Best way from cruise port to Venice St. Lucia train station

SisterSue523

Will be taking train from Venice St. Lucia train station to Rome. What is the EASIEST way to get from the cruise port to station. Heard you could walk with luggage but there is a challenging bridge. Are cabs expensive? Any public transportation? Thanks

With luggage it's easier to leave from the Venice Mestre station on the mainland because you can take a land taxi from the cruise port.

For Venice Santa Lucia, there's no land option. You can take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then either cross the bridge with your luggage, or take the vaporetto one stop across the canal.

Caveat Emptor all trains originate at Venezia St Lucia, but many of them run express through Venezia Mestre on the mainland.

One cannot take a road taxi from the cruise port to St Lucia station . Water taxi probably yes, but costs a fortune. From the cruise terminal you can take a road taxi to Piazzale de Roma. From there you walk over a bridge over the Grand Canal and 500m or so along the Grand Canal to St. Lucia station .

Other way is take the People Mover one stop to Piazzale de Roma. You will arrive in the rear right hand corner of the Piazzale de Roma. Walk diagonally to the front left hand corner, then follow the quayside along the Grand Canal (level) to a pedestrian bridge over the Grand Canal oppositte the St Lucia station . Locals will carry your bags over the bridge for a couple of Euros.

St Lucia Station is a rather plain buff marble building with an FS logo on the facia .

If your cruise boat is smaller and arrives at the San Basilio piers then - you can take a road taxi to Piazzale de Roma then walk, or take the Vaporetto from San Basilio in the direction to Piazzale de Roma (NOT direction San Marco) then walk .

Caveat Emptor all trains originate at Venezia St Lucia, but many of them run express through Venezia Mestre on the mainland.

Both parts of this statement are wrong.

First, not all trains departing from Venice originate at Santa Lucia, there are trains that start at Mestre.

Second, show me a train that starts at Santa Lucia but does not stop at Mestre. The first stop for every train that departs Santa Lucia for Rome is Mestre.

I know you post here to help fellow cruisers - please don't confuse them or steer them wrong by posting incorrect information. I don't want to sound like an old school marm (or worse, your mother) but I've corrected you on this in the past. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1901095&highlight=mestre

Will be taking train from Venice St. Lucia train station to Rome. What is the EASIEST way to get from the cruise port to station. Heard you could walk with luggage but there is a challenging bridge. Are cabs expensive? Any public transportation? Thanks

We will be taking the train from Venice to Rome in early July. After doing a lot of research we decided to take the train from Santa Lucia and purchased out tickets. We are docking at San Basilio and we will take the vaporetto from there to the train station.

We will be taking the train from Venice to Rome in early July. After doing a lot of research we decided to take the train from Santa Lucia and purchased out tickets. We are docking at San Basilio and we will take the vaporetto from there to the train station.

That's what we did in September from the San Basilio terminal, and it was easy, very uncrowded onboard the vaporetto at 9 AM.

That's what we did in September from the San Basilio terminal, and it was easy, very uncrowded onboard the vaporetto at 9 AM.

I did the same as well. It is so easy from San Basilio, but not so easy from the Maritimma port, even with the People Mover.

With luggage it's easier to leave from the Venice Mestre station on the mainland because you can take a land taxi from the cruise port.

For Venice Santa Lucia, there's no land option. You can take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then either cross the bridge with your luggage, or take the vaporetto one stop across the canal.

Hi! Euro cruiser, my question to is the opposite direction. We will arrive Venice from Florence by train, and from all the info. I got is getting off Mestre station, take a taxi to port( passenger terminal.) Do we just hop on any taxi or should we use private car service? Do the taxi in Venice running meter or fixed price? Thanks!

I'm not aware of a fixed price plan in Venice, so as far as I know it's all by meter. Whether to take a taxi or a pre-arranged car service is about what you're comfortable with. I generally just grab a cab because I like to be able to make decisions on the fly, but that's me.

I'm not aware of a fixed price plan in Venice, so as far as I know it's all by meter. Whether to take a taxi or a pre-arranged car service is about what you're comfortable with. I generally just grab a cab because I like to be able to make decisions on the fly, but that's me.

Thanks, Do you have some idea about how much it is from Mestre Station to the port?

• 1 year later...

Just did the cruise dock to train station. We're older, don't move so fast and had two heavy bags. Walk off your boat and initially there are some good signs to the people mover. Signage disappears, so follow the exit signs and follow most of the people leaving. At the base of the people mover, you'll need tickets, a euro and a half each. Use the vending machine. It takes coins, bills or credit cards. Go up the escalator or elevator. Watch the signs over the door for which train goes to plaza Roma (hint: if the last train went toward the plaza, the next one is going the wrong way. Once at the bottom of the people mover, exit the building and go across the street and left through the plaza toward the high bridge. We go to the bridge and started pulling our bags up each step, when two locals helped us carry our bags over. Very nice, but my offer to tip the two euros each was met by the "ten ten" comment, cost us ten euros each. My wife said money well spent. I asked a porter with a large porter cart how much he charges for two suitcases and he said ten euros total. Hint: use the porter at the bottom of the bridge and save money. Train station is ahead on the left... Long low building with steps and a ramp for suitcases on the left. Inside the large lobby are electronic signs if you already bought your tickets. Use the time leaving and the train number to see what track it leaves from. Hint: track numbers don't show until about half an hour before the train leaves. Tracks are number 1 on the far right to larger numbers on the right. Bathrooms are called servicos on the right side of track one, about half way down. You need one euro on coins to enter. If no coins, there's a coin change machine at the entrance for five euro bills only. No fives, go visit a cambibio change place back behind you. Be at the track where the train boards 10-15 minutes early so you aren't rushed. Luggage stores inside the train steps, or on its side in the entrance, or if no room there, ask a fellow traveler to help you put it the overhead sideways. Second class seats look like they're airline seat configuration, first class seats are the same seats, but four people face a table. There's a snack bar on the train, they'll announce it after every stop. Next stops appear in the overhead signs but the main signage show where trains leave from at the upcoming station. Last hint: Florence stop doesn't say Florence, it's called FirenzeSMN (Santa Maria Novella) station. We're here, legs are tired but Florence is beautiful. About to take a hop on hop off bus sightseeing 20 euros for one day, 25 for two days. Two days was a good buy for the extra five euros. You can walk most of the old town easily as busses can't go there. Have fun, hope this helps. Watch out for the gelato shops... they're using gelato to smuggle fat back into the US around the middle of older Americans...smile!

Well it does say Florence really, remember you are in Italia so the station signage will be in Italian .

Venice - Venezia Milan - Milano Florence - Firenze Rome - Roma

Genoa - Genova, Naples - Napoli .

Platform - Binario In Partenza - Departures

The main station in Venezia is St Lucia, In Milano - Centrale, In Florence - Santa Maria Novella (SMN), In Roma - Termini, In Pisa - Centrale, In Genova - Centrale . In Napoli - Centrale .

I just price out the train from Venice to Geneva....the price is significantly more expensive leaving from Mestre rather than Santa Lucia station....perhaps the prices differ on different days, but this surprised me...and obviously, it is the same train...Euro city 42...

4:20PM

Venezia S Lucia 11:19PM

Geneve

6hr

59min

EuroCity

EuroCity 42

from

$59 View

from

$106 View

4:32PM

Venezia Mestre 11:19PM

Geneva

6hr

47min

EC

EC 42

from

$139 View

from

$212 View

Just did the cruise dock to train station. We're older, don't move so fast and had two heavy bags. Walk off your boat and initially there are some good signs to the people mover. Signage disappears, so follow the exit signs and follow most of the people leaving. At the base of the people mover, you'll need tickets, a euro and a half each. Use the vending machine. It takes coins, bills or credit cards. Go up the escalator or elevator. Watch the signs over the door for which train goes to plaza Roma (hint: if the last train went toward the plaza, the next one is going the wrong way. Once at the bottom of the people mover, exit the building and go across the street and left through the plaza toward the high bridge. We go to the bridge and started pulling our bags up each step, when two locals helped us carry our bags over. Very nice, but my offer to tip the two euros each was met by the "ten ten" comment, cost us ten euros each. My wife said money well spent. I asked a porter with a large porter cart how much he charges for two suitcases and he said ten euros total. Hint: use the porter at the bottom of the bridge and save money. Train station is ahead on the left... Long low building with steps and a ramp for suitcases on the left. Inside the large lobby are electronic signs if you already bought your tickets. Use the time leaving and the train number to see what track it leaves from. Hint: track numbers don't show until about half an hour before the train leaves. Tracks are number 1 on the far right to larger numbers on the right. Bathrooms are called servicos on the right side of track one, about half way down. You need one euro on coins to enter. If no coins, there's a coin change machine at the entrance for five euro bills only. No fives, go visit a cambibio change place back behind you. Be at the track where the train boards 10-15 minutes early so you aren't rushed. Luggage stores inside the train steps, or on its side in the entrance, or if no room there, ask a fellow traveler to help you put it the overhead sideways. Second class seats look like they're airline seat configuration, first class seats are the same seats, but four people face a table. There's a snack bar on the train, they'll announce it after every stop. Next stops appear in the overhead signs but the main signage show where trains leave from at the upcoming station. Last hint: Florence stop doesn't say Florence, it's called FirenzeSMN (Santa Maria Novella) station. We're here, legs are tired but Florence is beautiful. About to take a hop on hop off bus sightseeing 20 euros for one day, 25 for two days. Two days was a good buy for the extra five euros. You can walk most of the old town easily as busses can't go there. Have fun, hope this helps. Watch out for the gelato shops... they're using gelato to smuggle fat back into the US around the middle of older Americans...smile!

Thank you for your valuable information. We will be also doing a cruise from Venice in November and will also be arriving/departing Venice via train (Santa Lucia Station).

In your experience, how long did it take from the time you left the ship to the time you arrived at the train station?