Driving from Pa for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal departure - Looking for advice

Pittfan763

Hello,

I have been spending a few days on CC looking around at different forums, and collecting details and different options. Sure takes a long time to filter through all of the different posts, but there is so much valuable information on here that cannot be overlooked!

We have 4 adults and 2 young children cruising on the Gem out of NYC (Manhattan) on May 6 (7 day cruise). We likely will have more than the normal amount of luggage, given that our kids (3 and 2 years old) are going to cruise with us for the first time. Given that, I am leaning towards parking right at the pier. Likely to have 2 large suitcases just for the kids, and they are not old enough to really help with the luggage. Also considering taking a stroller with us. 2 of the adults are Seniors, and can certainly manage their own luggage. But toss in keeping very close eyes on the kids, and that leaves Daddy ( :D ) taking care of 4 large suitcases, and any potential small bags.

Some options that I have been considering:

1. Driving from Western Pa to the terminal with all of the luggage. In-laws (the 2 seniors) drive on their own with their own luggage. We all park at the pier for the $40 per day per car

2. Stay at Hilton Garden Inn at Ridgefield Park, NJ. I just called them and the Stay/Park/Sail rate is $269 + tax per night per room. That gives us drop off/pick up for the cruise, breakfast, and parking for the 2 cars.

3. Stay in a hotel in NJ, and take 2 Uber cars to the terminal

4. Stay in a hotel in NJ, and take a Train to Penn Station. From Penn Station, take Uber to the pier. While this seems to be the most economic, it likely will also be a taxing toll on Dad to get the luggage on and off the train, and working with Uber for all of the luggage.

5. Stay at a hotel in NJ, and take the ferry over to the pier. Issue with that is juggling of all the luggage.

Thank you for your tips and opinions!

Jason

How long is your drive to the pier? Probably 6 hours or more? If it means starting out so early that it will be really tiring and leave you with two very cranky kids, I might be inclined to use option 2 so you can have a more leisurely journey. If you think the drive isn't all that difficult I would do option 1 because that will get you back on the road for the trip home the quickest.

I'm not a fan of wrangling a lot of luggage on trains, ferries, Ubers, etc.

How long is your drive to the pier? Probably 6 hours or more? If it means starting out so early that it will be really tiring and leave you with two very cranky kids, I might be inclined to use option 2 so you can have a more leisurely journey. If you think the drive isn't all that difficult I would do option 1 because that will get you back on the road for the trip home the quickest.

I'm not a fan of wrangling a lot of luggage on trains, ferries, Ubers, etc.

Thank you for the quick reply/advice.

The trip itself would be 6 hours straight, IF we do not make any stops like bathroom breaks (again, kids) or stop for a longer break for lunch, etc. So I am thinking more like 8 hours. IF I were to drive it all the way through, then I would try and leave around 4:00am (not something that really bothers me), so that the kids can be asleep for about half of the trip or more.

Hello,

I have been spending a few days on CC looking around at different forums, and collecting details and different options. Sure takes a long time to filter through all of the different posts, but there is so much valuable information on here that cannot be overlooked!

We have 4 adults and 2 young children cruising on the Gem out of NYC (Manhattan) on May 6 (7 day cruise). We likely will have more than the normal amount of luggage, given that our kids (3 and 2 years old) are going to cruise with us for the first time. Given that, I am leaning towards parking right at the pier. Likely to have 2 large suitcases just for the kids, and they are not old enough to really help with the luggage. Also considering taking a stroller with us. 2 of the adults are Seniors, and can certainly manage their own luggage. But toss in keeping very close eyes on the kids, and that leaves Daddy ( :D ) taking care of 4 large suitcases, and any potential small bags.

Some options that I have been considering:

1. Driving from Western Pa to the terminal with all of the luggage. In-laws (the 2 seniors) drive on their own with their own luggage. We all park at the pier for the $40 per day per car

2. Stay at Hilton Garden Inn at Ridgefield Park, NJ. I just called them and the Stay/Park/Sail rate is $269 + tax per night per room. That gives us drop off/pick up for the cruise, breakfast, and parking for the 2 cars.

3. Stay in a hotel in NJ, and take 2 Uber cars to the terminal

4. Stay in a hotel in NJ, and take a Train to Penn Station. From Penn Station, take Uber to the pier. While this seems to be the most economic, it likely will also be a taxing toll on Dad to get the luggage on and off the train, and working with Uber for all of the luggage.

5. Stay at a hotel in NJ, and take the ferry over to the pier. Issue with that is juggling of all the luggage.

Thank you for your tips and opinions!

Jason

Wow! You have your hands full. I think options 4 and 5 will be very stressful. I have concerns about options 2 and 3 because of the disembarkation chaos of trying to connect with the hotel pickup or Uber's.

If you can manage it, I would park at the pier where you can actually drive through and drop off all the checked luggage. This will involve circling around again to get into the parking. It will take time to do this, but it might be a lot easier overall. The other option would be to drive and park and make two trips with the luggage to give them to the porters.

You definitely want to come into the area the night before. Look for modest hotels in the Parsipanny NJ area - I'm seeing a Days Inn and Red Roof in for about $75.

Wow! You have your hands full. I think options 4 and 5 will be very stressful. I have concerns about options 2 and 3 because of the disembarkation chaos of trying to connect with the hotel pickup or Uber's.

If you can manage it, I would park at the pier where you can actually drive through and drop off all the checked luggage. This will involve circling around again to get into the parking. It will take time to do this, but it might be a lot easier overall. The other option would be to drive and park and make two trips with the luggage to give them to the porters.

You definitely want to come into the area the night before. Look for modest hotels in the Parsipanny NJ area - I'm seeing a Days Inn and Red Roof in for about $75.

I love that you have your picture on your posts, as I have seen it many times now as I search out the best options for us. :D

If we drive all the way, what is the cheapest way to get into NYC? I know that traffic will always be bad in NYC, so is there less of a toll if we go across the GWB as opposed to the Lincoln Tunnel? I see that the Lincoln Tunnel is $15 per car one way, but I have not found the GWB toll yet, or if there is another way to drive in.

Agree on staying at a hotel in Jersey some place. Try and cut down to maybe driving just 2 hours (at most) before hitting NYC. Then figure 1 hour of driving before we actually get parked, does that seem reasonable?

Just found out that the fares for the GWB, Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland Tunnel are all the same rate ($15) and is only paid one way (into NYC) and free going to NJ. Just not sure if there may be other tolls to take into consideration.

I am now wondering if we all stay at a Hotel in NJ someplace, and my in-laws take the train into Penn Station. I take their luggage with me, and then we are only paying for 1 car at the cruise terminal. It would be saving some considerable money if we elect to stay at a hotel that offers free parking for the week, and they can take the train instead.

Just found out that the fares for the GWB, Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland Tunnel are all the same rate ($15) and is only paid one way (into NYC) and free going to NJ. Just not sure if there may be other tolls to take into consideration.

I am now wondering if we all stay at a Hotel in NJ someplace, and my in-laws take the train into Penn Station. I take their luggage with me, and then we are only paying for 1 car at the cruise terminal. It would be saving some considerable money if we elect to stay at a hotel that offers free parking for the week, and they can take the train instead.

Different question now. What route would you be driving in from Pittsburgh? I76/I95, I78, or I80?

It's going to cost you money to park the second car. No hotel with reasonable train access is going to offer "free" parking for the week.

There are no hotels that offer free parking and free shuttle service from NJ to Manhattan. Little kids usually sleep in the car. Is leaving Pitts at 5:00 am and driving straight through except for rest stops an option? Then you unload the car and the porter takes away your luggage to be delivered to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Different question now. What route would you be driving in from Pittsburgh? I76/I95, I78, or I80?

It's going to cost you money to park the second car. No hotel with reasonable train access is going to offer "free" parking for the week.

Coming from Pittsburgh we have options. I can go via I-80 very easily, or take the Pa Turnpike which will in essence have me coming up from Philly area. Just that I-80 I avoid all of the tolls that I would encounter along the Pa Turnpike. Which can mount up fairly quickly. I am not sure about toll roads in NJ, and if any in NYC (which I doubt there is outside of the bridge/tunnel tolls).

If you stay at the Quality Inn Hotel in Edison NJ, they have free parking for the week (called and verified) and a hotel shuttle (free) to drop off at the Train Station. This is just outside of Newark airport area hotels, so this is probably the closest you can get to where they offer the free parking.

There are no hotels that offer free parking and free shuttle service from NJ to Manhattan. Little kids usually sleep in the car. Is leaving Pitts at 5:00 am and driving straight through except for rest stops an option? Then you unload the car and the porter takes away your luggage to be delivered to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Driving straight through is an option. It would just have the driver fairly tired the rest of that day. Doable. Just not sure I would have my in-laws making the same drive. I would prefer that they at the least stay at a hotel in NJ, and then make the rest of the drive on their own. Or, take the train in the rest of the way. Something I would obviously leave up to them to decide.

Coming from Pittsburgh we have options. I can go via I-80 very easily, or take the Pa Turnpike which will in essence have me coming up from Philly area. Just that I-80 I avoid all of the tolls that I would encounter along the Pa Turnpike. Which can mount up fairly quickly. I am not sure about toll roads in NJ, and if any in NYC (which I doubt there is outside of the bridge/tunnel tolls).

If you stay at the Quality Inn Hotel in Edison NJ, they have free parking for the week (called and verified) and a hotel shuttle (free) to drop off at the Train Station. This is just outside of Newark airport area hotels, so this is probably the closest you can get to where they offer the free parking.

Are your parents seniors (62)?

The closest train station appears to be Metuchen instead of Edison? Is that where they would drop you? Senior train fare is $5.45 each way. On a Sat morning trains run twice an hour and it takes almost an hour to get to NYC. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Correct. That is the Station (Metuchen) that the hotel would take us to via their shuttle. They said it's free of charge, and the hotel price per night was around $110. Just haven't heard of someone actually going through with booking it with this thought process.

It wouldn't work very well for someone flying into Newark, but perhaps someone driving from Pa or south.

Edited by Pittfan763

Just a few thoughts: we are on the GEM's 7 day ahead of OP, will know if the MCT pier parking discount is still valid next Tues before some of the CC Roll Call members do their roof-top deal the following Saturday - if you drive 2 cars & park there - it's a saving of $10/day x 7 days x 2 cars or $140, enough to pay for one night's hotel out in NJ (Parsippany area, just off I-80 coming in eastbound - about 1 hour from MCT via GW Bridge, one of the best approaches ... especially early weekend mornings) Check next week when the GEM is back doing the turnaround to see if the parking deal is still good & honored.

Pittsburgh is a long drive, coming in a day before would be good for the driver(s) - is there a family minivan ? And, I recommend taking I-80, there's just one toll at the Delaware Water Gap between NJ & PA, collected one-way (EZ-Pass or cash) plus GWB, one way only into NY at $15 cash (must take "upper level" of GWB, use the Express lanes approach as you get close on I-80 East. I am not 100% the first segment between Pittsburgh and NJ is entirely toll-less but it is an easy drive ... our shortcut/preferred to Niagara Falls & Ontario, Canada - with plenty of easy off/on exits for food, gas & breaks.

I agreed 100% with others Uber isn't really a practical choice as you would need 2 vehicles for all the pax & luggage for runs between NJ hotel & MCT, plus the waiting for pickup at disembarkation ... Add up the costs plus cost for hotel/park & stay to come up your final totals. How are the parents/seniors with driving and following closely in getting to the pier, it's very easy for others to cut in between 2 cars and next thing you know ... those following behind can't find the "lead" vehicle !

If the park-n-shuttle deals are available from NJ hotels and you can book/confirm it - it's worth considering ... Hilton @ $300 (w. taxes/fees) per room x 2 at $600 for the week is probably a better deal than parking at the pier plus 2 rooms for 1 night, as long as the # of luggage aren't being limited + the stroller.

Lastly, you are only going for 7 days, pack less - kids' clothing take up less space in a 22" or 25" roller - and, you can do a full bag of laundry onboard the ship mid-week for $20, lots of underwears & socks - all you can stuffed = less packing,

We are on the Gem in June and are driving in from Cleveland via I80. For this trip we are leaving Friday afternoon and driving to Hazleton, PA and staying in a hotel then have about a 2 hour drive to the port. We have done that before and it worked great. Last June were on the Breakaway and planned on a couple of days pre-cruise in the area so we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands and that made for an easy 10-15 drive to the port.

Have you considered taking rail, Megabus, or Greyhound to NY? All would deposit you fairly close to the pier (walk or short taxi ride). We have done that, arriving the day before, with a midtown hotel booked. I've also taken the overnight rides, arriving early morning. All take longer than driving, but you can sit together and relax along the way.

I'm envious of your NY departure! IMO, one of the best there is!

Just a few thoughts: we are on the GEM's 7 day ahead of OP, will know if the MCT pier parking discount is still valid next Tues before some of the CC Roll Call members do their roof-top deal the following Saturday - if you drive 2 cars & park there - it's a saving of $10/day x 7 days x 2 cars or $140, enough to pay for one night's hotel out in NJ (Parsippany area, just off I-80 coming in eastbound - about 1 hour from MCT via GW Bridge, one of the best approaches ... especially early weekend mornings) Check next week when the GEM is back doing the turnaround to see if the parking deal is still good

Thank you! Please do keep me posted, as I would like to share the results on our roll call page.

Jason (and Gang)

We are on the Gem in June and are driving in from Cleveland via I80. For this trip we are leaving Friday afternoon and driving to Hazleton, PA and staying in a hotel then have about a 2 hour drive to the port. We have done that before and it worked great. Last June were on the Breakaway and planned on a couple of days pre-cruise in the area so we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands and that made for an easy 10-15 drive to the port.

Hello. Thank you for the details!

Are you saying that the Meadowlands are a 10-15 minute drive to the port, or are 10-15 miles from the Port? Could be a huge difference with the traffic. :)

In the end, I think we have made up our minds of going with option 4 from my original post. Hotel near Newark airport, and taking the train to Penn Station. That is all if we can get away with just 4 large rolling suitcases, and not take a stroller. Our 2 year old is very capable of walking. It's more about when she gets tired, and we need to carry her while she sleeps. I think if we ditch the stroller, then we are ahead in the game.

I do need to figure out if New York requires child seats for Uber/Taxi. I know that NJ requires it for Hotel shuttles (from another CC posting), but not sure about Taxis in NYC.

The thought is to take the Train into Penn Station, and then get ourselves over to the Port with our luggage. Probably saving around $300.

Thanks!

Jason

Have you considered taking rail, Megabus, or Greyhound to NY? All would deposit you fairly close to the pier (walk or short taxi ride). We have done that, arriving the day before, with a midtown hotel booked. I've also taken the overnight rides, arriving early morning. All take longer than driving, but you can sit together and relax along the way.

I'm envious of your NY departure! IMO, one of the best there is!

Hello,

This is actually one of the very first thoughts that I had. Bus/Train from Pittsburgh to NYC. Issue we run into is the time it will take for the Bus/Train ride is around 9 hours (either option). And shy of using MegaBus, it is also about the same cost as a hotel and parking at the Port. So we are likely opting to stay at a hotel in NJ, and taking the train into Penn Station instead. Gives us all a chance to sleep the night before, and not be too tired to enjoy the first day. Let's face it, with 2 very young kids, no one is sleeping on this cruise! Too much to do and see. :D

But I love your thought on leaving the NYC port. I didn't give much of a thought as to the sights we will see when we are leaving. Now I have to figure out where to stand when we sail away!

Jason

It was 10-15 minutes but that was on a Sunday morning. I have not gone out of NYC on Saturday. Sunday morning there was hardly any traffic for the 3 times I have left from there, I would guess that Saturday will have more. I'm going to look at google maps on a couple of Saturdays at the appx time I expect to arrive to see what traffic looks like.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Forums mobile app

So what hotel are you considering? The hotel you were looking at in Edison is not a "Newark Airport hotel".

I misspoke, sorry about that. We would be looking at a hotel that has a free shuttle to the Metuchen train station, to take us from there. Sorry if I caused any confusion in my typing error.

Several are in that area, and I think it is just a matter of price point and further amenities to see which one would ultimately work for us.

It was 10-15 minutes but that was on a Sunday morning. I have not gone out of NYC on Saturday. Sunday morning there was hardly any traffic for the 3 times I have left from there, I would guess that Saturday will have more. I'm going to look at google maps on a couple of Saturdays at the appx time I expect to arrive to see what traffic looks like.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for adding in the clarification. No worries as I am fairly certain that we will be taking the train in, but if anything should go wrong with that plan, it would be nice to know options. We will be booking 2 rooms in Edison NJ any options that we choose now, due to us not wanting to drive all the way the same day we set sail.

Thank you!

Jason