Getting from Port Melbourne to Federation Square...?

corpkid

What's my best bet on getting from the port in Melbourne to Federation Square and back? We arrive on the Oceania Marina on Feb. 14 at 8:00 and set sail at midnight. We may want to go back to the ship for a nap mid-day if possible and then go back out to have dinner in the city... I'm not sure if our ship (or the port) offer shuttle service. If so great - but if not.....?

Thanks!

What's my best bet on getting from the port in Melbourne to Federation Square and back? We arrive on the Oceania Marina on Feb. 14 at 8:00 and set sail at midnight. We may want to go back to the ship for a nap mid-day if possible and then go back out to have dinner in the city... I'm not sure if our ship (or the port) offer shuttle service. If so great - but if not.....?

Thanks!

Melbourne has an excellent tram network. The 109 tram leaves from Station Pier regularly and passes through the centre of Melbourne. To get to Federation Square, alight from the tram at corner Collins and Swanston St's, then walk down Swanston St to you come to Federation Square. For the return journey, just walk back to Collins St and take the 109 back to the pier.

You will require a Myki pass. for See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1882808.html details

Melbourne has an excellent tram network. The 109 tram leaves from Station Pier regularly and passes through the centre of Melbourne. To get to Federation Square, alight from the tram at corner Collins and Swanston St's, then walk down Swanston St to you come to Federation Square. For the return journey, just walk back to Collins St and take the 109 back to the pier.

You will require a Myki pass. for See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1882808.html details

Thank you. Looks like we can buy one near the station. How much is a trip? I'm a little confused on that. We don't want to put too much on it. Looks like $6? Is that correct?

Is the $6.00 price for each journey from the port into the city centre and return?

Our cruise has an overnight stop in Melbourne.

No, that is cost to purchase a Myki Card.

If you click on the website, you can calculate the fare from the port into the CBD. Someone from Melbourne may be able to tell you the amount for each journey.

Is the $6.00 price for each journey from the port into the city centre and return?

Our cruise has an overnight stop in Melbourne.

For details see: http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/visiting-melbourne/

"The myki Visitor Pack includes a durable myki smartcard pre-loaded with enough value for one day’s travel in Zone 1, which includes the entire tram network."

"A full fare myki Visitor Pack costs $14 and includes $8 myki money for travel."

I agree Melbourne has a great tram network.

But the Myki system is a clusterf--k. It's insane. I do not understand why you cannot just walk up and buy a ticket, or drop money in a fare box. You practically need a degree to figure out the Myki system. It is not user friendly, and it's even worse for tourists. I also find the ONLY helpful staff have been at the Myki store in Southern Cross Station, but to get there you almost have to already have a Myki!

I've never been to the port, so I can't speak as to helpful the staff are there, but my experience is that the Flinders Street Station Myki desk is next to useless, unless you already understand the system. It is the least user friendly mass transit fare system I have ever seen.

The Myki card is no different from the SMRT card in Singapore, the Octopus card in Hong Kong and the Oyster card in London. They all provide cheap and simple travel.

The main problems with Myki, and I suspect we'll have similar problems with the new Sydney Opal card, is that the information provided to the resellers isn't very good. We had some difficulty getting concession Myki cards a couple of years ago but got them in the end.

But the Tourist card should be easy to buy.

I live in Melbourne and the myki system is appallingly bad. Nothing like the efficiency and value of Singapore, HK or London-and we have used mass transit in all of those places. I absolutely agree with ellieanne-myki is a disgrace. However, for a one day visit, it's the cheapest way to go.

As stated, the card will cost you $6 pp, plus about $3.50 for a one way trip into the CBD from the port.

Once you get into the CBD the City Circle tram is free-it's an old style heritage tram that's a bit of a novelty and does a circuit of the area.

The Port Melbourne area where you will be docked has some good eateries for dinner if you don't want to go back into the city. The Pier Hotel is a bit of an icon with good food and atmosphere-it's walking distance from the dock.

Hope you have a great time.

and now just to confuse everyone....

You could also be bused into the city. As you can imagine when the ship, or sometimes 2 ships arrive at the same time and off load 2,000 passengers each , an enormous strain is put on the train/tram service. The last time we were there they supplemented the train/tram service with buses. It was actually better as we were dropped off by the bridge at Federation Square , and then we returned later in the day , at our leisure , by train/tram to the port.

I live in Melbourne and the myki system is appallingly bad. Nothing like the efficiency and value of Singapore, HK or London-and we have used mass transit in all of those places. I absolutely agree with ellieanne-myki is a disgrace. However, for a one day visit, it's the cheapest way to go.

As stated, the card will cost you $6 pp, plus about $3.50 for a one way trip into the CBD from the port.

Once you get into the CBD the City Circle tram is free-it's an old style heritage tram that's a bit of a novelty and does a circuit of the area.

The Port Melbourne area where you will be docked has some good eateries for dinner if you don't want to go back into the city. The Pier Hotel is a bit of an icon with good food and atmosphere-it's walking distance from the dock.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for your comments.

We have visited Melbourne many times, but this will be our first visit by ship, the City Circle tram is a great asset.

Melbourne is a beautiful city.

• 3 months later...

I read that stations and trams have onboard coin-operated ticket machines (usually no conductors) for buying one-way tickets. Is that not true? I don't want to buy the Myki card for one afternoon. Thanks.

The trams used to have coin operated machines, but I have not seen them on the trams in quite a while. As far as I know, the ONLY option for trams/trains is to buy a Myki, even for only an afternoon. I'm sorry.

Just received our MYKI cards in the mail for a one day visit to Melbourne during a cruise on The Diamond Princess leaving 16th next month. I friend of mine living in Melbourne says the card is the ONLY way to access public transport. Not much of a hassle doing it on line. I applied for a concession card (we are old in years but not spirit) with a minimum $10 top up. The top up was a bit difficult as the web page did not always indicate that you could do it. If I remember you have to go in after clicking on interstate or overseas visitors. Each persons needs to apply individually. Total cost $13 each. The tourist pack may be better value. We plan to use the free city tram for an overview of the city, then perhaps the HoHo bus. To and from the ship to CBD is, as was mentioned above, is on the Box Hill 109 tram.

I live in Melbourne, just wanted to say that the 109 tram doesn't go passed Fed square. It goes to Southern Cross station in Spencer's Street and then up Collins Street. You could get off at the Collins Street/Swanston Street intersection and walk down to Fed Square it's only 2 blocks. It may be quicker to gat cab, shouldn't cost to much about $25.

Joan

Edited by featherski