OASIS Review May 21-28 2017

Meant to do this closer to when we returned but work and life got in the way! Oh well, better late than never! My husband and I have been on many cruises and love RCCL. Our son just graduated college the week before and joined us along with his GF who had never cruised before. Good friends of ours who have never cruised also joined us. Bottom Line: WE HAD A BLAST! ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHIP!

We flew down on Saturday and stayed at Embassy Suites in Orlando by airport. They picked us up and there were many places to shop and eat within walking distance. Had booked VIPLIMO to take us to the dock Sunday morning with an 0900 pickup. Started getting worried at 0905 when no one was there. We've used them before and they were always early! They called and said they were at the port waiting for customers to disembark from Carnival ship. Had been there for over an hour and Carnival wasn't letting anyone off the ship. He was bringing them to the Embassy Suites we were staying at but he'd be late. We were disappointed since our plan was to get there early and start exploring the ship. We talked to the Embassy shuttle driver who offered to help us with travel to the port if needed. He was able to call a company they deal with who was returning from the port and could come get us by 0930. I called Mike from VIPLIMO and explained the situation and he totally understood! So in the end it all worked out great! We were at the Port by 1030 and on board by 1130. We are gold members and the crew was great about letting everyone in our party board with us.

You enter on deck 5, the Promenade and our first time cruisers fully experienced the "WOW" factor. We walked to the other end of the Promenade and then went up to Windjammer for lunch. We didn't feel crowded at all. During lunch there were wait staff wondering around asking if you wanted to make reservations for any of the specialty restaurants. Since we planned to use some of our OBC at Giovanni's we took the opportunity to book it now. He was great about helping us with what night would be best for us based on our other plans. He told us Wednesday's menu in the main dining room was "nothing special" so we booked that night. Later we checked the menus (which are on an electronic board outside the dining rooms) and he was right, that was the best night to go to a specialty restaurant. More on that later.

After lunch the kids rode the Flowrider several times while we waited for our rooms to become available. The rest of us ordered drinks and watched! The zipline was open too but they didn't ride it. Note on waivers needed to participate, we did everything in advance online but you still have to get a wristband and wear it all week. My son was in line to get the band and I handed him my drink while I ran to rest room. When he got to the front of the line they were not allowed to give him the wristband because he had a drink in his hand. He got out of line, gave me the drink and got back in line. When he got back to front the crew member said he'd give him the wristband because he had completed the waiver online otherwise he would have had to wait a little longer due to the crew seeing him with a drink. I'm not complaining, I understand their policy, I'm just letting you know so you don't have a beverage with you when you go to get your wristband!

Rooms opened up at 1PM just like they said which was pretty impressive since they didn't start boarding until around 1115. They told us when we checked in they were delayed because they were giving the ship an extra cleaning due to a number of passengers the previous cruise getting the flu. In case you're wondering, we were all fine for our cruise, no one got sick, I didn't hear about people being sick, we basically didn't worry about it and made sure to used the hand sanitizers when available.

We had two balcony rooms on the 8th floor and my son and his GF had an inside cabin just down the hall. Our rooms were plenty big and we had enough storage for our stuff. I did bring along some wire hangers from home but there were plenty in the closet. I also brought my over the door unit for the bathroom door which came in handy for us. The kids said they had enough room too, only comparison they pointed out was that their bathroom was WAY smaller than ours!

We had early dining at 5:30 in the main dining room. Food was always good, with plenty of choices, no complaints. My husband and our friends husbands had the beverage package and every night the wait staff had their drinks waiting for them. The kids had the beverage package and they always had their soda waiting.

We booked Cats for the first night since it's a full length Broadway show at 2 and a half hours! It was really good. Turns out it was great planning on our part to go the first night. Some of the cast got sick and I believe the show was cancelled the rest of the week. While we're talking about shows, we thought they were all good. Since we had first time cruisers with us we reserved seats at all of them so they good experience them all. As others have said, there seemed to be extra seats at all the shows except the comedy show. That venue is small and you really can't count on just getting in based on no shows.

Thank you so glad you had a wonderful time...I ask everybody this question because I am going on the Oasis in October, did you find your cabin to be warm during the night? Some people say yes a few say no and I just trying to figure out whether there are certain parts of the ship where rooms may be cooler than others, thank you. What were your cabin numbers, I know you were on the 8th deck.

CRUISEGIRL6 we were in cabin 8688 and I did not think the cabin was warm. We usually cranked up the air at night since we like it cold when we sleep. Our friends were right next door in 8686 and one day we came back to the rooms and their room was pretty warm. Turns out that even though their balcony door was shut it was not locked. Therefore their air wouldn't work. Once they moved the handle into "locked" the air came on. We loved our location on the ship. Central Park is on Deck 8 and in the morning we could walk down to Park Cafe (where the great roast beef sandwiches and salads are at lunch) to get coffee, bagels, breakfast sandwiches. It never seemed crowded and even when there was a line it went fast! From our floor we felt we were central to everything, boardwalk, promenade, dining room, pool deck, we would stay on this floor again.

So back to the review. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were our days at sea. Plenty to do around the ship if you need something to occupy your time. We weren't sure what the deck chair situation around the pool would be like but we had no issue getting a chair. We hit the pool deck around 10 am Monday and there were tons of chairs on the deck overlooking the pools (which we prefer because there is always a breeze up there!). But even at that hour there were some seats down next to the pools and even some in the shade down there.

We relaxed on those days at sea, explored the ship some more, hit up trivia, played putt putt and basically just decompressed from our busy work lives!

On Wednesday we were in St Martaan and due to a number of reviews here on cruise critic I booked us with Captain Bob and his snorkel trip. It's an easy walk to the marina where he operates out of and we were there by 0900. Once everyone on our boat arrived we left. It was a terrific day! Numerous stops to snorkel or just enjoy a nice beach and swim. Lunch was awesome. Ribs, chicken or Mahi Mahi with fries and salad served on real plates on gorgeous beach! We did get to see some large aircraft flying in over our heads at the stop by the airport, that's pretty amazing. We really liked the fact that there were only 15 on our boat. You can sit up front in the sun or toward the back in the shade. Lots of water, soda, beer available on the boat and he has noodles if you want some help floating in the water. My first time cruiser was worried about getting back to the boat by the all aboard of 4:30 but we were back to dock a little before 4pm and it was a short walk back to the ship.

This was night for dinner at Giovanni's. To be honest we weren't impressed. Their specialty is a Filet....hmmmmm this is an Italian restaurant, we expected more Italian choices. Needless to say we all got the filet and it was terrific, just not what we expected. We also had their specialty spaghetti which was also awesome, so don't take away that the food wasn't good, it was. There just weren't a lot of pasta choices and we wouldn't do it again.

Thursday was San Juan. We just walked around the city on our own. Was hot that day and we enjoyed lunch off the beaten path, hit the fort and did some shopping. Stopped at Senior Frogs for a drink and snack before getting back on the ship. Lots of great information on these boards about walking around San Juan on your own and that's what we did. Very nice day.

Friday was Labadee the RCCL private island. Got off the ship around 10 and had no issue getting a lounge chair in the sun or the shade. Stared on beach facing the zipline and then walked to the other side later in afternoon and found the beach over there much less rocky. Downside was there was no air over there. Breeze was coming from the other side so it was much hotter over there. They bring a huge lunch spread out to the island, burgers, dogs, chicken, ribs, salads, fruit, desserts and of course drinks!

Saturday was our final day at sea and we relaxed, rode the flowrider and packed. On sunday we walked off on our own and had no issues. Left our room around 0745 and walked right off with our bags. Waited a little while for our prearranged ride to pick us up. I had arranged a 0900 pickup. I didn't know if you walk off on your own you have to do it before 0800. Ride was there on time and we were checking in at the Orlando airport by 10 am for our 1130 flight home to Ohio.

Needless to say, our first time cruisers are hooked. I told them I spoiled them by taking them on this mega ship. We will definitely be on the Oasis class again, we had a wonderful time. The crew was great, the venues and entertainment were awesome, we enjoyed the dining choices. I will also say we did not experience any of the "up selling" or pushiness of sales people that others have mentioned. Going on Grandeur of the Seas Feb 2018 and I'm sure it will seem really tiny compared to the Oasis! No matter, we'll have a great time then too!

Better late than never! Thanks for sharing. Just got off Oasis last Sunday (Western) and getting back on July 9th to do Eastern (although we've done both sides 3 times already).

I'm in the process of booking an excursion with Captain Bob as we speak. Like you, I read so many rave reviews here at CC and at TripAdvisor we couldn't resist even though this was a last minute cruise based on a cheap fare and we weren't actually planning on any excursions. Anything else to share about your experience with him?

Great review, thanks for sharing! We will be on the eastern route you were on in December and also plan on Capt. Bob and the walk around San Juan. Really looking forward to it.

I also struggle with booking a reservation at an Italian restaurant knowing I'll eat steak and that the pasta isn't good. I find that really bizarre.

Was the comedian 18 and over? Any other shows you liked?

Better late than never! Thanks for sharing. Just got off Oasis last Sunday (Western) and getting back on July 9th to do Eastern (although we've done both sides 3 times already).

I'm in the process of booking an excursion with Captain Bob as we speak. Like you, I read so many rave reviews here at CC and at TripAdvisor we couldn't resist even though this was a last minute cruise based on a cheap fare and we weren't actually planning on any excursions. Anything else to share about your experience with him?

I'm jealous you're going back so soon!!! I tried to post pictures of our Capt Bob trip but it wouldn't work. Bring sunscreen and towel and have a great time!

Great review, thanks for sharing! We will be on the eastern route you were on in December and also plan on Capt. Bob and the walk around San Juan. Really looking forward to it.

I also struggle with booking a reservation at an Italian restaurant knowing I'll eat steak and that the pasta isn't good. I find that really bizarre.

Was the comedian 18 and over? Any other shows you liked?

Yes the comedian's were 18 and over but they were really good. They did a PG13 version in the theater on the last night, Saturday, but we didn't go. All the shows were good. Our son and his girlfriend left at intermission during CATS but they're young and since it was our first night on the ship they wanted to go explore! The Aqua show and Ice Skating show both have athletes from prior Olympics and multiple countries, they're very impressive and the shows are only about 45 minutes. The 70's dance party on the promenade was a great time!

I'm jealous you're going back so soon!!! I tried to post pictures of our Capt Bob trip but it wouldn't work. Bring sunscreen and towel and have a great time!

Thanks for trying with the pics! In addition to sunscreen, I plan on wearing a rash guard. My skin only has two colors, pale and red. So not being a big fan of sunburn or skin cancer, I've come to terms with being pale. :) This is partially why I'm not a huge beach guy but since my wife likes a little beach time and snorkeling, this seemed like a great opportunity that had a little of everything for both of us. If I get too hot or bored of snorkeling, I can go back to the shady part of the boat and have a beer/water.

I'm so glad you posted. I booked captain Bob back in Nov for my July 9th trip based on trip advisor reviews. How many snorkeling stops did you make and where? How much time In The water versus driving around? Did you see a lot of great fish etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so glad you posted. I booked captain Bob back in Nov for my July 9th trip based on trip advisor reviews. How many snorkeling stops did you make and where? How much time In The water versus driving around? Did you see a lot of great fish etc?

We'll be with Captain Bob on that cruise too. Just left you a message in our roll call thread.

FWIW, I asked some of those questions via email and here was his response:

"It's really hard to say exactly how much time is spent at each location. It all depends on the conditions. Normally we spend about 40 minutes at each of 2 snorkeling locations. At lunch we spend between 1 and 1.5 hours at the beach and having lunch. The rest of the time we are riding along on the boat seeing sights and swimming plus a stop off the beach at the airport. If conditions are rough, we may not be able to go as fast as when it is calm so the times are subject to change."