buffet was inedible on many days. But by far the worst aspect was the very poor service. Rude and surly crew members seemed to be the rule.

When Cunard was taken over by Carnival, the line started to go downhill. We LOVED our cruises on the old QE2, as cruising on her was an experience. But Cunard is no longer that line. In many instances, cruises have become like traveling in a very loud, crowded bus.

Again, I advise you to take a shorter cruise on a mass market line to see if cruising really is what you think it is.

i did a TA on the QE2 and was totally unimpressed by the food. Perhaps in Grill Class it might have been better, but in recent reviews, that may be doubtful. I really did not enjoy wearing a tux for 5 of the 7 days.

Have you considered Crystal's world cruise? We've done a WC on Crystal and it was fantastic. No class system like you find on Cunard, so if you book the cheapest cabin, you're treated exactly the same as any other passenger---you eat in the same dining room unlike on Cunard as they have separate dining rooms depending on how much you pay.

Crystal carries far fewer passengers so personal service is their forte. They are known to have the best food at sea, plus they are all inclusive. When you book the entire WC, you get first class flights from your home airport to the embarkation city, plus limousine transfers from your home. Full WC'ers get a number of free tours, they have free pre and post cruise hotel stays at 5 star hotels, and all gratuities are included. Plus, there are a lot of other perks that you won't find on Cunard.

Even though Crystal ships are smaller, they handle rough seas amazingly well. We had seas that washed over the windows on deck 5, and we never would have known the seas were that rough because it was so smooth.

I know you might look at the initial cost of Crystal as high, but with it being all inclusive, which Cunard is not, you could very well find that Crystal is a bargain when you add in all the extras you have to pay for on Cunard, including all beverages, tours and other things.

"Getting there is half the fun". I have found the other half is the planning!

Yes, you are right!

We are now through this 15 months planning phase (which helps a lot to minimize Cunard's fare, dividing it by actual 570 days instead of the 120 days WC...!)

Concerning QM2, as you say, "she's the only cruise liner left", and she is clearly our choice, so... the best for us.

Thanks a lot for all your informations and opinions.

Edited by Fomalhaut

"Getting there is half the fun". I have found the other half is the planning!

Yes, you are right!

We are now through this 15 months planning phase (which helps a lot to minimize Cunard's fare, dividing it by actual 570 days instead of the 120 days WC...!)

Concerning QM2, as you say, "she's the only cruise liner left", and she is clearly our choice, so... the best for us.

Thanks a lot for all your informations and opinions.

I think you will like Cunard. There is a good mix of nationalities that many other cruise lines don't have. I never felt like a second class citizen because I was not in the Grills - in fact most of the time I never knew who was in the Grills and who was not. I liked the food. Admittedly I am not a gourmet and do not need (or in some cases, want) fancy sauces, caviar or foie gras. Dressing for dinner added to the experience for me. No, I wouldn't want to do it every night for the rest of my life, but a cruise is something special and dressing up makes it even more special.

Enjoy the planning!