What to pack?!!

Hi All!!!

Myself and my boyfriend are going on our first cruise in January on the Thomson Dream around the caribbean.

The thing is, I really don't know what to pack! Is it dressy all the time, what do I wear during the day/night and also the captain's dinner - do I have to wear long or short dresses?

As we're new to cruising, any advice about everything would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

:o xx

Can’t really help with girly dressing....other than lots of resort wear/floaty kaftans during the day and sparkly things in the evenings

your bf will need long chinos/polo shirts (no shorts/crops) for evening dining in the main dining room and at least a shirt and tie for gala night, many will be wearing black tie dinner suit on this night and the ladies in full evening/cocktail dresses, your bf can get away with a shirt and tie or you don’t have to go at all and stick with the casual buffet restaurants where the only criteria is to wear clothes

hope this helps

Hi All!!!

Myself and my boyfriend are going on our first cruise in January on the Thomson Dream around the caribbean.

The thing is, I really don't know what to pack! Is it dressy all the time, what do I wear during the day/night and also the captain's dinner - do I have to wear long or short dresses?

As we're new to cruising, any advice about everything would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

:o xx

Hello fairydust - and welcome to the world of cruising and especially to the Thomson Forum. :) There's plenty of help to be had on here so anything you want to know about life on board, destinations and ideas for excursions I'm sure someone will be able to help.

First of all, dress is very personal and you should go for whatever you feel comfortable with but to give you an idea:

Daytime; shorts, crops T-shirts, light-weight tops, swimwear (no need to take beach towels, you can use the pool towels provided on the ship - changed daily should you wish)

Evening: in the main dining room it's 'smart casual'. Most people do change for dinner into something which doesn't look like what you've been wearing in the day. Shorts are not permitted in the main dining room in the evening although you can go to the Lido for your evening meal dressed casually if you don't want to dress up in the evening. For the main dining room maxi dress, smart casual trousers and dressy tops (I take 2/3 pairs of smart trousers -white, cream or black are adaptable then mix and match with pretty, often flimsy tops to make quite a lot of different outfits - also helps to keep luggage weight down), skirts or summer dresses are all acceptable.

Gala night: again a maxi dress would be ok but often cocktail-style or long dresses or dressy trousers and top are worn - it is the opportunity to dress up a little and make an occasion of it. Quite a lot of men wear Djs so it's clear people make this a bit more special by dressing up a bit more - sparkly tops - lots of things available these days to dress up a smart pair of trousers or a long dress typical of those available in may high street outlets. (I once got a bargain Principles long dress for £25 - I've certainly had my money's worth the number of times it's had an airing on Gala night!! :D )

hope that helps - you'll have a fantastic time. Enjoy your planning - it's all part of the fun! ;)

Aww thanks for this guys it really helps me! I've got 39 days (not that I'm counting!! :-) ) to get sorted!

Really looking forward to it and knowing that we're taking the right things makes it so much more exciting!

I think with the old perception of cruises being for old people and very dressy, it's quite difficult to know until you've been on them yourself!

Thanks again! X

Aww thanks for this guys it really helps me! I've got 39 days (not that I'm counting!! :-) ) to get sorted!

Really looking forward to it and knowing that we're taking the right things makes it so much more exciting!

I think with the old perception of cruises being for old people and very dressy, it's quite difficult to know until you've been on them yourself!

Thanks again! X

Less of the OLD people young lady lol ;)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Honestly!?

Christmas has come early

ms magot has been busy packing for our cruise a week early!:rolleyes:

I've seen lots of new things going into the bag....skimpy....floaty things:eek:

and

she has unpacked my suitcase and is busy replacing everything with the things she likes/has bought for me!:(

Sunglasses: Harvey Nichols (bit flimsy)

Flip-flops: Fit Flops (It'll be yoga next!)

Wallet: Radley (bit colourful)

Trainers: Timberland: (even more colourful)

Socks: Barbour: (aren’t they for wearing with wellies?)

Shorts: Fred Perry (aka Eric Morecambe)

Shirt: Ralph Lauren (fitted, on me.....not a good look)

Sun Hat: (Army Desert Camo...Banned in Barbados?!)

Fer Dogs Sake!? What’s wrong with my old stuff?

Girls, Girls.....if you do this...I know you're only trying to help and I don’t wish to be ungrateful........but??

Honestly!?

Christmas has come early

and

she has unpacked my suitcase and is busy replacing everything with the things she likes/has bought for me!:(

Girls, Girls.....if you do this...I know you're only trying to help and I don’t wish to be ungrateful........but??

correct , you will end up in the slammer :D

• 3 months later...

I think the foolproof packing combination against any weather includes the following:

waterproof/breathable jacket against both wind/rain - You can purchase very lightweight ones that will take up little suitcase space. These are useful even on windy days, so are super useful. I look for ones that are a bit more classy/less sporty, so they look good for more occasions!

warm layer - I've always loved fleece, but have recently purchased some really high quality wool clothing even for warm weather. It insulates when needed, but also breathes. Best of all, it doesn't hold odors like many of the synthetics.

a nice looking hat - If I don't have an umbrella, I like to use a hat, which is obviously good for both sun and rain. This is essential for me because I have glasses. I try to avoid bringing an umbrella and unless the rain is really heavy the jacket/hat combination works great.

I've also been looking for other packing advice... and frankly, I feel overwhelmed by the amount of lists out there!! (I could fill 3 suitcases!) I'm trying so hard to pack light. I found some nice simple advice here, including the idea of coordinating colors of your outfits so you can mix and match. :) Sadly, I always worry that I'll get sick of only a couple outfits... but I guess not on a one week cruise! http://www.cheapestcruise.info/packing-for-a-cruise/

Honestly!?

Christmas has come early

and

Geo!

having same issues here, all clothes on bed on saturday when i returned from my shift.

what you doing i said its over 95 days before we go.. I want to make sure all your shirst and shorts match, and are colour coordinated.

WHAT!!! its shorts and tshirts ,,, it dont matter,,

apparently it does!

Carrs:D:D

Geo!

having same issues here, all clothes on bed on saturday when i returned from my shift.

what you doing i said its over 95 days before we go.. I want to make sure all your shirst and shorts match, and are colour coordinated.

WHAT!!! its shorts and tshirts ,,, it dont matter,,

apparently it does!

ha!...a kindred soul;)

my packing consists of shorts, flip flops and ipod and maybe an extra t shirt (in case of gravy stain):o

ms magot takes things like....a sewing kit?...sewing? she never sews at home?...she just chucks things out (usually my things!)

takes things like: 15 different types of plug adaptors, in the hope that one will fit? one will fit...yes... the one that doesn’t work!

things like: 25 shades of lipstick:confused:

her 'I married an idiot' T shirt (a gift from her mother on the occasion of our 10th wedding anniversary)

an artic strength parka!:eek:....just in case

washing up liquid? sellotape? a flashing emergency lantern that floats!...etc etc.....:)

ha!...a kindred soul;)

my packing consists of shorts, flip flops and ipod and maybe an extra t shirt (in case of gravy stain):o

I know most of my suitcase allocation will go on Her clothes,

ms magot takes things like....a sewing kit?...sewing? she never sews at home?...she just chucks things out (usually my things!)

takes things like: 15 different types of plug adaptors, in the hope that one will fit? one will fit...yes... the one that doesn’t work!

what adaptor is the right one>?

things like: 25 shades of lipstick:confused:

her 'I married an idiot' T shirt (a gift from her mother on the occasion of our 10th wedding anniversary) ohhh thats harsh "my mother inlaw is joining us on the cruise"... thinking of the right tshirt now!

an artic strength parka!:eek:....just in case

mmm this is to familiar:D

washing up liquid? sellotape? a flashing emergency lantern that floats!...etc etc.....:)

i've commented above!

Carrs

This thread is hilarious :D

Packing in my house is so easy and this is from my (female) perspective......whatever you will 'definately wear' goes in, anything thats a 'might wear' stays behind and if on arrival something has been left behind well theres always that thing called shops!! Maybe I just have the family well trained! lol

I think the foolproof packing combination against any weather includes the following:

waterproof/breathable jacket against both wind/rain - You can purchase very lightweight ones that will take up little suitcase space. These are useful even on windy days, so are super useful. I look for ones that are a bit more classy/less sporty, so they look good for more occasions!

Lucy I have the very thing :)

It just so happens I'm down to my last six for sale on E-bay (aint sold any yet)

but they are just the very thing for those ladies early morning strolls upon deck :D

Geo .. I will save one for you ,to slip into Mrs Geomagots case for the next cruise if you wish :D

This is the at sea fashion "Head Turner" of 2013 :cool:

seawear.jpg

Thing to pack for a cruise is always an 4-Gang 13 amp Socket with 1 m Extension Lead. First thing in the case. It saves all the fuss when trying to charge cameras and things when wanting to use hair straighteners. On the Destiny the pug socket was always high up and the extension lead was great. This was a tip I read here before our first ever cruise.

I had a lot of things I never wore on my first cruise Jan this year and ended up buying a couple of sundresses and a sarong from the island markets. Even managed to haggle for one, something I have never been good at. Plenty of thin flimsy clothes is my advice. I took too much in the way of "what I thought was expected of me on a cruise" stuff that could have stayed in the case. Anything goes things for daytime and light trousers and blouses suited fine for the evenings. I worried about gala night as I didn't want to spend a fortune on an evening dress I might never wear again, so didn't and bought one I was comfy in, and I felt ok with what everyone else was dressed in.

Hubby, well a different story there. I took my camera to get a photo of him with a tie on, that in itself being a rarity! He looked fine in decent trousers, white shirt and tie, and was not the only one without a suit. Again, I didn't want the expense on something he wouldn't wear. He was fine daytime and normal evening wear.

Be comfortable. If you like dressing up to be special no problem. A lot were for gala night, but it is your holiday, so don't be uncomfortable with what you wear.

well.......just had my Next order delivered ...oh dear i will be in trouble ....6 huge bags full but i didnt keep it all !! .............Only half !!;)

I said i wouldnt buy anything.....dont need it do i ???

Just had a quick look.... :eek:

Already bought several dresses from eBay ( i love eBay , its how i earn my living ) usually buy a few dresses, wear them on hol, come back and re-sell .....hopefully for a profit .....KERCHING !!!!! ;)

Better have a look at hubbys stuff, he cant get in his shirts from last year, too much chocolate but seems a shame to buy anything new, hel only need it for a couple of weeks.... i'll get some elastic, pop a bit on his shirt buttons and trousers, will be fine... :eek: ;)

well.......just had my Next order delivered ...oh dear i will be in trouble ....6 huge bags full but i didnt keep it all !! .............Only half !!;)

I said i wouldnt buy anything.....dont need it do i ???

Just had a quick look.... :eek:

Already bought several dresses from eBay ( i love eBay , its how i earn my living ) usually buy a few dresses, wear them on hol, come back and re-sell .....hopefully for a profit .....KERCHING !!!!! ;)

Better have a look at hubbys stuff, he cant get in his shirts from last year, too much chocolate but seems a shame to buy anything new, hel only need it for a couple of weeks.... i'll get some elastic, pop a bit on his shirt buttons and trousers, will be fine... :eek: ;)

This sounds a bit familiar.

Actually too familiar

Carrs

Yeh Carrs then we bring half back un-worn lol :D:D:D

my Good lady is very alike! caught her packing holiday stuff last week, sill almost 3 months to go

and she was colour coordintating my shirts and shorts!!!

i mean its casual wear that will end up cpvered in tan cream and beer!!! lol

:D:D

carrs

Archived