What to pack for October Mediterranian cruise?

Having gone on two Med cruises in October, I agree that where you are can make a difference.

Generally, I wore lightweight long pants, sometimes sandals/sometimes shoes & sox, sometimes short sleeved shirts/sometimes long, sometimes a hooded rain jacket and/or a microfleece layer.

• 4 weeks later...

Late October

Wore mostly capris and short sleeves

Long pants in evening

Light sweater or jacket

But occasionally shorts and fleece

We had mostly weather in 70s during day

We did Rome to Venice with stops in Greece and Dubrovnik

Lovely time of the year would do it this way again

Linked below is what I'm planning to take on our trip this October to the same places. We're spending 3 days in Rome before and 3 days in Venice after our 9-night cruise. Thanks to all of the wonderful advice I've read on here, I'm pretty happy that I can fit all of this in a carry-on if I needed to. I tried it, and it worked (including socks, underwear, scarves, and an extra bra), and I still had room for toiletries. I now understand why packing cubes are all the rage - they are amazing!

I still want to find a super comfortable pair of black sneakers - maybe Skechers? And an easier to wash long-sleeve shirt as an alternative to the white one I included on my PP slide.

I failed miserably at trying to upload the photos, so here is the link to my blog post.

For those of you who have done this trip before, any suggestions?

Edited by JenMJM

We are going in early October to Italy, Greece and Turkey.

In early October ports in southern parts of Greece, Turkey (e.g., Kusadasi) and Italy (e.g., Naples, Sicily) can be very warm still. I boarded a cruise a few years ago in Athens on the last day of September and it was 100 degrees (and continued in the high 90s for the next 4-5 days as we traveled to Israel....)

Take mostly t-shirts (short or 3/4 sleeve, maybe a couple of long-sleeved ones) and light pants or capris. Then bring layers to vary as needed: a cardigan or light-weight fleece for warmth, a lightweight rain jacket can also serve as a windbreaker and can be layered with the fleece or cardy for extra warmth if needed.

Comfortable shoes are a must -- I don't pack a lot of shoes, but I do bring two pairs for walking so I can alternate or so I have a spare in case something happens to one...

I think the temperature estimate of 40s and 50s is low for that time of year. I'd expect 60s and 70s with perhaps an occasional dip into the 50s but probably warms up quickly during the day.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I'm getting excited. Only 6 months to wait. I bought a set of packing cubes to help cross-packing with my husband. We are doing two days in Rome pre-cruise, ten days on Celebrity Reflection and 2 days in London on our way home to Texas. I'll definitely need a light weight rain jacket and layers to be prepared for lots of different weather. Hope one carry-on and one checked bag will be enough.

• 4 weeks later...
JenMJM --

For an easier to wash top, assuming you do eBay -- search "wicking" in women's clothes. If you wrap these in a towel and press water out before hanging, they really do dry overnight.

"Wicking" it is! Thank YOU!!!!

We cruised the Med two years ago in October. We were gone for close to 3 weeks and managed fine with 1 suitcase each. We are also cruising to Italy, Turkey & Greece this October.

Layering is key.

-tshirts and a light jacket will be fine for most ports. Perhaps take along 1-2 long sleeved tops in case it's colder.

-capris or ankle length pants, linen pants and a maxi skirt for bottoms along with 1 or 2 pairs of long pants (1 of which I wear on the plane).

- 2 pairs of walking shoes (I prefer Clarks and take a pair of their privos and a pair of ballet flats which have arch support). I wear one pair on the plane.

- a cardigan and scarf (great for visiting mosques and also can change the look of your outfit).

For the ship, I will take a few dress pants and some blouses and will mix and match. I take 2 pairs of dress shoes and 1 pair of sandals. 2 cocktail dresses which are used for formal nights and specialty dining.

• 3 months later...

I am starting to pack as we speak. Tried everything on, I just hope I am making the right choices. Ankle pants, t-shirts with a scarf and a light stretchy travel blazer if I need it. I will have to check the weather, I worry about being too hot.

23 nights, Amsterdam to Venice. No sandals, October seems like fall. Do you think I should pack a pair and a hot weather outfit? We leave October 1st.

Linked below is what I'm planning to take on our trip this October to the same places. We're spending 3 days in Rome before and 3 days in Venice after our 9-night cruise. Thanks to all of the wonderful advice I've read on here, I'm pretty happy that I can fit all of this in a carry-on if I needed to. I tried it, and it worked (including socks, underwear, scarves, and an extra bra), and I still had room for toiletries. I now understand why packing cubes are all the rage - they are amazing!

I still want to find a super comfortable pair of black sneakers - maybe Skechers? And an easier to wash long-sleeve shirt as an alternative to the white one I included on my PP slide.

I failed miserably at trying to upload the photos, so here is the link to my blog post.

For those of you who have done this trip before, any suggestions?

We are leaving in less than 3 weeks for a land and sea tour of the Mediterranean with visits in Venice, Rome, Naples, Florence, Athens, Mykonos, Toulon (Provence of France), Barcelona and ending up in Edinburgh, Scotland for my cousin's wedding.

I'd love to see your packing list but I couldn't find it on your blog. Can you try posting again or let me know how I can find it.

I hear all these people getting things in a carry on and I would love to but I really wonder how especially with Formal Clothes.

Thanks!