Immediate port/pier area in Nassau

sddbb

What is it like? We will be on the breakaway with my parents and my two young children. We plan to go to the Aquarium(only) at the Atlantis, but my parents are not too interested. Wondering if they can get just get off the ship and walk around.

Also, should we just grab a taxi to Atlantis, or should I hire a car? We won't be there for more than 2-3 hours, and plan to get tickets when we get there. Should I buy tickets online instead? I have trouble finding those information online, specifically Atlantis' own website. Is the dig = aquarium?

There are a few shops in the immediate area of the cruise terminal. They used to be inside a long building but the last time I was in Nassau, the building was being remodeled and the shops were in outdoor kiosks. I'm not sure if they have finished the remodeling yet.

If your parents walk a little farther, there are lots more stores along Bay Street and there is also a straw market. Depending on how far they want to go, there are historical buildings as well.

There's no reason to rent a car to get to Atlantis. There are tons of taxis waiting to take you there. The taxis are shared vans and they cost $5 a person. You won't have any problems getting a taxi back to port either. Yes, The Digs is the same thing as the aquarium. Be prepared to do a lot of walking, because Atlantis is huge. :) You may want to pick up some bottled water too since there are no water fountains in Atlantis and everything is very expensive. The aquarium is nice though. Enjoy your visit!

Don't bother with a car. The port area is extremely congested with loads of taxis coming in and out. I would never want to drive there. You just walk off the ship and the taxis are right outside the port gate. Short ride over the bridge in a taxi.

Also keep in mind to get back in good time. We came back from Atlantis and there was a lineup at the pier to go through security at least a half hour long. Ships sail without you if you're still in the lineup - I know this from personal experience!

• 2 weeks later...

How far is Atlantis from the pier? We have two little ones and if we take taxis I assume there will be no car seats, right? Also, is it easy to grab a taxi at Atlantis back to the ship? We plan to spend only about 3 hours or so there at most. Can I get tickets to the aquarium when we get there?

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Hilton. Will my parents be able to walk there themselves from the pier and is it safe area to walk around with?

Finally, any conch fritters within walking distance from the pier?

A taxi would be good to get to the Hilton unless people are walkers.

It's not very far, but there are a lot of vendors around the pier and on the way to the Hilton.

The Hilton is a good place to have lunch or a drink and relax. A day pass is available which includes lunch and use of the pools and beach.

• 2 weeks later...
How far is Atlantis from the pier? We have two little ones and if we take taxis I assume there will be no car seats, right? Also, is it easy to grab a taxi at Atlantis back to the ship? We plan to spend only about 3 hours or so there at most.

If you don't prefer to take a taxi, you can always take the ferry over instead. My last trip there was more than ten years ago, so I can't give you current info, but that's how I got to Atlantis both times I went.

• 2 weeks later...
How far is Atlantis from the pier? We have two little ones and if we take taxis I assume there will be no car seats, right? Also, is it easy to grab a taxi at Atlantis back to the ship? We plan to spend only about 3 hours or so there at most. Can I get tickets to the aquarium when we get there?

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Hilton. Will my parents be able to walk there themselves from the pier and is it safe area to walk around with?

Finally, any conch fritters within walking distance from the pier?

It's way too far to walk with little ones. It might be a few miles at most, but wouldn't even want to walk it with just adults. I have never seen car seats in cabs - though my kids are older and haven't noticed. Taxis are plentiful from Atlantis. There's staff at the main entrance to help you get a taxi - they come and go non-stop. I don't know about getting the tickets at Atlantis - I assume so, but I don't know.

Have never seen conch fritters (but again, wasn't looking)

I can't comment on the Hilton - but I see others are offering insight.