Shanghai hotels

yamanid

Hi will be spending 3 or 4 days in Shanghai next July after we have been on Majestic Princess - Are looking at the following Hotels, Radisson Blu, New World, Nanjing Road West and Sofitel Hyland, Nanjing Road East

Does anyone know oanything about these Hotels or have stayed at either of them - and could you give us some help in choosing? Thanks in advance :)

New World is a very nice hotel but, in my opinion, in kind of a dull neighborhood. The plusses are it's across from a large park, next to a mall (what in Shanghai isn't next to a mall) and convenient to Line 2 subway.

Radisson Blu is adjacent to People's Square and at the foot of the famous East Nanjing Road shopping street. Very nice hotel. There is lots to do and see around here. The Bund is about a 20 minute walk or take nearby Line 2 one stop and walk from there. Also close to subway lines 1 and 8 People's Square stop.

Sofitel Hyland, also very nice, is right on the lively East Nanjing Road shopping street, about midway between People's Square and The Bund, 10 minute walk to them both in opposite directions. Close to subway Line 2 and 10

They're each really nice places. What do you want in a hotel location? Plenty to do withing walking distance? Then New World doesn't fit the bill. Radisson Blu being adjacent to People's Square is a big plus, and Hyland Sofitel being a 10 minute walk to the Bund is a big plus.

You're sure to enjoy Shanghai at any of the three.

If you don't mind...perhaps you might consider the Grand Central Hotel...just steps from Nanjing Road and approx 5+ min walk to the Bund. It actually sits very close to the Sofitel.

We've stayed at this amazing hotel a few times and it's a favorite...I recommend it often and the feedback has always been .... incredible !!!!

New World is a very nice hotel but, in my opinion, in kind of a dull neighborhood. The plusses are it's across from a large park, next to a mall (what in Shanghai isn't next to a mall) and convenient to Line 2 subway.

Radisson Blu is adjacent to People's Square and at the foot of the famous East Nanjing Road shopping street. Very nice hotel. There is lots to do and see around here. The Bund is about a 20 minute walk or take nearby Line 2 one stop and walk from there. Also close to subway lines 1 and 8 People's Square stop.

Sofitel Hyland, also very nice, is right on the lively East Nanjing Road shopping street, about midway between People's Square and The Bund, 10 minute walk to them both in opposite directions. Close to subway Line 2 and 10

They're each really nice places. What do you want in a hotel location? Plenty to do withing walking distance? Then New World doesn't fit the bill. Radisson Blu being adjacent to People's Square is a big plus, and Hyland Sofitel being a 10 minute walk to the Bund is a big plus.

Thank You so much for your quick reply and good info on the Hotels - sorry if I misled you but it is only 2 Hotels we are interested in The RADISSON BLU NEW WORLD and the SOFITEL HYLAND not the NEW WORLD HOTEL

Thanks again for taking the time to help us:)

If you don't mind...perhaps you might consider the Grand Central Hotel...just steps from Nanjing Road and approx 5+ min walk to the Bund. It actually sits very close to the Sofitel.

We've stayed at this amazing hotel a few times and it's a favorite...I recommend it often and the feedback has always been .... incredible !!!!

Thank you so much we will have a look at the Grand Central Hotel sounds GOOD:)

I have stayed at Hyatt on the Bund. It has a beautiful rooftop bar/restaurant overlooking the river and the city skyline.

Thank you so much for the info - I will have a look at that one too :)

We also stayed at Hyatt on the Bund (most of my travel to Shanghai has been for work and I'm in a local business hotel near where my meetings are) One trip my husband came with me and we stayed at the HOTB for the tourist portion of our trip. Had a club room with river view - loved it! (if I give my husband a view of boats, he's always happy - just like a 5 yr old :p) The one downside is it's a bit of a walk to a subway station -didn't bother us to walk but do be aware. We tended to take a cab out in the morning and then make our way back via walking & subway.

(given that we wanted a river view and to be on the Puxi side -it was really the only hotel that fit the bill. We considered the Peninsula but the reviews at the Hyatt were better and it fit our budget MUCH better:D I don't recall the Peace Hotel has many river view rooms, so that was an issue. And we had a drink at the Long Bar at the Waldorf - lovely- but were glad we chose the Hyatt as our hotel.

Hi Thank you again - we want to be quite central for plenty to do but also do not mind having to walk to get to places - although Radisson Blu is opposite People's Square, do you think you would favour Sofitel for much more to do around that area? many thanks :)

Thank you so much we will have a look at the Grand Central Hotel sounds GOOD:)

I agree with Ashland, we have stayed at this hotel and the location is great. Ask for a room facing the people's square. There is a HOP ON HOP OFF pickup location very close also.

Hi Thank you again - we want to be quite central for plenty to do but also do not mind having to walk to get to places - although Radisson Blu is opposite People's Square, do you think you would favour Sofitel for much more to do around that area? many thanks :)

I'm not sure about rates you have been quoted, or how focused you are on budget which may help you decide. Sofitel Hyland is my choice for family members and friends visiting Shanghai as they have agreed that the rates are very fair for such a good hotel in a good location.

As you don't mind walking, Sofitel Hyland is close enough to People's Square and all the attractions in that area so as to not be an inconvenience at all in that respect.

As for stepping out the door and having more to see and do close by, that would be the Radisson Blu, though Sofital Hyland is directly on the lively East Nanjing Road pedestrian street about midway between People's Square and The Bund.

You may get better city views from your room at the Radisson Blu, which is also a larger and taller hotel, and with the landmark "Blu" glass-domed lounge on the roof providing spectacular city views.

It's a close call.

Royal Plaza on Scotts in near the Orchard Road station. We stayed there for several nights last year. It is a five star hotel with a great price ($175 per night). Many restaurants are near. In fact, we found some excellent restaurants where you can eat for less than $10 pp.

Royal Plaza on Scotts in near the Orchard Road station. We stayed there for several nights last year. It is a five star hotel with a great price ($175 per night). Many restaurants are near. In fact, we found some excellent restaurants where you can eat for less than $10 pp.

Hi Thanks for the info - I take it you are now talking about Singapore?:)