Princess insurance

camper49

Their Platinum policy is the only policy in the industry (that I'm aware of) that offers a 100% credit for a future cruise on their Cancel For Any Reason rider.

Most other insurance policies only off anywhere from 50% to 75%

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Having said that, you can probably get better coverage at a cheaper price going 3rd party

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

There are others also.

Edited by klfrodo

Camper 49,

'Enough' varies from person to person and depends on your unique situation. I just wrote an answer on another thread that probably applies here, as well:

As for choosing the best policy for a traveler's needs, some pertinent facts would include:

-Do you have Pre Existing Condtitions that need to be covered?

-Do you have elderly, very young or frail health family members back home?

-Are you traveling during a period when inclement weather could impact your travel?

-Do you need work related coverage?

-Do you need to cover flight costs? Connection delays?

-Do you need CFAR coverage?

-Does your age make cruiseline coverage an attractively priced alternative?

-Do you need primary or secondary coverage?

-What coverage levels do you want?

So, answer the above and we can tell you if the Princess policy is a good fit for you, or if you may want to purchase third party insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am usually really picky about my insurance and use a 3rd party as Princess's policy doesn't financially cover much, given a real medical emergency. Though - given you are going to Alaska and you are American, I am guessing your regular medical insurance will cover you well in Alaska. You only need to worry about your one day in Canada on an Alaskan cruise and then even that, you can easily get back to the US easily from Vancouver/Victoria and evacuation. So if you like Princess's policy - it is not bad when you are in the US.

We would reiterate Coral's post. Our long time "rant" about so-called Cruise or Travel Insurance is that the maximum medical coverage is often capped at $10,000 (sometimes less)! We think this is limit is far to low....and could quickly lead to personal bankruptcy if a major medical event occurs in an area where one is not covered by their regular medical policy. We do agree that the risk is minimal on a Canada/Alaskan cruise since many US policies do give emergency coverage in Canada. However, for those on Medicare....this is not the case (Medicare offers no coverage outside the USA (except in a couple of very rare situations). So seniors (which include myself) that rely on Medicare need to carefully evaluate their own situation and take a hard look at the coverage granted by their Advantage Plans or Supplemental Plans.

Hank