Best Lobster ROll In Bar Harbor ?

mamaofami

Momaofami

I would like to know as well. Even though we will be taking the day tour with lobster feast I still want to grab a lobster roll before we reboard. I have always heard about this luscious New England 'hot dog' that I just have to have one.

Dennis

I can't promise it's the best EVER, but we went to Stewman's Lobster Pound in Bar Harbor and the lobster rolls were DELICIOUS.

As they go, they were pretty reasonable and easily within walking distance of the tender landing. Probably about a 3 minute walk. Ask to be seated outside, you'll be able to see everything, including the ship, which is very close.

Here's the site:

http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/

Momaofami

I would like to know as well. Even though we will be taking the day tour with lobster feast I still want to grab a lobster roll before we reboard. I have always heard about this luscious New England 'hot dog' that I just have to have one.

Dennis

You've never had a lobster roll ? You're in for a rare treat. I think we're taking that tour too. But, I'll have to do some research on the rolls.

Lived in Cherry Point, NC a long time ago.

Marine or Navy Family??

We are a former Navy family. I was a Beltway Sailor.

But yes, I never had a lobster roll. There was Food Channel show on great sandwiches and one of the selections was a lobster roll. I was always intrigued by the idea of lobster salad sandwich and have it on my secondary bucket list.

I have been to Boston often and have had a few lobsters whole, but not the roll.

Dennis

I don't think there is any such thing as a bad lobster roll!!! Used to be able to get them at McDonald's (haven't seen them there lately).

The "bun" is a bread roll not a traditional hot dog bun that is usually served in other parts of the country. Sometimes it will be a lobster salad roll .... or my favorite roll is the picked lobster (mostly claw meat) that is still in large pieces with some mayo.

A few weeks ago we had lunch at Carmen Veranda's ... on the main street ... had a nice view from the upstairs porch and they had wonderful claw meat lobster rolls. Also great local beer.

We were in Bar Harbor yesterday and had a great lobstor roll at Rupununi Bar and Grill. Lobster pieces were large and plentiful. They had a special Lobster roll, clam chowder and slice of blueberry pie for $20, teamed it with a local beer and it was great.

njdevil08 wrote: .....West Street Cafe seemed to be a local favorite. All of the tour guides were reccomending that we go there. (I think they were paid to tell us that, just a conjecture. :o).....

I'm not a tour guide, nor do I know any tour guides, but from my experience, WSC is not fancy but the food is good and servings are more than ample plus the blueberry pie is excellent.

Highly recommended!

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were told by our Oli Trolley driver today suggested going to the Downeast Deli (on Main St.). They had a special combo of a lobster roll, cup of chowda, and a piece of blueberry pie for $18. It was fantastic. Only thing is that it's a take-out only place, so you need to find a park bench on the street (there's one right in front of the store) or go to either of the 2 little parks nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

We loved sampling the Lobster rolls from most ports we visited.Can't wait to do it again on our Montreal to Boston cruise next June.Will have to try the pie too.Thanks for the great suggestions.Love the Blueberry Ale also.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back and another recommendation from our Oli's Trolley driver was The Lobster Claw which is on the main street. We chose that over the Deli as it had places to sit inside, but was stiill very casual and reasonably priced. They offered the lobster rolls the traditional way with mayo or with just drawn butter. Sine there were four of us we ordered two of each and tried them all. They were all delicious, but I have to say the version with just the butter was my favorite!

Hey I am taking the tour around Arcadia too. what time are you all doing the tour? I signed up for the 9:00 tour so lunch is at the end and then I can go shopping in Bar Harbor.

Thanks for the suggestions on Lobster Rolls.

• 1 month later...

One reason the tour people suggest West End is because of its fair pricing for the lobsterman and how they run their business..we were there last week and asked Capt John from the lulu boat (which was great by the way) We ate at West End and it was very good.

we just did Explorer first week of Sept. being from WI never heard of a lobster roll until now, they were available everywhere! We had rolls at Andy's in portland, $12 very good service took awhile 1 1/2 hours for lunch:eek: In Bah Habba we found the best lunch ever at Gendy's right near the tender station they had clam chowder, a 1 1/2 lb. whole lobster, fries and hot blueberry pie for $26.:D I don't think you can go wrong, look at the menu's posted outside before you go in.

Archived