Best Time of Year

MOcruiserman

We're looking at an inter-island cruise on the Pride of America sometime in 2016 and are wondering what would be the best time of the year to go. The earliest we'd go would be mid-Spring.

Factors we're considering are

1-weather (drier the better)

2-crowds (are there months that are less crowded?)

3-Number of late teens, 20 somethings (fewer the better).

4-Any other factors that may be relevant on a trip to Hawaii.

Thanks.

Hawaii's weather is fairly consistent year round, but with a little more rain in the winter months, so mid spring would be great - as would October.

I'd avoid summer months if you are looking for more of an adult crowd.

Whales are there from December through March, which is a highlight for many - but that doesn't sound like it works for your dates.

Whale sightings are more common in the winter....that's when they migrate to warmer waters from the Arctic.

Yes - I was a bit off with my 'whale dates' in my post above - I was thinking of when the best chance of seeing whales would be ... but we've been in April and May and there are still some around until as late as early May.

I think the first sightings of their return this fall was in November, but they're pretty scarce then. (Feb & Mar are the best months to see them.) They spend the summer months in Alaska & northern B.C., so no chance of seeing them in Hawaii then.

I agree that it's nice to get away from winter weather at home, but the OP mentioned that the earliest they would go would be mid-spring, - sounds like end of April/early May, which is a time that we really enjoy there for weather, ocean temperatures and blossoms on the trees ... plus potential whale sightings at that time. It's also 'low season' for accommodation and car rates if tacking on a few extra days pre and/or post cruise ... which is a good idea.

October is one of my favorite months. The water is still a bit warmer from the summer, not many school holidays, and less crowded. I also love Hawaii around the holidays so if you can go the first two weeks of December you will find less crowds, whales, but the water will be a bit cooler. It is a nice way to start the holiday season. Cherie