Rome airport hotel

Eager2Travel

Can anyone suggest a good hotel near the Rome airport? We will be arriving one day ahead of our cruise and do not want to stay in Rome. We will then go to the port the next day,

I would suggest you stay in Civitivecchia for the night pre cruise. We stayed at the Hotel Miramare right on the waterfront maybe 5 minutes from the port. A much nicer to stay for sure. Lots of nice restaurants along the boardwalk. A taxi for 4 people to the ship from the hotels front door was like 5 Euros per person.

We fly out of Rome at least twice a year. In the past, I used to try to find local hotels in Fiumicino. But after having a couple of "sketchy" experiences, I now use one of the two Hiltons as well.

The Hilton itself is attached to the airport via a footbridge and is convenient to take the train to Rome. (Often, we do not vacation in Rome, but rather try to arrive at the hotel by late morning, so I can have a Rome "fix"). However, at times, the Hilton is substantially more expensive than the Hilton Garden Inn. The Garden Inn is an okay property as well and the shuttle to the terminal in the morning has always been reliable.

I do not find the area around the Rome airport to be charming at all, so I have just given up and stay at an American hotel.:)

Both Hiltons (the Hilton FCO and the Hilton Garden Inn) are good choices. I stay at the Hilton FCO. Easy walk to/from the train station and the Terminals. The signage is pretty easy to follow - it's a sign with a bed and the Hilton logo. You'll walk through the parking structure to it. It's a solid business-class hotel. If you want to relax, the Hilton has a pool (never used it, though). If you decide you do want to do one more venture into Rome, they have a shuttle into Rome proper.

The HGI is off the airport property, but has a shuttle that will pick up and take back to the airport.

I'm one of those who likes to sleep as much as possible before a long flight, I like the ability to sleep at the Hilton and only have to walk a few minutes to check-in! I'll spend the evening in Rome, but sleep out at the Hilton.

Edited by slidergirl

Has anyone stayed in the Marriott by the airport? I was thinking of staying there because I could use points and it would be free. I will be arriving late and leaving early, so only sleeping there.

Thanks.

Yep stayed there two years ago, it was very poor. We chose it for the same reason, never again. Room poor, access challenging because of stairs to the elevator, tough with post cruise luggage, No shuttle from train station as expected, so had to find a cab, also not easy. Then due to timing stuck there for dinner, which was the worst we have had in many travel meals. Only positive note was service in the restaurant was pleasant, unfortunately it didn't make up for a meal that was inedible.

For those looking to stay near FCO we would offer some info. The airport Hilton is an excellent large hotel, but the internal restaurants are somewhat overpriced (typical of Hilton's) and not anything special. They used to have a decent dinner buffet (not cheap) for those that like buffets. When we stay at the Hilton we often have access to a rental car, so we usually jump in the car and drive a few miles to the sea resort town of Fiumcino where there some decent restaurants.

Because of the restaurant situation we do see a lot of wisdom in just going to Civitavecchia (pre cruise) rather then staying out at the airport.

Hank

A couple of cruises ago we put together a shared shuttle into Rome post-cruise. One couple just wanted to go to their airport hotel. We have spent a lot of time in Italy, not nearly as much as some posters here, but I thought the entire airport environment was very depressing as we dropped them off. I was so thankful I wasn't staying there!!

I get it if you have an early morning flight, I guess, but personally I wouldn't want to stay out there unless I absolutely had to. Zero charm/ambiance.

I'll say that I've stayed out the hilton because I have been able to either use points or (when I worked for Hilton) the employee discount. Not having to pay money for a hotel night makes it easier to stay an extra day Rome! But, sometimes the "free" aspect of a hotel doesn't make up for a lousy hotel.

Since this is pre-cruise and you aren't waiting for a flight home, I would look at Hlitner's suggestion to stay in Civi that night.