Money for Ports

SAC112750

I realize anything bought or done in the ports is extra. How is this all paid for? Does it have to be strictly credit cards or do they accept cash. Do they accept American money or does it need to be exchanged, and if so, how and where do we do that?

Cash is fine. What currency depends on your ports - quote your itinerary & we'll all chip in

JB :)

Edit

We'll all chip in with advice. :)

We won't chip in with cash. :D

Edited by John Bull

I realize anything bought or done in the ports is extra. How is this all paid for? Does it have to be strictly credit cards or do they accept cash. Do they accept American money or does it need to be exchanged, and if so, how and where do we do that?

It depends on the ports. In the Caribbean US dollars are widely accepted. In Europe you will have to exchange your dollars for Euros. Master Card and Visa cards are widely accepted. Other credit cards not so much. However, I would not use credit cards with street merchants.

Sorry, this is my 1st cruise. 2017 going to western Caribbean. Thanks for the help!

All your ports accept USD. You will not need other currencies. And businesses dealing mainly with tourists - port bars & shops, port taxis & vans, market stalls, etc - will give change in USD. But the cash registers of many businesses which deal mainly with locals, although they accept USD, are geared to give change in local currency - hence serene's advice to bring plenty of one's & five's.

Edited by John Bull

NEVER ever will I used a Credit card in a foreign country.

Bring cash = small denominations- that way when you get change in their currency its not a lot.

Credit cards are as safe in the Caribbean as they are in the US. Your liability for fraudulent use is small or zero at home or on a trip.

I might be wary about using a DEBIT card, and it's not the best idea to have too much cash on yourself in one location...

and it's not the best idea to have too much cash on yourself in one location...

Agreed.

But since the OP appears to be a newbie, I'll mention that all cabins on every ship I've sailed have safes.

We carry ashore enough cash for our expected spend, plus a margin, plus a credit card.

Others have addressed the cash issue. Should you choose to do an organized excursion at any given port, they can be booked through the ship or booked independently in advance or on arrival in the port. You pay the cruise line for ship's excursions. Independent excursion, booked in advance, are paid according to the operator's instructions. Excursions booked on arrival are normally paid for with cash or credit card.

I would advise you to book an excursion through the ship or independently in advance for Belize (if you are stopping there). The city is not conside red safe to wonder around in.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Credit cards are as safe in the Caribbean as they are in the US. Your liability for fraudulent use is small or zero at home or on a trip.

I might be wary about using a DEBIT card, and it's not the best idea to have too much cash on yourself in one location...

depends on where you are using it. Too many reports how their cards were compromised. Plus the fact that many cards will charge you the international charge of 3-5%

;)

.... which brings up an irrelevant but interesting point.

How do blind people, or even those with limited sight, tell them apart?

They put one bill in one hand and a different bill in the other hand and then they know the two bills are apart.

All the US paper currency is the same size.

;)

Errrr, we've gone full circle - back to the question I asked. :rolleyes:

- the feel of money

- the colour (yes, every other currency I know has different colours for different denominations)

- the size

One out of three ain't good :(

So how do blind & partially-sighted tell the difference??

;)

If you really want to know, people who are visually impaired or blind fold each denomination of bill in a different manner so they know what they have in their wallet.

Keep the $1 bill flat and unfolded.

Fold the $5 bill in half crosswise (with the short ends together).

Fold the $10 bill in half lengthwise (with the long sides together).

Fold the $20 bill like a $10 bill lengthwise, and then in half again crosswise, like the $5 bill:

Thanks, Barb, for a sensible answer. :)

But it doesn't help distinguish what's what before it's folded unless done when received.

Or what money is given to sight-impaired folk. For instance change given for a $9 purchase paid with a twenty - a $10 bill & a $1 bill? Or two one's?

Size & colour could make it so much easier to distinguish different values, even I have to be careful when I visit the US :o

My apologies to the OP for wandering off-topic.

depends on where you are using it. Too many reports how their cards were compromised. Plus the fact that many cards will charge you the international charge of 3-5%
I've had much more of a problem from using my credit card at Home Depot than I've ever had from using it in the Caribbean. And as I've said, if the card number gets stolen they zero out the charges and give you a new card.

I only use a card with no international charges when I go overseas.