Doing back to back cruise on the same day from Civitavechhia, what do do with luggage

gam888

We are getting off the MSC, it arrives in Rome at 7am. They said the latest time we can get off the ship is maybe around 10am. Then we are getting on the Royal Caribbean, she sails out at 5pm. Royal Caribbean said we can check in maybe around Noon. My question is: once we get off the MSC ship, claim our luggage, is there some kind of storage we can leave our luggage for 2 to 3 hours before we check them into the Royal Caribbean area? If so, we can leave the port area and walk around in the Civitavechhia town for a bit before returning back to the port area to check in with Royal Caribbean later on. Otherwise I presume we would have to sit in some kind of lounge once we have picked up our luggage from MSC, and wait at the waiting room at the Royal Caribbean counter until it's time to check in. Reason being I will not want to walk around Civitavechhia with our luggage, it won't be fun to do that. Anyone who has done back to back cruise on the same day, please share their experience what options do you have in this situation? Also we have been to Rome before so will not be inclined to take any tours into the city with the limited time in between. Thanks in advance.

The last time we disembarked in Civitavecchia, around 9 AM, there were already people lined up to board. I think if you leave the first ship at 9 or 9:30, you will be able to go straight over to the second ship and at the very least drop off your luggage. Then you could spend the day meandering in Civitavecchia.

Thanks everybody for replying. I am hoping to stay on the MSC until the last moment possible before they make everyone leave. (by 10?) Then hopefully we pick up our luggage and don't have a long walk to walk over to the Royal Caribbean ship. I called Royal Caribbean and they said we should be able to check in by 11:30. So maybe there will be an hour and a half of being in "No man's land" kind of time. But we will try to find the RC counter and ask them if we can at least check in the luggage at their terminal, even if we can't check in yet. The only thing is, it will be really busy there with people getting off their ship and looking for their luggage at the terminal, while we are arriving at the same time with our luggage to check in, hope they don't get misplaced!

I wouldn't hesitate to go straight to the RC ship. They always say some later time, but you will not be the first ones there, I guarantee it. I've gotten to the pier as early as 10 AM before and been able to check my luggage AND check in. In your case, I'd just drop the luggage and not even bother to check in (unless it's wide open) and catch the port bus into town.

However, you may not be able to walk to your ship. They don't like people meandering about the port on their own. You MAY have to catch the port bus with your luggage to the drop off spot, then take a different bus to the RC ship. But I would ask the first bus driver if he can drop you right at your ship.

Worst case scenario…… hire a taxi - put luggage in trunk. Go have a nice breakfast while taxi waits…… taxi back to port. Might be a bit of cost…..but we have always negotiated with taxis in similar circumstances…… OR just get another taxi from restaurant. Civi just isn't that big.