What To Do? Hampton Inn Miami Downtown/Brickell?

Ramjet1997

We will be in Miami staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami/Brickell Downtown for 1 1/2 days pre-Panama Canal 15 night Celebrity cruise.

Any suggestions on how to spend our limited time as we have not stayed in Miami for many years. Our plans are to not have a rental car.

My questions include:

Where to eat close to hotel (mid priced)

Things must see (walkable)

Things to see (Uber or taxi)

Close-by stores for pop and water and snacks

Is the Mary Brickell Village good?

How to get to Bayside?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated - feel free to add anything you can to the discussion - many thanks in advance!

We will be in Miami staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami/Brickell Downtown for 1 1/2 days pre-Panama Canal 15 night Celebrity cruise.

Any suggestions on how to spend our limited time as we have not stayed in Miami for many years. Our plans are to not have a rental car.

My questions include:

Where to eat close to hotel (mid priced)

Things must see (walkable)

Things to see (Uber or taxi)

Close-by stores for pop and water and snacks

Is the Mary Brickell Village good?

How to get to Bayside?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated - feel free to add anything you can to the discussion - many thanks in advance!

There are a ton of places close to the hotel to eat. What kind of food do you like? That would help narrow down the field a bit.

You are within walking distance to 2 Publix grocery stores, a Walgreen and CVS and a 7-11. You will be able to get everything at any of these. I will say that the Walgreens prices are a bit higher than average.

Mary Brickell village is nice. Not a lot of shopping there, many of the little boutiques are closed or closing as the new owners have raised the rents.

You can take the metro mover from the 10th street stop to Bayside. The concierge will give you the stops to get off of. Either college/bayside or Bayfront. You can take that back or uber. The Uber will be $5 since that's the new minimum here.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this one up again. We are booking this hotel for next June. It will be 2 adults and 2 older teen sons. We will either have 2 full days in Miami or the full Friday. Any attractions that would be recommended?

We like most outdoor type activities, would South Beach be a good walk able activity? We are not big into shopping.

TIA for any ideas offered up.

Jules

Bumping this one up again. We are booking this hotel for next June. It will be 2 adults and 2 older teen sons. We will either have 2 full days in Miami or the full Friday. Any attractions that would be recommended?

We like most outdoor type activities, would South Beach be a good walk able activity? We are not big into shopping.

Jules

Yes for sure head to South Beach. Your kids will love seeing the Miami often seen in movies and tv. There's great beach, people watching, architecture etc. DH and I rented Segways (not a tour) and loved zipping around the beach. You can take the hop on hop off bus tour which will get you to there plus other areas to see. Or a cab or Uber can get to to the area easily.

You might like to catch a water tour from downtown too. It's cool to check out the islands, celebrities ' homes and views.

Jules

Jules, my wife and I are big walkers and walk a lot when we stay downtown but I would not try to walk to South Beach. Too challenging with the roads and a long walk.

I would take a taxi.

We have them drop us off at the beginning of Ocean Drive near where the art deco hotels are located. There is a beach right across the way and you can either go right there or you can walk for quite a bit. We often walk for about a mile including the board walk and anywhere along the way there is the beach. It's a nice way to spend a good part of the day.

For Dinner, we like the Mary Brickell Village area which is a short walk from your hotel. Lots of nice restaurants. A favorite of ours is an Italian Restaurant called Pericones at http://www.pericones.com

That area though has 25 or so restaurants so lots to choose from.

Also there is a Publix Grocery Store there should you need any last minute items.

Keith

Jules, my wife and I are big walkers and walk a lot when we stay downtown but I would not try to walk to South Beach. Too challenging with the roads and a long walk.

I would take a taxi.

We have them drop us off at the beginning of Ocean Drive near where the art deco hotels are located. There is a beach right across the way and you can either go right there or you can walk for quite a bit. We often walk for about a mile including the board walk and anywhere along the way there is the beach. It's a nice way to spend a good part of the day.

For Dinner, we like the Mary Brickell Village area which is a short walk from your hotel. Lots of nice restaurants. A favorite of ours is an Italian Restaurant called Pericones at http://www.pericones.com

That area though has 25 or so restaurants so lots to choose from.

Also there is a Publix Grocery Store there should you need any last minute items.

Keith

Good morning Keith. You have posted that website a couple of times and it does not work. Are you sure you have the right website address? :)

Jules

There is a citi-bike rental kiosk right next to publix and the mpath/underline paved trail is right next to it. You could rent a bike and ride down to coral gables and do some sightseeing, have lunch or dinner then with ride or take the train back to Brickell.

Thank you EandJ, Keith and Zeta3. Sounds like South Beach might be a winner for us. Good to know that we probably can't walk there from the hotel. Also good to hear about a hop on hop off bus. Sounds like fun.

Thank you for taking the time to post such great info.

Jules

Jules

We stayed at this hotel 2 years ago. There is a free shuttle (at that time) that will take you to Bayside Marketplace. A great little shopping/eating/walking/people watching area for a few hours. Lots of restaurants, lots of shops and music right by the bay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...