Solo cruise tips?

flwaterlover

I've cruised often, both when I was married and with several different groups of friends since. I'm taking my first totally solo cruise in November (NCL Sky). Any solo cruisers out there with suggestions or tips? I enjoy road trips by myself but wonder if this will be a totally different experience.

Thanks!

Hello, there is also a solo cruisers sub-forum but some of the things I would encourage are going to any solo gatherings/ participating in different type events, things in the atriums. Do not spend time alone in your room.

- Not sure where you are leaving from, but I found that the studios on the Breakaway/Epic (as well as Getaway) are great because they have solo gatherings.

Just go with the flow. That's the fun of going solo. You don't have to plan anything you don't want to, and you don't have to accommodate anyone's wishes but your own. There's always people to talk to and groups to join (check out your sailing's roll call), if you wish.

I did a solo 5 day cruise a couple of years ago. My focus that time was to get some things done, so I didn't mingle much.

I fly out Wed morning for a 16 day cruise - yes, 16 days (plus one night before the cruise) SOLO :eek:

I am involved in my roll call, so already have some relationships built there. This is an active roll call with 120 signed up for the meet & greet.

Through the roll call, so far I am:

- meeting one in person tomorrow to pick up some nametags

- have a pre-cruise dinner with those who are flying in the night before we embark

- sail-away party at which I will help hand out nametags

- meet & greet - I actually get to talk here

- I'm organizing the cabin crawl / poker draw

- having dinner twice at specialty restaurants with groups

- doing one excursion with a group - another cruiser booked this separate from NCL and all participants are on the roll call

- doing one snorkeling trip with a couple from the roll call

- luncheon on final sea day (70 signed up for this)

- we are also having a nightly "time & place" to meet before dinner for anyone who wants to show up. This allows a chance to discuss what has happened, what is planned, maybe a group meal, etc.

- there are some game players (dominoes / cards) on the roll call, so I may play games with others on sea days

So, because I chose to get active on the roll call, I'm not too concerned about being "bored" or "feeling alone".

I'm also purchasing an internet package to stay in touch with friends at home.

Edited by DorothyB

I've cruised often, both when I was married and with several different groups of friends since. I'm taking my first totally solo cruise in November (NCL Sky). Any solo cruisers out there with suggestions or tips? I enjoy road trips by myself but wonder if this will be a totally different experience.

Thanks!

I'm cruising solo for the first time in just a couple weeks--can't wait! I encourage you to check out the solo forum here on Cruise Critic. There are a lot of experienced solo cruisers there with lots of ideas.

I think a lot depends on what you're looking for from this vacation. Meeting people isn't really important to me; I'm just fine being on my own and don't feel lonely. But, if I do meet people I'm open to dinners and such. If you feel the same, then just go with the flow and see what happens. But, if you don't want to spend time alone or eat alone, get involved in your roll call (hopefully it'll be more active than mine!) and go to the solo gatherings and trivia and such on the ship.

Have a great trip!

:D

I've done 6 solo cruises, and love going by myself! The biggest tip I've learned (and it only took 5 solo cruises to figure this out!?!) concerns dining. If I want to share a table, when I get to the MDR I ask if a "sharing" table has already been started. If one has already been started then I ask to join it. However, if none has been started, then I ask for a table by myself. Too many times I was the first one at a table for 6 or 8 and no one else showed up to share the table. So I waited, and finally ordered, and had the big table to myself feeling silly.

I've taken part in roll calls (the best ever was on the Epic). But with the exception of the Epic, I never did anything with people from the roll calls. I did not stay in the Studio cabins, although I did join the lounge group prior to dinner a couple of times.

Although I am outgoing and literally can talk with anyone and everyone, I really enjoy doing what I want when I want to do it without having to consider what other people want to do. Just relax, lay back and do what you want to do!!;)

Edited by wvfrogg

As others have said....going solo ..can be whatever you make it !! You can be involved as much as you want..! And there are always things to do and people to be with (if you want!!!)

I cruised solo once (and doing it again in November)....and I loved it.. There are times I like to "run away from home"---and to me a cruise is a great way to do that..;)

My hint...don't worry about it ....enjoy the freedom...;)

I love to cruise solo~~this will be my sixth on October 27th on the Gem for 11 days and five islands. I had taken my daughter once and she hated it~~so it was seven days of hell and taken two high school friends and that was hell also~~did not want to do anything and would not even eat my Birthday cake~~which was a "big" birthday! I am involved in the NCL message board, we are gong to have a "meet and greet" and a cabin crawl and when we get to San Juan, going with a group for a day at the beach at the Marriott there! I love my alone time and my people time. Just go with the flow and have a great cruise. I always take a balcony~~just love it with the doors open at night and coffee in the morning on the balcony. Have fun!

I'm sailing on the Getaway on the 18th of October in a studio cabin.

I'd like to try out some of the specialty restaurants...how does it work

If your a solo...a table for 1, or is there any way to hook up with others who want to try it?

Any guidance would be appreciated

I'm sailing on the Getaway on the 18th of October in a studio cabin.

I'd like to try out some of the specialty restaurants...how does it work

If your a solo...a table for 1, or is there any way to hook up with others who want to try it?

Any guidance would be appreciated

I posted on my roll call that I'd like t have dinner at xxx restaurant, did anyone want to join me. Did this for two restaurants and there are groups of us dining together at each.

Did you go and were there many people there?

I did not go . I only read it in the daily a few times . I had not seen it before this cruise . I had only noticed Friends of Bill W. And LGBT informal gatherings before this . My thoughts were it's a good thing NCL is to add for their guests.

I did not go . I only read it in the daily a few times . I had not seen it before this cruise . I had only noticed Friends of Bill W. And LGBT informal gatherings before this . My thoughts were it's a good thing NCL is to add for their guests.

I agree. I saw it on the Jade dailies that someone posted (I'm on the Jade in two weeks). IIRC, people commented that the gatherings on the non-studio ships weren't very well attended so I was curious about your experience. Thanks!

I sailed last year solo (on another line). I have traveled solo (on land tours) but this was my first solo cruise. I got the cabin I wanted in case I wanted time to myself. I stocked up the ipad with movies and the e-reader with books.

They weren't really needed. I met some great people at the sailaway and didn't have much alone time the entire cruise.

I love traveling solo. You can do as much or as little as you want on the ship and on shore.

I already booked an NCL cruise solo for late next year. From what I've read, NCL does a lot for solo travelers.

Enjoy your cruise.

I sail solo, with my husband and with friends. My best advice if you're sailing solo and want to meet other people is just be open and friendly. Join the solo meet-ups, and any fun activities. You'll meet lots of people and have people to do things with when you want to, and of course have plenty of alone time when you want that too.