comparison of stingray tours

Ready2Cruise2016

Hi all! :) I'll be sailing with my mom, sister, and niece in September, and we are considering a stingray tour while in Cayman Islands. I'm trying to do my homework to make sure we get a reputable company, and not over-spending. I've been reading the boards, trying to find recommendations, etc. Made a chart of what I've found so far, in case anyone is interested. I'm leaning toward Dexter's, or the one that includes Rum Point. Not sure Rum Point is worth that much extra yet... I need to see what it costs to get there on our own.

Is there any you'd definitely recommend, or definitely recommend AGAINST?

tours.jpg.3763ca57de4d849416d8093d336498a5.jpg

Edited by Ready2Cruise2016

You left out Fat Fish Adventures which is a jet ski tour that includes a more personal experience at stingray city, a stop at the reef and starfish beach, and perhaps Rum Point. The stingrays are a unique experience the first time, but Rum Point is our favorite part of the day. There were no more than 10 in our group so a much nicer experience. We did one of the larger boats our first visit with 20+ others and it was not as nice.

I'd go with one of the Cats as it is more fun to sail back than motor in a putt-putt boat.

You sure go to a lot of work just to pick an excursion. I think some of your pricing might be in Cayman dollars not USD. I think Dexter's is $40 USD.

You left out Fat Fish Adventures which is a jet ski tour that includes a more personal experience at stingray city, a stop at the reef and starfish beach, and perhaps Rum Point. The stingrays are a unique experience the first time, but Rum Point is our favorite part of the day. There were no more than 10 in our group so a much nicer experience. We did one of the larger boats our first visit with 20+ others and it was not as nice.

Thanks! I'll add that one in also. I don't know that I heard of it before. :) I really like the idea of the small crowd!

I'd go with one of the Cats as it is more fun to sail back than motor in a putt-putt boat.

You sure go to a lot of work just to pick an excursion. I think some of your pricing might be in Cayman dollars not USD. I think Dexter's is $40 USD.

I never even thought to check and see what type of boat they use to get out there with. I'll look into that, thanks!! I went to all the work setting up the table because I'm going with my mom, my sister, and my niece. We all live in different towns (except my mom and I), and I somehow got put in charge of the research. Which is fine, but everytime I mention one excursion or another, they have 50 questions about them. LOL

I got the prices online from their websites. That's another thing I didn't think to check - US or Cayman dollars. Thanks for that tip as well!

Hi all! :) I'll be sailing with my mom, sister, and niece in September, and we are considering a stingray tour while in Cayman Islands. I'm trying to do my homework to make sure we get a reputable company, and not over-spending. I've been reading the boards, trying to find recommendations, etc. Made a chart of what I've found so far, in case anyone is interested. I'm leaning toward Dexter's, or the one that includes Rum Point. Not sure Rum Point is worth that much extra yet... I need to see what it costs to get there on our own.

Is there any you'd definitely recommend, or definitely recommend AGAINST?

Here are my thoughts:

1. I have been on Native Way's Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour but no others. The RRR tour is awesome. I didn't time the Stingray or Snorkeling stops but it was enough time. We had 1 hour at Rum Point. The lunch at Rum Point is a full meal and not just a "sandwich and chips" or something like that. You order from a menu on the boat and they call it in to them. The order of the stops may vary but ours was Snorkel, Stingray, Rum Point. The Rum Point portion is like an abbreviated "beach day" and well worth it in my opinion. I would highly recommend this tour.

Here is a photo review of it that Mitsugirly did a few years back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41092614

2. I was so happy with this tour that I tried to book the exact same tour for my next Grand Cayman stop. However, a large private group booked Native Way up that day so I had to choose and alternative. So I am currently booked with Stingray Sailing. They use a catamaran and motor out to the spots but sail back. They came highly recommended by Native Way when I asked them for an alternative to their sold out day.

3. Native Way also recommended Moby Dick but when I did my research I found some minor things that I personally didn't like so I didn't consider them and went the Stingray Sailing catamaran route.

4. Captain Marvin's is highly recommended here and elsewhere but they also do "Swim with the Dolphins" tours which I boycott so I will not do business with them.

5. Dexter's is well reviewed here and is $40 U.S. per person ($32 is Cayman Dollars) but I generally never pick the very cheapest option. (just my opinion)

6. Aquarius is top rated on Trip Advisor and also gets great reviews here. However, their boat is pretty different from the other boats and I personally felt as if there was not enough "outside air" area and too much "sit inside" area.

7. Someone else here mentioned the jet-ski tours. We seen those things flying by when we were on our tour. They looked fun! However, they looked like they were going fast so consider your physical ability as well as those with you.

If you want to do Rum Point definitely do the RRR tour! Well worth it.

Just my 2 cents. Again, I have only actually been on the one tour by Native Way.

Thanks! I'll add that one in also. I don't know that I heard of it before. :) I really like the idea of the small crowd!

Yes check their reviews on tripadvisor, excellent outfit and an amazing day.

We enjoy the Red Sail cat to Rum Point for dinner, that's a nice evening and the cat sail is free! But jet skis are an excellent way to see the sites in the north sound.

Here are my thoughts:

So I am currently booked with Stingray Sailing. They use a catamaran and motor out to the spots but sail back.

3. Native Way also recommended Moby Dick but when I did my research I found some minor things that I personally didn't like so I didn't consider them and went the Stingray Sailing catamaran route.

THANK YOU so much for this! Do you know if Stingray Sailing is the only one that uses the catamarans? I'm going back to recheck all of them now. I am also curious as to what turned you off of Moby Dick? My biggest drawback with them right now is the lack of maximum number of people on tour.

Yes check their reviews on tripadvisor, excellent outfit and an amazing day.

We enjoy the Red Sail cat to Rum Point for dinner, that's a nice evening and the cat sail is free! But jet skis are an excellent way to see the sites in the north sound.

I know I have at least one in my group that wouldn't want to do the jet skis. I'm off to read about the Red Sail, however. Thank you!

Moby Dick! Went last year in June for a land based vacation. Just went with them again on a cruise vacation. They are fantastic. Personal. 15ish people. They explain everything well. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Moby Dick! Went last year in June for a land based vacation. Just went with them again on a cruise vacation. They are fantastic. Personal. 15ish people. They explain everything well. Highly recommend.

Thank you! They are in the top 2 (as of right now) in our list. Mark has been SUPER great about emailing back and forth with me, also.

THANK YOU so much for this! Do you know if Stingray Sailing is the only one that uses the catamarans? I'm going back to recheck all of them now. I am also curious as to what turned you off of Moby Dick? My biggest drawback with them right now is the lack of maximum number of people on tour.

I know I have at least one in my group that wouldn't want to do the jet skis. I'm off to read about the Red Sail, however. Thank you!

I'd rather not share a couple of them as it is just my personal gut feeling and may not be accurate. However, I will share one:

On at least one occasion they didn't have as many people as they wanted in order to run the tour so they canceled it and moved people to a competitor's boat at the last minute.

Stingray Sailing is not the only tour that uses a catamaran but they get awesome reviews and I never found a negative on them. Their boat is named the Far Tortuga.

You mentioned Red Sail ...

Red Sail Sports is a local operator that runs tours for the cruiselines (Disney and Royal) and offers all sorts of rentals and tours for resort guests/locals and such but doesn't really deal with cruise passengers outside of the previous mentioned lines.

Thank you! They are in the top 2 (as of right now) in our list. Mark has been SUPER great about emailing back and forth with me, also.

Mark is fantastic. They're personalities add to the experience as well. They don't just drive the boat.

Mark is fantastic. They're personalities add to the experience as well. They don't just drive the boat.

The first thing my son said when I read Mark's first message to him was that he'd book with him right away. He said Mark sounds like a guy he could get along with - not just a guy running a business.

The first thing my son said when I read Mark's first message to him was that he'd book with him right away. He said Mark sounds like a guy he could get along with - not just a guy running a business.

Exactly. They are great.

We used native way,

we went with the snorkel, stingray, starfish tour,

2adults 3children + 18 others

They did mess up our time for pickup, but compensated by letting the kids go for free. Once on the excursion, nothing but good things to say

We used native way,

we went with the snorkel, stingray, starfish tour,

2adults 3children + 18 others

They did mess up our time for pickup, but compensated by letting the kids go for free. Once on the excursion, nothing but good things to say

Can you explain the "messed up pickup time"? I have the same excursion booked with them on our cruise, so just getting an idea what you experienced.

I know on my confirmation, they stated the time as 9:30 EDT (which is 8:30am time on Cayman local time)...but would be 9:30 on my watch which is set to east coast time (on daylight savings now on east coast, though Caymans don't observe daylight savings time changes). Did it have anything to do with the Eastern Daylight time vs Eastern Standard time...or were they just late/had issues getting there on time?

Edited by WolfgangJT

we were sent our confirmation letter stating to be at pick up for 9:30 , but when we got off the ship, they had us booked with the 11:30 group.

The girl we spoke to was very apologetic and they admitted their mistake.

We ended up doing the correct tour.

Luckily we had a printed copy of the confirmation letter, showing it was not our mistake

it was just a bummer waiting around with three kids in tow

We've done the Rum Reef & Rays tour with Native Way at least four times and loved it. They include lunch at Rum Point which makes it a great deal. After eating there's time to walk around and have a Mudslide which is to have originated there. It's always a smaller group and they keep you away from the crowds at Sting Ray City.