Christmas on vacation

krijkee

Hi! We have a 3 week European cruise booked in Nov/Dec and then spending another week or two after the cruise that will take us over Christmas.

How do you handle the Santa thing and gifts? We would be leaving home Nov 25 and returning around Dec 29.

I can't decide how to do it. We have 3 kids 9,7 and 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

That's rough...I know at that age, for me...I would have been devastated to have "missed" Santa. Older, when they are not believers...sure...but not at that age. Don't know what to tell you!

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but think back to when you were a "believer"....

I would do Christmas at home, and travel later, to be honest!

Edited by cb at sea

I would research the Christmas traditions of the country/countries you are to visit. I believe in Germany, children get gifts on Dec. 6...Reassure them that Santa doesn't just give gifts to children in the US, but because there are so many, he might bring gifts on different days. EM

I would bring an empty bag and folded wrapping paper and buy little things they show interest in as you travel. The older ones will remember forever the Christmas they spent in whatever city you're in. They won't remember the things, but the experience. You could also give them a wrapped envelope with Euros to go shopping with.

Best,

Mia

We just did a cruise over Christmas with our 11 y/o (who still believes) and it worked out so well we will be cruising over Christmas again this year. I know you will be on your land travels on Christmas, but being on the ship was great. For our Celebrity ship Santa "landed" on the heli-pad then walked into the theater where he sat down and greeted each child on board with a small gift. As far as Santa and our house we explained to him that Santa will be stopping at the house for Christmas and the presents would be waiting when he got home. When leaving for our vacation I got the kid into the car while the wife quickly ran around and put the presents under the tree. We also explained to him Santa's elves would find him no matter where in the world. So we had packed stockings and a small gift from home, which was in the stocking Christmas morning. The wife had also brought a little garland to decorate our cabin.

We have taken two Christmas time cruises and loved them: decorations, Christmas Eve show, late night gingerbread house and ice sculptures buffet, mass, enjoying the holiday season at the ports, etc. The Santa onboard will give kids a gift each plus we will bring a small gift to leave by my daughter's bed very late on Christmas Eve so she finds it in the morning. Any additional gifts will be under the tree at home to be discovered when we get home. In our experience, being on a ship for Christmas is so exciting and different that gifts are not the focus on Christmas morning (or later when we get home). Any little thing will do.

In your case, you will be on land on Christmas morning. I would bring a small gift for Christmas morning and focus on whichever are the Christmas customs of the place where you are that day. Rick Steves has a book on Christmas in Europe discussing customs and celebrations you may join. Do some research on the place where you will be on Christmas Day. Several years ago we spent Christmas in Rome. We took a tour with Context Travel in which we saw creches at churches and ate nougat. Each church has a beautiful creche on display, and the Befana (a witch who leaves candy or coal if you are bad on Jan 6th) Market at Piazza Navona is very colorful. Some day, we will go to Germany for Christmas and arrive early to enjoy the markets.

In sum, the number and costs of gifts won't matter much because being on the trip will be magic and so different from being at home.

Here's how I would probably do it:

Tell your kids that the cruise is the gift you're giving to each other. Then tell your kids that Santa knows you're traveling and that you can't take a lot of gifts home in your luggage.

Alternatively, give them token gifts from Santa on Christmas day, and have gifts waiting for you when you get home.

Here's how I would probably do it:

Tell your kids that the cruise is the gift you're giving to each other. Then tell your kids that Santa knows you're traveling and that you can't take a lot of gifts home in your luggage.

Alternatively, give them token gifts from Santa on Christmas day, and have gifts waiting for you when you get home.

This exactly!

• 2 weeks later...

We did a Christmas cruise when my kids were 10 & 12. We were on the ship Christmas Day and I just brought presents that I had pre wrapped and put under a "Christmas" tree ( not really, but close enough!) that we had arranged before had to b in our room. The kids had a great time decorating the tree with small items from the ship, such as drink umbrellas!

Well, I'm still a believer ::D

I would bring a small gift for each child (from mom and dad) and let them exchange a small gift between them (I have two kids).

Our stockings would stay at home so those would get filled there. And Santa gifts would be at home too. Might have to enlist a friend to make this work. All other family gifts will be under the tree, and opened when we get back.

Our Christmas tradition is to go OVERBOARD. There are only four in our family but tons of presents under the tree. Some are joke gifts, some are trick gifts, and some are food treats, not everything is a toy or expensive gift. But we have FUN watching each other open gifts.

I've struggled with the idea of how we would do a xmas trip (I really want to!) and this is what I'd do.

WE also have 2 elves, and I'm sure they would sneak into our suitcases and cause some havoc on our trip. :D

Much depends on what your "normal " Christmas is like and then figure out how that can best transition for you.

The one thing that occurs to me (Especially if you have young kids) is that other families may do things differently than you do. In the kids club the next day, all the kids may be talking about what Santa brought them, and if your kid gets nothing from Santa,.... you may want to prevent that with "well we left our stockings at home and a note for Santa, so he know to leave all our gifts at our house". Might prevent some hurt feelings. Or maybe write a note for Santa before you leave to explain that you will be travelling so please fill the stockings at the house and leave our presents under the tree, we'll open them when we get back."