Blue Cross Blue Shield Coverage ....

Bo1953

Hello all, quick question and input from those in the know...

I have BCBS and it appears that I have worldwide coverage (still waiting to hear from agent on this) if in fact I do have ww coverage, does anyone else here have similar and know about this?

This leads me to believe that I only need cruise cancellation insurance, should I want to get it, as my main concern was for illness and repatriation if medical was beyond what the local hospital/doctor/professionals could reasonably provide.

TIA - bo1953

Be sure you understand exactly what "world-wide coverage" means. Likely they will get you to the nearest appropriate facility, but then what? Will they advance cash or guarantee payment if it is required by a foreign hospital or doctor? Will they fly you home in an air ambulance if you require a higher level of care? Will they fly you home if you recover enough to fly commercially? Will they pay expenses for your spouse to stay with you while you are hospitalized?

One thing is for sure - you will pay out-of-network rates.

Ask lots of questions before you assusme you have adequate medical coverage for a trip ouside the country. Even if you are healthy, unplanned events resulting in injury happen. That is why they are called accidents.

You need to ask specific questions.

My BC/BS is worldwide also.

However,,,,,

1. They don't pay the bill worldwide. You pay the bill, then they reimburse you at Out of Network costs.

2. They do not provide upfront money or a letter guaranteeing payment if the facility you're at requires payment before treatment.

3. They will only evacuate or pay ambulance to nearest facility that can treat.

4. If you need continued care and want to come home, they will not pay.

5. They will not cover bringing your remains home should you pass.

I still get insurance for when I travel.

One needs to be careful with medical policies that provide international coverage. They will often pay "after the fact" reimbursing the patient who had to actually pay all the costs before discharge. And BC/BS policies (and most other policies) will only pay what they call "Usual and Customary" charges which can actually be less then what is billed the patient. We live in Mexico part of the year and local hospitals generally want to hold a major credit card at the time a patient is admitted. The card is later charged for the costs and returned to the patient upon discharge.

Hank

Just as a reminder, there is really no such thing as "BCBS coverage". It's a loosely affiliated group of insurance companies who have a big merged network. (As in, if you receive treatment in another BCBS region vs. where your company is based, you'll use the local BCBS network.

Other than that, they are completely separate insurance companies which have different policies, coverage, procedures, claim processes, etc. What might be true for one BCBS will not apply to another.

Be sure you understand exactly what "world-wide coverage" means. Likely they will get you to the nearest appropriate facility, but then what? Will they advance cash or guarantee payment if it is required by a foreign hospital or doctor? Will they fly you home in an air ambulance if you require a higher level of care? Will they fly you home if you recover enough to fly commercially? Will they pay expenses for your spouse to stay with you while you are hospitalized?

One thing is for sure - you will pay out-of-network rates.

Ask lots of questions before you assusme you have adequate medical coverage for a trip ouside the country. Even if you are healthy, unplanned events resulting in injury happen. That is why they are called accidents.

All BC/BS are not alike. My Carefirst (MD) plan is a PPO and covers in network when overseas. There is a BC/BS list in network worldwide list of providers. Check the Geo Blue site.

As someone mentioned not all plans are the same. Check with your insurance agent.

Edited by PaulMCO