Transfer Whittier to ANC

happyz

Our party of 4 is looking for transportation from the port in Whittier to ANC. We are considering Alaska Cruise Transportation service (ACT). A few questions..

1. For those that have used this service, was it easy to get with your luggage to the bus?

2. Bus leaves at 8:45 am, will we have any trouble getting off in time with our bags? (Island docks at 12:30am)

3. In your opinion, is it worth adding the extra hour (we have time) to include the stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center?

We are picking up a rental in Anchorage and driving to Denali that afternoon.

Thanks so much for any advice!

3. In your opinion, is it worth adding the extra hour (we have time) to include the stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center?

I love the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. But your Anchorage to Denali is going to be about a 7 hour drive. So if you add the time, it'll put you into Denali that much later. If you are fine with a long day....

They start disembarking cruise tours at 6 am. Most people are probably off by 9. I see nothing wrong with your time frame.

If this company does Whittier to ANC shuttles, they know the timing. You just have to let Princess know you have independent transportation and want to be off early, just not too early.

Edited by Coral

Our party of 4 is looking for transportation from the port in Whittier to ANC. We are considering Alaska Cruise Transportation service (ACT). A few questions..

1. For those that have used this service, was it easy to get with your luggage to the bus?

2. Bus leaves at 8:45 am, will we have any trouble getting off in time with our bags? (Island docks at 12:30am)

We've used this company when we have need to be at ANC for an early flight home.

Their buses are easy to find just outside the area where you pick up your luggage...everything is very organized...and easy to navigate. We had lots of luggage, stroller and a toddler.

I have no idea if it's worth it to you to add the extra stop at the WCC...but seeing that you have a long drive ahead of you...I personally wouldn't.

They start disembarking cruise tours at 6 am. Most people are probably off by 9. I see nothing wrong with your time frame.

If this company does Whittier to ANC shuttles, they know the timing. You just have to let Princess know you have independent transportation and want to be off early, just not too early.

In Alaska, I've never let anyone know, I had independent transportation, or wanted to be off a ship early. It is unnecessary. Just walk off the ship when you want to go. The luggage is set out WAY before the ship even starts unloading at 6am. I've done this with, all the major cruise lines, Princess, HAL, NCL, RCI and Celebrity, in either Whittier or Seward. All were the same- just walk off the ship when I wanted to. No issue with getting in line with the cruise tours either.

In Alaska, I've never let anyone know, I had independent transportation, or wanted to be off a ship early. It is unnecessary. Just walk off the ship when you want to go. The luggage is set out WAY before the ship even starts unloading at 6am. I've done this with, all the major cruise lines, Princess, HAL, NCL, RCI and Celebrity, in either Whittier or Seward. All were the same- just walk off the ship when I wanted to. No issue with getting in line with the cruise tours either.

RCI does leave a form in your cabin they ask you to fill out letting them know your departure plans and your luggage tags will be colored coded for this timeframe...or at least on our cruises with them they have.

RCI does leave a form in your cabin they ask you to fill out letting them know your departure plans and your luggage tags will be colored coded for this timeframe...or at least on our cruises with them they have.

Yes, I have done RCI, as an independent visitor, it doesn't matter what tags you get, as I already mentioned- the bags are unloaded very early. I've been in the line, with the huddled cruise tour passengers- and just split off after the card swipe, and walked over to my luggage.

I recall reading somewhere that US Customs requires that ALL luggage is off the ship before ANY passengers get off the ship. Is it still true? I don't know, but if it is, it confirms that your bags will be there for you upon reaching dry land (wetted by your tears, of course...).

I recall reading somewhere that US Customs requires that ALL luggage is off the ship before ANY passengers get off the ship. Is it still true? I don't know, but if it is, it confirms that your bags will be there for you upon reaching dry land (wetted by your tears, of course...).

There is NO "customs" in either Whittier or Seward. The ships get in very early- I've been ships when they were tied up by 2 am.

The gangways open about 6am- you just walk off the ship.

This is true. I agree - the luggage is out. You can leave when you want.

I still mark the appropriate paperwork.

Edited by Coral

You go through Customs/Immigration at Vancouver pier before you get on the ship.

Edited by Coral

This is not true in FLL. We had to wait over an hour for our luggage once to get off the ship.

Edited by Coral