Getting from EWR to our Manhattan hotel. Please talk to me like I'm an idiot.

I promise that no matter how much you talk down to me, I won't be offended. If you feel the need to use baby talk, I won't mind. Goo goo ga ga.

At any rate, the DW and I will be arriving at EWR around 1:00 on June 24th. We're staying at the Wolcott which is on West 31st Street between 5th and the Avenue of the Americas. (Is that called 6th?) It looks like I can take an "Air Train" (WTH is that?) from the airport to some place in New Jersey and then take another train to "Penn Station". Assuming that this mystical Penn Station is actually in New York and that I haven't been accidentally delivered to Pennsylvania, then what should I do?

Before you answer, you should probably know that my job requires me to sit for a living. Most people say that they are in average shape. I don't. I know good and well that well over 75% of the population is in better condition than I am. My BMI is a 2 digit number but that's about all that you can say for it.

It looks like it should be an easy 1/2 mile walk (according to Google maps) to the hotel. It also looks like it should be about 2 blocks. Just how big are New York City blocks? I thought that Texas was where things were supposed to be bigger.

Can I exit the station onto 31st Street? Should I? Am I just asking to get mugged? Is a fat man pulling a wheeled suitcase a prime target? If I hail a taxi, will the driver scoff because I only want to go 1/2 a mile or will he get me there by way of Long Island?

What about the "Air Train" itself? Will it be luggage friendly? Does it go past Petticoat Junction?

Whatever you recommend, even if it's "You should probably just stay at home", please remember that the DW will be with me and I will be judged harshly by whatever action I take.

TIA.

Avenue of the Americas is 6th Ave.

Unfortunately for you Airtrain is currently closed for repairs until July 15, so that alters your strategy for getting into NYC.

I would recommend taking the NYC airport bus for $16/pp or $28 round trip if you are returning to Newark Airport. http://Www.coachusa.com. These buses run every 15 minutes and pick up at every terminal. I think they pick up on the baggage claim level, but you can check that when you get there. You can get off at the Bryant Park stop and take a cab the 11 blocks to your hotel. Cab should be under $10. I think you want to hail a cab on the south side of 42nd St going east to turn south on 5th Ave to go to 31st St to go west to your hotel. If it's raining, you might do better going to the last bus stop at Grand Central Terminal - perhaps the New Yorkers can comment on this.

If you like I can provide the train directions, but right now you have to take some sort of shuttle bus to Newark Penn Station from the airport and then take the train to New York Penn Station and they still charge you $12.50/pp.

Avenue of the Americas is 6th Ave.

Unfortunately for you Airtrain is currently closed for repairs until July 15, so that alters your strategy for getting into NYC.

I would recommend taking the NYC airport bus for $16/pp or $28 round trip if you are returning to Newark Airport. Www.coachusa.com. These buses run every 15 minutes and pick up at every terminal. I think they pick up on the baggage claim level, but you can check that when you get there. You can get off at the Bryant Park stop and take a cab the 11 blocks to your hotel. Cab should be under $10. I think you want to hail a cab on the south side of 42nd St going east to turn south on 5th Ave to go to 31st St to go west to your hotel. If it's raining, you might do better going to the last bus stop at Grand Central Terminal - perhaps the New Yorkers can comment on this.

If you like I can provide the train directions, but right now you have to take some sort of shuttle bus to Newark Penn Station from the airport and then take the train to New York Penn Station and they still charge you $12.50/pp.

I agree with 138.. Getting a cab at Bryant park should be easier than the hectic scene at GCT(grand central)http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

You can get a skycap to take you to where the bus leaves from(tip them).

Taking the train when it runs is more walking than the bus.

an airport cab from EWR to that area of Manhattan will run about $70.00 or more -including tolls and tip

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service.html

The price per cab is per cab not per person(that's true of the cab in Manhattan too) You should tip the cab drivers 15-20% of the fare but no less than a dollar(IMO)...

What they said.

But FYI the air train is a monorail that runs around the airport connecting stuff...they have replaced it with a bus until repairs are made, or the tracks are updated or whatever...

Because the port authority of NY and NJ thought it would be fun to cause a mess during part of the summer travel season...morons.

Incidentally, the buses they use at cape liberty also had AIRTRAIN BYPASS BUS stickers on them..Rutgers is RAKING in the cash...

Just to clarify about the train stations. Newark has two train stations - Newark Liberty International Airport Station and Newark Penn Station. There is no vehicle access to the Airport Station. The only way to get there is by the Airtrain monorail, so with the monorail closed for repairs, the Airport train station is also closed.

Bus service is being provided to Newark Penn Station. Regular ticket fees apply. http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain-suspension.html

This has made getting to Manhattan by train much more inconvenient - bus from a terminal into downtown Newark and a transfer upstairs to the train with luggage. Even with elevators, this will be annoying. However, if you need to take Amtrak or NJ Transit this is your only choice until July 15.

There is frequent NY bus service stopping at each airport terminal - http://www.coachusa.com For folks going into Manhattan with luggage we are recommending you take the airport bus, get off at Port Authority, Bryant Park, or Grand Central Station, and take a cab to your NYC destination.

While there is bus service at the terminals to replace the Air Train, there is nothing that takes you to the train station where you catch Amtrak or NJ Transit. That station is closed until the work is done.

Oh yes, that's right. I knew that but apparently that fact escaped my over-clogged noggin last night!!

For my money, I would skip all this hassle and take the SuperShuttle. Looks like it would cost you $47 total, each way, for you and your wife, which isn't a whole lot more than you're talking about paying. Get picked up at the airport terminal exit and delivered straight to your hotel's front door. It doesn't get much easier than that, and you get to see a lot of NYC area on the way. I especially enjoy it when they drop off the other passengers first (there are 11 van passengers total), so you can see what some of the other hotels look like.

Another advantage that I like is that you pay when you make your online reservation. You can even prepay the tip. It's just that much less cash I have to carry, or think about handling.

I think your DW will judge you kindly for using this option. :D

Super Shuttle up here kinda stinks.....it's NOT as good as it is in other states...not sure why, but it's just something we don't suggest.

The time I used them, I honestly thought I would be in a serious accident, the driver was an idiot...

I wouldn't use it, but it's an option...just not a particularly good one IMO...that would be why we don't suggest super shuttle here...

Well bummer. I was perfectly ready to say "Hey great! I'll take the Super Shuttle and get a partial NYC tour for free!" I am not, however, prepared to risk our lives to get said tour.

I appreciate all of the responses so far. I especially appreciate the info about the Air Train being unavailable. That is a total drag. I fully intend to tweet Governor Christie about the travel problems that he is causing me. I'm sure that he will be sympathetic to my plight.

So it looks like my best options are coachusa or dial7. My "back of the envelope" calculations (which are unofficial because I used a sticky note) put the cost at around $80 vs $130 for both of us round trip. That's a little ironic because I'm using my Southwest Airlines credit card points and so the roundtrip airfare for both of us from Oklahoma City to Newark cost me $99.

Decisions. Decisions.

Well bummer. I was perfectly ready to say "Hey great! I'll take the Super Shuttle and get a partial NYC tour for free!" I am not, however, prepared to risk our lives to get said tour.

I appreciate all of the responses so far. I especially appreciate the info about the Air Train being unavailable. That is a total drag. I fully intend to tweet Governor Christie about the travel problems that he is causing me. I'm sure that he will be sympathetic to my plight.

So it looks like my best options are coachusa or dial7. My "back of the envelope" calculations (which are unofficial because I used a sticky note) put the cost at around $80 vs $130 for both of us round trip. That's a little ironic because I'm using my Southwest Airlines credit card points and so the roundtrip airfare for both of us from Oklahoma City to Newark cost me $99.

Decisions. Decisions.

Know that nothing is cheap here...LOL. Yes cab/car service from the EWR area to the pier, which is meh, 5-10 miles, costs 50-60 bucks....:eek:

(That's IN state..crossing state lines makes it MORE expensive.....)

Agree, stay away from super shuttle, they even wait at terminals until full or near full.

The bus in the link provided stops at all three terminals and there is a discount for round trip. They ONLY collect fares at the last terminal ©, so if you are not at that terminal you board the bus and when it pulls into C a supervisor gets on and collects the fare or sells tickets.

With out AirTrain it is a mess at Newark.

I agree with others on here, don't do Super Shuttle. Take the bus or pay the money for a cab.

A cab will be much less taxing physically. I guess part of this depends on how much luggage you have and how good you are at managing it. Living in NYC has trained me to only travel with what I can comfortably lug up and down subway stairs, etc. If you are not travelling that way, take the cab. Also, it will be hot most likely in late June.

And yep, NYC is expensive. Enjoy your visit!

Sorry for butting in but seems you have some experienced people posting

So I want to fly to any. Get hotel do a day tour see 911 memorial then take a train to Boston.

So help folks so which airport and where is the train station. I'm worried hotels near train might not be safe. Any ideas????

Jiffymom - could you provide more specific details? Exactly what dates do you want to do this? How many people? How many nights? Budget?

My understanding is that you want to fly in from California, spend either one or two nights, and take the train to Boston. Another possibility is that you fly in, spend the night, spend the next day seeing the 911 memorial and touring NYC, and take an evening train to Boston.

We recommend hotels at Newark airport all the time. Downtown Newark also has hotels that are safe hotels. In fact there are several new hotel offerings in Newark that folks have stayed in. However, the overall comments from folks are that the hotels are just fine, but they did not feel comfortable in the outside neighborhood. Cabs or hotel shuttle between Newark Penn Station and any Newark hotel (except for the Hilton which is right at Penn Station) would be recommended.

What are your plans in Boston? Do you need a hotel?

Sorry for butting in but seems you have some experienced people posting

So I want to fly to any. Get hotel do a day tour see 911 memorial then take a train to Boston.

So help folks so which airport and where is the train station. I'm worried hotels near train might not be safe. Any ideas????

If your main objective is to see the 9/11 memorial in NY, I'd suggest you stay in Manhattan.

The choice of airport will depend heavily on airfare. LGA is the closest airport to Manhattan and about a $35-40 taxi or car service ride to midtown, but if airfare to EWR or JFK is significantly cheaper, by all means fly into one of those airports.

Hotel choice will depend on your budget. Don't worry about staying near Penn Station. It's only a short taxi ride from almost anywhere in Manhattan.

Edited by njhorseman

I really hate to see y'all totally discounting Super Shuttle. I have had a brother in a nursing home in Manhattan for the past six or seven years. I have been making two trips a year to see him, as has my little brother and his wife from AL. Most of those (separate) trips into the City from various airports have been via Super Shuttle. I have never ever experienced a scary driver, and I scare easily. IMO, you stand a much better chance of getting a reckless taxi driver. MUCH better chance! The only problem either one of us have ever had was feeling forgotten at the airport, and another phone call to them solved that. Sure, sometimes you are on the early end of the airport pickups and have to make a few rounds until the van is full. Others, you are the last one picked up and leave immediately for the city. It's always seemed a viable option for me, and all but once have I chosen it over a taxi or private driver, and that was when I had my two granddaughers with me.

I have a very low tolerance for "hassle" AND spending extra money. Super Shuttle to me is a very good option. All I'm saying is don't discount it completely. I feel like, between my brother and myself, we have enough experience with them, certainly more than the person here who used them a single time, to speak with confidence.

On the point of Super Shuttle, the reason I don't recommend it is as you say that it can take quite a bit of time to fill up, drive to other hotels, etc. Sure you might get lucky and go pretty much straight to your hotel. But if you take the Newark Airport Express Bus, which leaves every 15 minutes, then you are guaranteed a relatively quick journey (not as quick as a cab, but also much cheaper -it's $30 round trip). For tourists with limited time to visit the city, I just assume they'd rather not spend that time sitting in a Super Shuttle van at the airport. YMMV.

My personal preference is actually to take the train so I can then easily hop on the subway to my apartment, but that's out altogether for the moment with the repair work being done to the Airtrain.

I think you should be able to walk it from Bryant Park. The only long block is walking east from Ave of Americas towards Fifth. The hotel is right off Fifth avenue. When I put it into Hopstop directions for walking it said .52 mile. Bryant Park is between 40 and 42 not sure which block bus drops you off. So it's ten short blocks and one long block.

And the winner is..........................TAKING THE BUS!!! Specifically the CoachUSA bus. USA! USA! USA!

After a long and heartfelt talk with my DW, we decided that I had sufficient life insurance to risk walking from Bryant Park to the hotel.

One more question if I might. It's kind of stupid, but remember, I'm an idiot. Do you tip your bus driver?

If you're interested, I'll probably do a live review of the Splendor (depending on internet availability) in a couple of weeks. Look for a thread in the Carnival section titled something like "Nars Glinley's Splendiforous Splendor review. Come for the pictures, stay for the sarcasm." Or something to that effect.

Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate all of the advice.

Nars Glinley

(not my real name)

Kevin

(my real name)

And the winner is..........................TAKING THE BUS!!! Specifically the CoachUSA bus. USA! USA! USA!

After a long and heartfelt talk with my DW, we decided that I had sufficient life insurance to risk walking from Bryant Park to the hotel.

One more question if I might. It's kind of stupid, but remember, I'm an idiot. Do you tip your bus driver?

If you're interested, I'll probably do a live review of the Splendor (depending on internet availability) in a couple of weeks. Look for a thread in the Carnival section titled something like "Nars Glinley's Splendiforous Splendor review. Come for the pictures, stay for the sarcasm." Or something to that effect.

Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate all of the advice.

Nars Glinley

(not my real name)

Kevin

(my real name)

If he loads or unloads your 10000 bags, then yes, feel free to tip. If not, no need.....

You're not an idiot, nor stupid...you've been very entertaining!! :)

Nars (Kevin) I can't wait to read your live reports. I don't think you are stupid either. One word of advice The streets are very safe but there are con artists and pick pockets as in any major city Just keep on walking and don't engage with anyone until you get to your hotel. Just say no thank you to whatever and keep walking