Formal Nights

Throast

We are booked for our third silver seas cruise for January 5th (Silver Cloud), it's eleven nights, I am thinking of taking my kilt again, instead of a Dinner suit, but wondering how many formal nights are likely (it's along way to take a kilt and rig Ma role for one night) Can anyone advise?

Also we've been on the Spirit twice in the last year and wondering if we will find a lot of differences on the Cloud?

The Cloud is a lot smaller than the Spirit so all areas,eg deck, restaurants,Panorama Lounge, are all smaller. However, there are half the passengers so it does not feel crowded. Also in most Veranda cabins they have taken the bath out and put in Rainforest showers. However we like the intimate ships and the ease of getting to know other pax. Do take your kilt. There will probably be two formal nights and they always look so smart and draw admiring glances. Enjoy, wish it was us!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our last two Cloud voyages were 9 nights each. There was only one formal night on each cruise, instead of the two we would have expected based on past experience. Seems like they have been reducing the number of formal nights. By comparison, our 12-night cruise in 2010 had 3 formal nights.

We are booked for our third silver seas cruise for January 5th (Silver Cloud), it's eleven nights, I am thinking of taking my kilt again, instead of a Dinner suit, but wondering how many formal nights are likely (it's along way to take a kilt and rig Ma role for one night) Can anyone advise?

Also we've been on the Spirit twice in the last year and wondering if we will find a lot of differences on the Cloud?

On a scale of 1 to 10 -- 10 being best -- I rate Cloud #10 and Spirit #1. I have 15 voyages on Cloud and 2 on Spirit amongst all the SS fleet. Draw your own conclusions. Granted - long time SS cruisers tend to favor the smaller ships - not all of course -- and newbies (not all) seem to love Spirit. They both beat other lines IMO.

And I love to see gentlemen in kilts!:)

Many thanks to everyone, looks like I'm taken my kilt , looking forward to some r&r on the cloud

I'm so envious of you Scots. I'm Irish and while we have, of course, a form of formal dress similar in many ways to the Highland rig it just doesn't match up to the occasion created by a properly turned-out Scotsman.

Nothing looks better than a Scotchman in a formal kilt ....just watch out for the wind if you go outside!

The Cloud is a lot smaller than the Spirit so all areas,eg deck, restaurants,Panorama Lounge, are all smaller. However, there are half the passengers so it does not feel crowded. Also in most Veranda cabins they have taken the bath out and put in Rainforest showers. However we like the intimate ships and the ease of getting to know other pax. Do take your kilt. There will probably be two formal nights and they always look so smart and draw admiring glances. Enjoy, wish it was us!!

Appreciate these cute comments on a Scotchman and his kilt. Hope to see a few fun and well-dressed folks from Scotland on our upcoming Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,070 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923