Flying to Bergen

russg140

We are leaving from Bergen next June and were looking at airfare. After seeing all the comments we decided to book on our own and discovered Norwegian - totally new to us. We booked JFK to Bergen (through Oslo) and London Gatwick back to JFK and got premium cabin seats for about $1700US p.p. Checking other airlines, including SAS, business was over twice that. Norwegian is no frills in coach (I think you even have to pay for water!) but it's cheap. Just something to consider from a fellow cruiser.

We are leaving from Bergen next June and were looking at airfare. After seeing all the comments we decided to book on our own and discovered Norwegian - totally new to us. We booked JFK to Bergen (through Oslo) and London Gatwick back to JFK and got premium cabin seats for about $1700US p.p. Checking other airlines, including SAS, business was over twice that. Norwegian is no frills in coach (I think you even have to pay for water!) but it's cheap. Just something to consider from a fellow cruiser.

Thank you for the tip. I heard about them but never booked Norwegian. The premium seats you bought are they premium economy or business?

Thank you for the tip. I heard about them but never booked Norwegian. The premium seats you bought are they premium economy or business?

They call it just premium and it looks like a cross between PE and Business. Seats recline to almost flat, extra legroom, drinks and meals, 2 bags per person included and lounge access.

It'll be our first time, but hope to have a good experience.

They call it just premium and it looks like a cross between PE and Business. Seats recline to almost flat, extra legroom, drinks and meals, 2 bags per person included and lounge access.

It'll be our first time, but hope to have a good experience.

Thank you! Let us know please how was it. Happy travel! :)

It sounds like a good price, but there are some big limitations: (1) they don't fly this route every day of the week -- we want a Wednesday, but no dice; (2) they don't fly direct JFK to OSL; (3) the return is from Gatwick not Heathrow. This may not be a problem for many people, but those are all deal-breakers for us.

It sounds like a good price, but there are some big limitations: (1) they don't fly this route every day of the week -- we want a Wednesday, but no dice; (2) they don't fly direct JFK to OSL; (3) the return is from Gatwick not Heathrow. This may not be a problem for many people, but those are all deal-breakers for us.

We didn't mind the connection through Oslo and leaving out of Gatwick (vs. Heathrow) may be better as GTW is significantly less busy (as I understand it). As for the restrictions on departure dates, we used that to our advantage to try to spend an extra night in Bergen to get a flavor for Norway. We're looking forward to having dinner at a local restaurant and trying some Norwegian specialties. We added two days in London to see friends and family, try some great restaurants and maybe see a show.

Sorry, but that's an airline I don't think I'd enjoy flying.

I have flown with Norwegian, albeit not long haul, and they were fine. I've experienced worse on many standard airlines, including BA and North American airlines which are more like no-frills carriers these days.

We booked Newark to Oslo nonstop on SAS in their premium economy section for just under $1400 RT. And personally I'd take SAS premium economy over Norwegian premium any day (plus we can bid on an upgrade to business for about $350 each way... handy for the overnight east bound segment, not really worth it westbound IMHO).

I'd say you got a fair deal but don't get too excited about Norwegian Premium.... it's not really close to what we typically think of for transatlantic business.

Flying out of Bergen is tough. Our home airport is Phila ( could do Newark but it's an hour away.) I've be struggling for for months trying to find a way home that is no more than 1 stop and no overnight layover (London). I checked the various low cost European carriers and I thought I had is all figured out by paying for a cheap short flight on Norwegian to London (Gatwick) and getting a ground or train connection to LHR until I realized that Norwegian doesn't fly to London on the date I need.:') I even checked Icelandic Air since they fly to PHL. Times didn't coordinate. Back to the drawing board. There are very few airlines that fly out of BGO. KLM is one of them, so I think we will pay for a short flight to AMS and fly direct from AMS to Phila. We are using our FF miles for the rest of the trip so the cost of the connection to AMS is worth it to us not to have to make 2 stops.

We came from New Zealand and had four days in London prior to joining Viking in Bergen for he Homelands cruise in June 2015. We arranged our own flight to Bergen and was as follows

"flight with Norweigan It leaves London Gatwick at 0840am and is a direct flight.

At the moment it`s NZD292.00 for two tickets which include luggage."

(Quote from our travel agent)

I had researched how to get from the airport to the port (bus) but we were lucky enough to arrive in Bergen at the same time as the Viking included flight from Iceland arrived. I asked one of the numerous Viking reps at the airport if we could transfer with them on one of the many buses they had waiting and it was no problem at all. No charge and they made us feel very welcome.