Snorkeling in Curacao?

tlsearay

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and snorkeled on the sunken tugboat. Fantastic. Lots of coral and fish. Did not want to leave. We booked a tour with curacao-actief. They went from land though, gave a a nice tour of Wilmestandt. While we were there another tour operator, Miss Ann came in. I think they were with our boat, Royal Princess. I spoke with people on that tour and they said it was great. What we really liked about Curacao-actief was that they were reasonably priced and went even though it was just the two of us on tour. This gave us the option to do what we wanted, so we stayed longer at tugboat so we could snorkel longer which was our primary goal.

• 4 weeks later...

We did Tugboat on our own--took the bus and walked the rest of the way. Not sure how much a taxi would be. There is an old fort along the way you can explore.

It is a very easy swim out to the Tugboat. It was a bit windy the day we were there, but the water was quite calm where the wreck is located.

There is great snorkeling to the northwest of town, but getting there requires a rental car or fairly expensive taxi ride. If time is short or you just don't want to venture too far from town, the Tugboat is a great option.

• 4 weeks later...

We enjoyed a private excursion using Scubaçao Diving Adventures. They picked 2 of us up at the pier. We had our own snorkel masks but she also brought wet suits called shorties which were just right. Did the sunken and than snorkel other site. Quick tour of old castle. I would highly recommend.

We are returning to Curacao later this year but will seek out a beach to relax at that we can snorkel from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

mcmarya - you mentioned great snorkeling northwest of town. Could you be more specific? We have visited Curacao a few times, Cas Abao, tugboat, other places, via taxi or tour and on our upcoming trip will be renting a car to seek out more out of the way (or distant) places with good snorkeling. thanks!

We're considering Irie Tours "West End Beach Hopping" excursion which includes a few different snorkeling opportunities. Haven't done it yet, but it's well reviewed here and on Trip Advisor. The tug boat snorkeling is the other options we're seriously considering, but the Irie tour includes more, so leaning that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, have been away. It has been long enough that my memory is a little vague. We did go to Playa Kalki and Lagun. We also drove by Playa Porto Mari but did not have time to stop--it looked nice. We stopped at some other spots back in about 1999 but don't remember which ones. Both of the places we went snorkeling had lots to see.

• 1 month later...