Trip insurance cover airline tickets purchased with points?

hartskys

We are looking at Nationwide Insurance and they have some nice coverage with their policies. Does anyone know if they would cover airline tickets purchased with points? We also have United Explorer Credit Card and wondered if they also cover the tickets. We don't have a lot of points and if something would happen we don't want to loose them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Flights purchased with miles and/or points have a $0 cost, therefore they have no insurable value.

However, so insurance policies will pay any fees imposed to rebank the miles if the trip is not used.

Edited by klfrodo

I don't know off the top of my head...

But one thing bears pointing out. If you are stranded and trying to get home, DO NOT purchase your new return ticket with points (unless you bought the original flight that way for the same number of points); you won't get reimbursed for them.

Does anyone know which insurance companies pay to rebank points? I looked through the policy for Nationwide and couldn't find anything that mentioned it so I emailed them to see what they say.

Wont the airline whose points you are using offer insurance at a reasonable cost to rebank the miles at the end of the on line transaction?

Does anyone know which insurance companies pay to rebank points? I looked through the policy for Nationwide and couldn't find anything that mentioned it so I emailed them to see what they say.
Allianz is what i used http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/online/ppc/lp/flight/11984/?_vsrefdom=&keyword=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw27etBRDA3-ux4p3c58EBEiQAkJzTABvMhVkq2TbDLtilAMgrt3obR5hhz4-OZsEvP9g8b4saApbK8P8HAQ Edited by FLACRUISER99

Wont the airline whose points you are using offer insurance at a reasonable cost to rebank the miles at the end of the on line transaction?

If you used a credit card like United Airlines Explorer Visa to pay whatever fee went along with the "miles for a ticket" purchase, your rebooking fee should be recoverable.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary and Linda,

I am also comparing prices on Cruise Travel Insurance for a trip in February, 22016 , and, thus far, Travel Insured ((800) 243-3174) will reimburse fees incurred to re-bank your airline miles, and I have also found that they are fairly reasonable.

We're neighbors,

Sandy from PA

Flights purchased with miles and/or points have a $0 cost, therefore they have no insurable value.

However, so insurance policies will pay any fees imposed to rebank the miles if the trip is not used.

Actually they do have a cost. Citibank issued 1099 tax forms for points given as part of a promotion to open bank accounts...and the recipient had to pay tax on the value (about 3 cents a point). Additionally many airlines allow you to buy points so that establishes a cost for the points.

A few years ago, we were on a celebrity ship that broke down and the cruise was cancelled. As part of the compensation, Celebrity reimbursed passengers for the cost of the airfare to join the cruise in Barcelona. In our case, we had used air miles...however we demonstrated to Celebrity that the cost of the miles was $750 each based on buying the miles back...and they sent us a check for $1500.

Actually there are taxes that are paid on Frequent Flyer tickets.

We have FF tickets to Australia for March 2016 and the taxes came to $252 for the 2 of us.

I would think this could be included in the cost of the trip. Right?

We are looking at Nationwide Insurance and they have some nice coverage with their policies. Does anyone know if they would cover airline tickets purchased with points? We also have United Explorer Credit Card and wondered if they also cover the tickets. We don't have a lot of points and if something would happen we don't want to loose them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We have always gone with Steve at the trip insurance store, and there were two companies that will either book you on a flight, or have your miles rebanked. We went through this a couple years ago and it could have changed by now. He seems very knowledgeable and he suggested the two that did.

Actually there are taxes that are paid on Frequent Flyer tickets.

We have FF tickets to Australia for March 2016 and the taxes came to $252 for the 2 of us.

I would think this could be included in the cost of the trip. Right?

Government imposed taxes are generally refundable, even on non-refundable tickets, so you get those back from the airline, not the insurance. You have to ask for the refund though; the airlines just pocket the $$ if you cancel and don't ask.

Fuel surcharges and other airline imposed mandatory fees are a sneaky way for the airline to avoid commissions and taxes and they are not refundable, so you can claim those costs from your insurance. Your $252 probably includes some of both.