Peggy's Cove

EJ33333

We live in New England and enjoy visiting the coastal towns of Plymouth, MA and Newport, R.I. on day trips.

This fall we will be doing the Canada/New England cruise with RCCL, and one of the ports of call is Halifax.

I've read a lot about people visiting and enjoying Peggy's Cove.

Is Peggy's Cove similar to Plymouth and Newport?

Thanks

We live in New England and enjoy visiting the coastal towns of Plymouth, MA and Newport, R.I. on day trips.

This fall we will be doing the Canada/New England cruise with RCCL, and one of the ports of call is Halifax.

I've read a lot about people visiting and enjoying Peggy's Cove.

Is Peggy's Cove similar to Plymouth and Newport?

Thanks

NO< NO< NO

Peggy's Cove is a 30 building 'town' (maybe a few more, but who's counting).

there are a few shops, a nice souvenir/restaurant, and the main attraction is the lighthouse.

Here are a few pixs to help give you an idea

The lighthouse, out on the rocks

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4562_zps89a29cda.jpg

Some of the coastline surrounding Peggy's Cove

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4554_zpsfb3b932d.jpg

Parts of the town

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4566_zps6e12d73f.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4567_zps9dbc9bfd.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4568_zps9bb6a474.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4581_zps741e8611.jpg

We were there on a fairly stormy day, but it is picturesque in a certain sort of way.

Cheers

Len

We were at Peggy's Cove last October on a cloudy, misty morning and thought it was absolutely beautiful. The ocean was rough and the waves hitting the huge rocks was spectacular. The gingerbread was quite tasty, too!

Our friends went the same afternoon and it was sunny when they were there and they saw no waves. The ocean was smooth as glass. I think we got the better deal there.

Not only is Peggy's Cove a great destination, but the drive to and from is good, too. I would go again.

When we were in Peggy's Cove two years ago, I felt like I was in one of those spectacular jigsaw puzzle scenes, it was so picturesque! In fact, I searched high and low for a souvenir jigsaw puzzle of the area, which would have made a perfect souvenir, but none were available. <sigh>

Edited by skrink

I always look at other people's photos as it gives me an idea of what to look out for when I am in a particular location. Getting of photo of the lighthouse without people is difficult. On my last cruise there was a seminar that showed how to take multiple pictures and fuse them.

Where is Lunenburg in relation to Peggy's Cove? Is it possible to do both in one day and if not which one is better time spent. We have a rented van tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We hightailed it over to Lunenburg using Rt 103 then leisurely returned via Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove via the Lighthouse Route which followed the water. We had plenty of time to see everything we wanted to. Lunenburg was full of little shops and beautiful houses. Mahone Bay was very scenic as was Peggy's Cove.

Here is google map showing the routes we took.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Halifax,+NS,+Canada/Peggys+Cove,+NS,+Canada/Mahone+Bay,+NS,+Canada/Lunenburg,+NS,+Canada/Halifax,+NS,+Canada/@44.5435438,-64.2730962,10z/data=!4m42!4m41!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a211407dbfac1:0x666be3a6438b2ddc!2m2!1d-63.5753196!2d44.6488625!1m10!1m1!1s0x4b5a02e9d854b0e5:0x6b8306124c808566!2m2!1d-63.9175!2d44.492778!3m4!1m2!1d-64.0531941!2d44.5091509!3s0x4b59fb0ee4d53889:0xebce186dfe44aa12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b575fcaaffa63fb:0xcac5f4cf4516e49f!2m2!1d-64.3821478!2d44.4492183!1m10!1m1!1s0x4b575bc120aed143:0x56397a4fad304deb!2m2!1d-64.3188354!2d44.3770053!3m4!1m2!1d-64.2427087!2d44.5463322!3s0x4b59e6db0f6e93f7:0x9adb80afc10517c!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a211407dbfac1:0x666be3a6438b2ddc!2m2!1d-63.5753196!2d44.6488625!3e0

Edited by pizzalady1

Pizzalady

Looks like a great route. I copied the url, but am not sure it will work correctly. Was wifi available in Halifax so I can put it into my gps and then follow the route? Hopefully I can program the gps and then take off to see all the whole area. (We are renting a car, so that should help.)

Pizzalady

Looks like a great route. I copied the url, but am not sure it will work correctly. Was wifi available in Halifax so I can put it into my gps and then follow the route? Hopefully I can program the gps and then take off to see all the whole area. (We are renting a car, so that should help.)

I programmed my GPS at home before we left. I just forced the GPS to take the Lighthouse Route by putting in some of the small city names that you see when blowing up the Google map. Going the fast way to Lunenburg is straight Rt 103 then down Rt 324. Coming back, we took Rt 3 to Mahone Bay, Rt 3 to Chester, Rt 3 to Rt 329 to Blandford, Rt 3 to Rt 333 to Peggy's Cove, then Rt 3 back to Halifax.

Try this one. The towns I put in as via points should keep you on the coastal road the entire route from Lunenburg back to Halifax, whereas the route out to Lunenburg is the fastest way. You could shave time off by cutting out some of the interim towns between Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove (but I heartily recommend keeping Mahone Bay in).

Maryann, Cruisecritic automatically replaces many words with asterisks - but only on the front end. Masking links by adding the hyperlink to existing words in the post keeps any CC-unapproved words behind-the-scenes and working (just highlight a word or phrase, *then* click the Insert Hyperlink button and it will automatically assume you want to keep displaying the original words, no extra typing required).

I'm sure you just mentioned a very-well-known website rather than a naughty swearword in your post;-)

I programmed my GPS at home before we left. I just forced the GPS to take the Lighthouse Route by putting in some of the small city names that you see when blowing up the Google map. Going the fast way to Lunenburg is straight Rt 103 then down Rt 324. Coming back, we took Rt 3 to Mahone Bay, Rt 3 to Chester, Rt 3 to Rt 329 to Blandford, Rt 3 to Rt 333 to Peggy's Cove, then Rt 3 back to Halifax.

Thanks so much for this detailed information. I am hoping to do this exact route when in NS next month.

One question: the map says it takes approximately 4+ hours to drive this route. How much time did you spend in each location? I would like to take the 45 minute walking tour in Lunenberg, eat at Ryer's near Peggy's Cove and stop a few more times for photos if I see something of interest (which I know I will). How much time did you spend altogether and did you feel rushed getting back to Halifax? We are supposed to be in port from 9am to 6pm (and I really have no idea if it will be 8am or 10am in Halifax when we arrive :confused:). Thanks again.

I would like to use this route when we are in the area but am not sure how to get it into my nexus 7. It is new and I am setting it up for travel and would appreciate some help.

What navigation app works best, in your opinion? I am particularly interested in the ability to navigate offline.

Is there any way to program a route directly from a link like the one posted by Maryann, or does one have to enter it manually?

Doyouhaveanyothertipsformeinsettingupmynewtabletfortraveling?

Thanks All

I would like to use this route when we are in the area but am not sure how to get it into my nexus 7. It is new and I am setting it up for travel and would appreciate some help.

What navigation app works best, in your opinion? I am particularly interested in the ability to navigate offline.

Is there any way to program a route directly from a link like the one posted by Maryann, or does one have to enter it manually?

Doyouhaveanyothertipsformeinsettingupmynewtabletfortraveling?

Thanks All

While the Nexus 7 is listed as having a GPS, it doesn't really have a full-function offline one - you need a live data feed. Obviously that's going to get pricey when you're roaming.

There are however offline apps that allow maps to be download to your device before you travel - and those maps to be used with real-time calculation of your route (i.e. if you get lost or just change your mind about where you want to go). The most popular one I'm aware of is NavFree - Google Store link here.

If you already have a GPS for your car, it's always easiest to bring one - a dedicated piece of hardware generally outperforms a generic device. I've never come across a North American GPS that doesn't include maps of Canada.

As to importing maps - you can do this with dedicated GPS units, but I have no idea if that's a functionality available with the various apps. Google used to have a Send To GPS link but took it away this year - MapQuest still offers it though.

Worst case, plugging in the towns listed on my map (or Maryann's modified version) should only take a few minutes...

As to other tips - same as any smartphone if you have a mobile data version of the tablet rather than just wifi, learn how to turn off ALL of your automatic data-sucking features like auto updates, location-tracking etc. as well as ensuring you have selected 'Use WiFi Only if Available' rather than a 'use the strongest signal between WiFi & Mobile Data' setup.

'Airplane Mode' will shut down everything, but if you turn it off so you can hook up to a local WiFi signal you might end up with very expensive roaming data charges if you haven't properly set up your tablet (sorry, our Android tablets are not Google so while in theory they're the same as yours behind-the-scenes they don't look the same, so menu options differ - perhaps other Nexus owners will weigh in with specifics).