Freedom Voom

• 2 weeks later...

On FOS, I'll try to test the internet speeds in various places at various times. First test, probably not representative.

Sitting in Windjammer , 11:41am,

Ping=194,

Download =6.26mB

Upload=3.2MB

On FOS, I'll try to test the internet speeds in various places at various times. First test, probably not representative.

Ping=194,

Download =6.26mB

Upload=3.2MB

Thank you very interested in this going on in a month,

ON the Harmony last month we bought a Voom package and really wasn't Voom at all. Certainly now how the cruise director described it on the morning show each day.

We had on the Allure and it was excellent. We purchased the slightly cheaper package this time and it was a mistake go for top speed even though it costs more.

Ping=194,

Download =6.26mB

Upload=3.2MB

Is this Surf & Stream?

Ping=194,

Download =6.26mB

Upload=3.2MB

I was on the FOS 2 weeks ago and did the test above on the first sea day. You are right, first test was not representative. Toward the end of the week (Saturday) I tried running another test and couldn't even run a test the internet was so bad. Over the course of the week, it slowly declined by the day sorry to say.

Well this is disappointing. Considering a solo cruise next month & was relying on Voom S&S to FaceTime with the wife.

The numbers above would seem to indicate that Facetime would be possible with Surf & Stream on Freedom.

Ping=194,

Download =6.26mB

Upload=3.2MB

Would music apps (Pandora, etc.) work at those speeds?

Works for me then, thanks. All I really want Internet for is streaming music, check email on occasion, be able to check the weather at the next port and news.

You should be fine with the lower cost Surf Only package.

You should be fine with the lower cost Surf Only package.

Thanks, glad to know the wifi on Freedom will meet my needs.

Still though, it would be nice if the Voom on Freedom and other ships for that matter, met the same speeds as Oasis & Allure, as advertised. The Wifi on those two ships is excellent.

Sitting outside the Diamond Lounge, boy is it crowded.... Oops wrong thread......

Ping=207

Down = 6.26mb

Up=3.12mb

Location 28 15 N, 80 21 W

Edited by mac_tlc

Sitting outside the Diamond Lounge, boy is it crowded.... Oops wrong thread......

Ping=207

Down = 6.26mb

Up=3.12mb

The test will be when all those Ds and D+s cash in their internet coupons and start using the BW.:p

So, you guys are saying as of now, it's not worth it to upgrade to the surf & stream package if I want to watch youtube & Netflix? And maybe it's best to just stick with the cheaper surf package.

Can I even check what's going on my twitter timeline?

I know youtube works on Surf only, not sure about Netflix. Surf is plenty for checking twitter. As has been reported in this thread, there are a lot of variables with performance and most guidance here is a best guess (when it comes to a future WiFi experience) even by the most experienced cruisers.

I was on the FOS 2 weeks ago and did the test above on the first sea day. You are right, first test was not representative. Toward the end of the week (Saturday) I tried running another test and couldn't even run a test the internet was so bad. Over the course of the week, it slowly declined by the day sorry to say.

We were probably on the same week as you (17-24 July), and must agree the Internet was terribly slow. We purchased the surf and stream for the last day (after using our D + coupons for 4 days) and could barely even receive e mails, let alone stream anything.

True, but I'm surprised at the consistency of the numbers so far.

Tho the speed numbers seem a bit low (and I assume the first day is the best case scenario) while other O3B ships have been higher. The SURF numbers seem to be lower as well.

Tho the speed numbers seem a bit low (and I assume the first day is the best case scenario) while other O3B ships have been higher. The SURF numbers seem to be lower as well.

I agree, the Freedom numbers seem slower than Oasis class. Could be they are throttling more aggressively.