Running in Civitavecchia

Maggie4nc

I know this question is a bit out there, but maybe there is someone out there that has some info...

Has anyone ever gone running in Civitavecchia port? My husband will be training for a race while we are on a cruise and "needs" to run 20 miles while in port. He would get dizzy if he had to do all that on the ship, and treadmills are out of the question for him.

I see the promenade on google maps that might offer him a traffic free route, but not sure how long that is or if there maybe another area that someone knows about.

I'm in the same boat, 3 wk holiday coming up and training for a fall marathon! I only need to get in 1 LONG run during the actually cruise and yet decided when/where that will be. I think it'll be nice to run pre/post cruise in Venice/Barcelona so can't wait :) Make sure he brings his garmin... one idea would be to break up the run.. half off ship (am) and half onboard (pm). Go to garmin or mapmyrun and see what others have run in Civitavecchia. Your not sailing on the Regal by any chance are you??

I think there's plenty of scope to run along the promenade, on a road through town and out into the countryside, or along the road near the ocean, into the next village. You'll have a choice of whether to include hills or stay on the flat, too.

It might be a crowded along the promenade, I think I'd head north from the port shuttle drop off point on side roads toward Tarquinia.

Do note that these are narrow roads with no shoulders, but also very little traffic.

Something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.0971059,11.7871031/42.1715897,11.7553949/42.2149598,11.7377777/@42.1484815,11.7860307,12z/data=!4m16!4m15!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d11.7501165!2d42.138453!3s0x1328bd005eefc6ff:0x99ed4065dfedeba!3m4!1m2!1d11.7499274!2d42.1513171!3s0x1328bdb2af13b781:0x3d4fafa2504af5e7!1m0!1m0!3e2!4e1

Wow, Cruise Critic people never let me down! Thanks everyone for the help. Eurocruiser that route looks perfect as does lisiamc idea of mixing the promenade with the streets. Running on the water is always awesome. We are going to stay in port all day as we have seen Rome several times. That way if he gets lost, he has a bit of time to get back to the ship!

I'm in the same boat, 3 wk holiday coming up and training for a fall marathon! I only need to get in 1 LONG run during the actually cruise and yet decided when/where that will be. I think it'll be nice to run pre/post cruise in Venice/Barcelona so can't wait :) Make sure he brings his garmin... one idea would be to break up the run.. half off ship (am) and half onboard (pm). Go to garmin or mapmyrun and see what others have run in Civitavecchia. Your not sailing on the Regal by any chance are you??

Anthonyy7, My husband is more likely to forget me than his Garmin, he's totally addicted.

Last year he did a pre cruise run in Barcelona and really liked it. He ran all along the water. He went early in the morning when the streets were quieter.

I think Venice could be good too, but not for too long of a run. There is a path on the water and a park at the end of the island. It's not too big, so you might have to go over to the mainland for some longer runs in.

We are not on the Regal:( It would have been nice to meet you and maybe go for a run! Good luck on your race!