Thanks Captain MacDonald......

harry0

For a safe cruise on the Explorer through the turbulent waters of the Atlantic last week.

The video explanations showing our revised courses were greatly appreciated.

I have never seen a captain take the time to do videos explaining his actions with weather maps and show them continuously on the TV.

Thanks again

Harry

Edited by harry0

We were on Brilliance during the hurricane on the east coast in 2012. Our captain did videos then as well.

I was very impressed with their focus on safety and thanked the captain when I ran into him onboard.

They can't control the weather, but they can ensure we are as safe a possible. That's most important. I'm glad you had a similar recent experience.

For a safe cruise on the Explorer through the turbulent waters of the Atlantic last week.

The video explanations showing our revised courses were greatly appreciated.

I have never seen a captain take the time to do videos explaining his actions with weather maps and show them continuously on the TV.

Thanks again

Harry

Could I ask what your route was please? Guessing you went from Southampton? We are doing our first TA from Southampton straight to St Maarten on 1st Nov. Excited but also aware that it could be bumpy! Thanks.

Could I ask what your route was please? Guessing you went from Southampton? We are doing our first TA from Southampton straight to St Maarten on 1st Nov. Excited but also aware that it could be bumpy! Thanks.

Explorer is based out of Cape Liberty, New Jersey at the moment going to Bermuda and the Caribbean, so was navigating the Hurricanes/Tropical Storms. Explorer is out of Southampton next summer.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

Looks like Captain Macdonald will have no problems handling the tropical cyclones in the South Pacific when Explorer is based in Sydney.

On our first transatlantic cruise (in 2002) on Brilliance of the Seas, Captain James (MacDonald) guided us safely across the North Atlantic all the time managing to avoid the worst effects of Hurricane Gustave. We have cruised with Captain James several times since then, the last time being on the Jewel when Hurricane Sandie kept us tied up at the pier in Boston for two days. Captain James always keeps his passengers informed of situations as they arise during a cruise, what he is doing to insure as smooth and safe a trip as possible, and he is always visible around the ship and very approachable. We would gladly sail with him anywhere.:)

Explorer is based out of Cape Liberty, New Jersey at the moment going to Bermuda and the Caribbean, so was navigating the Hurricanes/Tropical Storms. Explorer is out of Southampton next summer.

Thank you! Was dreaming she was there already for some reason!

• 3 months later...

Explorer is no longer in NJ, it repo'd Nov 2014 to Port Canaveral. It is sailing roundtrip PC now until some time in March 2015 when it leaves PC for revitalization in Cadiz Spain.

Explorer is no longer in NJ, it repo'd Nov 2014 to Port Canaveral. It is sailing roundtrip PC now until some time in March 2015 when it leaves PC for revitalization in Cadiz Spain.

This thread and that post are from last October. She did not arrive in Port Canaveral until November 15.

:)