Royal Caribbean Bans Smoking on Balconies

LauraS

I expected a backlash - but no! Just support. Thanks guys

Can you imagine though, how disappointing it is for a non smoker to not be able to use the balcony that they have paid extra money for because the person next door smokes. It is not just the smell and health risk - but it makes your clothes and hair stink too. Even when you are not smoking, that "ashtray" odour lingers long after you have extinguished your cigarette....I would have no objection if they had designated smoking rooms so that you could keep the smoke indoors - but not on the balcony.

bad move...no need for us to get balcony or better cabins...hubby smokes and he is not happy about decision. and as a non-smoker I would rather them just make some cabins (like one side, lowest deck or/& last 20 cabins) smoking allowed on balcony...

I have friends that rather sail Carnival or RC to smoke on balcony...I guess now will not sail RC either...

I don't know if it will hurt or not...time will tell

Very difficult decision. I have a cruise booked for June with Royal and am Diamond. I might just switch cruise lines.

But who to switch to, that's the question. What's left and where's the guarantee they won't do the same?

You're always going to get more backlash that support because smokers have been brainwashed over the last few years into being ashamed and therefore keep quiet.

Backlash shouldn't be expected. You have as much right to your opinion as anyone else.

Both sides are well represented in the 400+ post thread on the topic. There appear to be significantly more supporters of the new decision than people who are upset-- as you'd expect when less than 20% of the US population smokes.

Smokers still have a place to smoke on board an RC ship. Just no longer on their balcony.

I applaude the decision. We've only had one issue with a smoking neighbour on a balcony on our 5 cruises. But now to guarantee smoke free enjoyment of the balconies - good move IMO.

Thank you RCL now I can have a balcony I can use. Hate being on a cruise with a balcony and not being able to open the doors due to inconsiderate neighbors smoking all the time. I know smokers want to smoke, had 2 brothers younger than me that were big time smokers both died from lung cancer.

Not Good.

I agree that smoking inside isnt good, but I pay for a balcony room so that I can smoke!!

I agree. I have 3 booked for next year and this sure puts a damper on my cruising. We like to sit on the balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee and in the evening with an after dinner cognac before retiring for the night.Gwen

I agree. I have 3 booked for next year and this sure puts a damper on my cruising. We like to sit on the balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee and in the evening with an after dinner cognac before retiring for the night.Gwen

Well if you decide to cancel those cruises, and used a NCC to book them, good luck! I just tried to cancel a few cruises, and as I used NCC's, they are non refundable!!!!

Boy they know how to stick it to the smokers:mad:

Archived