Christmas Eve in Mexico

chefestelle

Yay! I just booked the Veendam for Mexico 7 days starting December 20! So excited! What I'm wondering is if anyone has any insights into booking the Pinnacle Grill on Christmas Eve. We will have been in Puerto Vallarta for the day and will be at sea on Xmas. So I'm thinking Christmas will be the formal night. Any experience with that particular trip?

Yay! I just booked the Veendam for Mexico 7 days starting December 20! So excited! What I'm wondering is if anyone has any insights into booking the Pinnacle Grill on Christmas Eve. We will have been in Puerto Vallarta for the day and will be at sea on Xmas. So I'm thinking Christmas will be the formal night. Any experience with that particular trip?

The Pinnacle might have restricted bookings for Xmas Eve, Xmas, you might not be able to book until you are onboard, FYI.

Yes, Christmas Eve likely will be formal. The times we cruised over Christmas, it was.

So Christmas Eve formal though it's a port day and Christmas Day not formal? And thanks for that number, Krazy Kruiser. That will make it easier.

Edited by chefestelle

So Christmas Eve formal though it's a port day and Christmas Day not formal? And thanks for that number, Krazy Kruiser. That will make it easier.

Nothing is carved in stone. That has been my experience through the years but who knows if that will be yours. Things are fluid on the ships and consistency is not necessarily rigidly obvious. :)

We had one time when Christmas Eve was formal and Christmas Day formal optional..... whatever that means.

Thanks! I just wouldn't want Christmas to go by like any other day. I would like to have formal night in the MDR but want a nice dinner for both Xmas eve and Xmas day! I'm going to call that number and see if they can make a good suggestion.

We did this cruise last year and loved it. We had PG reservations for Christmas Eve as it is DW's Birthday. We had it booked well in advance online in our HAL account and it was not formal that night.

Thanks! Was it a port day as well?

Yes, Christmas was a sea day but it was Puerto Vallarta if I remember right on Christmas Eve. It was a bit fuzzy that night.:eek::D

Edited by Jim Avery

Thanks! I just wouldn't want Christmas to go by like any other day. I would like to have formal night in the MDR but want a nice dinner for both Xmas eve and Xmas day! I'm going to call that number and see if they can make a good suggestion.

Christmas Eve and Christmas do not go by unrecognized on HAL ships. On Christmas Eve, usually everyone (who wishes) gathers in the show lounge and the crew choir sings Carols in different languages. Sometimes the Captain officially lights the Christmas Tree in the Lounge. Often when we came out of the lounge, there was a beautiful buffet all set out for us to enjoy.

Christmas dinner is a special menu, Santa arrives in the morning and brings small gifts for the children, the ships are beautifully decorated throughout and the day is most assuredly 'not just another day'.

Of course, you need to keep in mind not everyone celebrates Christmas so there is just so much they can do. They need to keep a reasonable balance.

You could always double book the Pinnacle for both days and cancel the one you're not going to use. It will be refunded as onboard credit. I'm guessing that with a username like Chef Estelle, you don't want to be one of those people who double book, but the Pinnacle won't have a problem filling your table on either night.

We had dinner in PG on Christmas Eve last year on the Zuiderdam and it was lovely! We went horseback riding on HMC Christmas day which made the day quite memorable, pretty sure dinner was not formal.There was a tree lighting ceremony on the 19th in the atrium, lead by the Captain with staff on the stairs above singing carols. We also loved the Christmas Eve show with the crew. Lots of decorations all around the ship - they even painted "Merry Christmas & Happy New Year" on the hull.

Just curious, did you book thru a TA or directly with HAL to get the upsell offer?

Congrats to you and your daughter - enjoy a fabulous cruise!

You could always double book the Pinnacle for both days and cancel the one you're not going to use. It will be refunded as onboard credit. I'm guessing that with a username like Chef Estelle, you don't want to be one of those people who double book, but the Pinnacle won't have a problem filling your table on either night.

Haha. The name is an inside joke but I am embarrassed by inconsiderate behaviour so I'm glad to hear they would have no trouble filling a cancellation. Presumably I'll know early in the morning too if it's to be a formal night!

We had dinner in PG on Christmas Eve last year on the Zuiderdam and it was lovely! We went horseback riding on HMC Christmas day which made the day quite memorable, pretty sure dinner was not formal.There was a tree lighting ceremony on the 19th in the atrium, lead by the Captain with staff on the stairs above singing carols. We also loved the Christmas Eve show with the crew. Lots of decorations all around the ship - they even painted "Merry Christmas & Happy New Year" on the hull.

Just curious, did you book thru a TA or directly with HAL to get the upsell offer?

Congrats to you and your daughter - enjoy a fabulous cruise!

Our Christmas Day is at sea so I'm thinking it may be formal. If the booking question was for me, I booked it myself but have not had an upsell. Wouldn't necessarily turn it away but just happy to be going!

Haha. The name is an inside joke but I am embarrassed by inconsiderate behaviour so I'm glad to hear they would have no trouble filling a cancellation. Presumably I'll know early in the morning too if it's to be a formal night!

You should know if it is a formal night when you board as the 1st daily program usually has the full cruise port list with the dress for dinner - casual or formal (or whatever they are calling this now).