Kotor fortress hike

Has anyone hiked all the way to the fortress? My husband and I are thinking of doing this hike. We are pretty active but I'd love to hear from someone who has done it. How long did it take? Was it horribly strenuous? I'd love to know how much time to allow.

Thanks so much!

I have done the hike up to the fort. I'm in my late fifties a bit overweight and in fairly good shape and I didn't have any trouble with it. It took us about an hour but we stopped frequently to take pictures. We were on the Azamara Quest and the captain and hotel director led a group up and celebrated with champain once they got to the top. We left the ship 20 minutes earlier and sure enough we arrived at the top at about the same time. Here is the link to my pictures of Kotor.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e90214e77bf9#cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9%211751

Awwww!!! thank you so much! Seriously. I'm glad to know that this doesn't take all day and that it can be done by someone other than outdoor, sports enthusiasts :) I think this is what we'll do. My mother and I were here last June on a cruise and I knew she would not be able to do this climb, so I was hoping when I return with my husband that we could do it. It does look gorgeous!

• 3 weeks later...

I have Rick Steves Croatia & Slovenia book which I bought used on Amazon. It includes Kotor. There is a good map of the town and where the hike to the fort starts. He also has a very nice walking tour of the town which you can do after the hike. We really took our time hiking to the fort. My DH even climbed through a window on the way down to get to the Illyrian ruins. It was great to have a "no rush day".

Great pics Eileen!

Eileen/Shemp - did you find a map online that you used to find the trail? Any other suggestions of things to see in Kotor after the hike to the fort?

I remember it was back and to the left once you enter the main town enterance

Once on the path it is easy to follow

I know some people told us they were charged 1-2 euro for the hike at the start. We were not, so I am not sure if that was legit or not

Edited by shemp2000

I remember it was back and to the left once you enter the main town enterance

Once on the path it is easy to follow

I know some people told us they were charged 1-2 euro for the hike at the start. We were not, so I am not sure if that was legit or not

The 2 euro charge is legit. Sometimes there isn't anyone there to collect it. There is also an IT outside the front gate of old town where you can get a map and directions to the hike.

Hi all - so I have been doing some reseach on this hike and found the reason for the discrepancy on some people getting charged for the hike and others not...

You'll pay 2 euro May-Oct, otherwise its free.

So it just depends on when you go.

Also, for those that have done this, it sounds like they refer to this hike as "walking the walls" in some places... so do you hike up the hill to the fort and walk the walls around the old town? Just need some clarification on this. I'm trying to picture this in my head.

Thank you.

Hi all - so I have been doing some reseach on this hike and found the reason for the discrepancy on some people getting charged for the hike and others not...

You'll pay 2 euro May-Oct, otherwise its free.

So it just depends on when you go.

Also, for those that have done this, it sounds like they refer to this hike as "walking the walls" in some places... so do you hike up the hill to the fort and walk the walls around the old town? Just need some clarification on this. I'm trying to picture this in my head.

Thank you.

It also depends on what route you take. If "walking the walls", the $2 applies. If you take the old mule track, it's free. You only pay to go up. So if you take the mule track up and the walls down, it's free all the way. The mule track is longer but less steep.

When we went we took the wall up and the mule track down, but our captain (who also hiked up) paid for us and all the other cruisers that went along.

Thanks First Time! So what is the "mule track"? I have never heard this term used. Is this a different path up/down to the fort?

Also, if you pay the 2 euro fee, you can walk the trail up to the fort and also along the tops of the walls around the city....? Am I saying that right?

If walking all the way to the fort is too much you can go just as far as the church (you can't miss it!). The views from there are excellent. It was hot the day we were there in October and my balance is poor on rough terrain so we stopped at the church. It is a bit more than halfway up.

You walk more beside the walls than on them.

Thanks First Time! So what is the "mule track"? I have never heard this term used. Is this a different path up/down to the fort?

Yes, different path. The old mule track is what is know as the "Ladder of Cattaro". It starts by the water pumping station and zig zaps its way up the mountain.

To get to the Ladder of Cattaro, from the city center exit the city via the North Gate (N42.42634 E18.77215), walk across the Škurda Bridge then turn right and walk about 200 meters to the old pumping station (N42.42680 E18.77429). Turn right. Trail starts there. There are no signs, but it should be self evident once you see it.

Part of the way up you'll find a small church in ruins (N42.42245 E18.77587). That's where you leave the mule track, turn right and take a short, flat and narrow trail to join up with the "pay" trail through a rampart window (N42.42335 E18.77492). From there follow the trail up to the top of the fortress (definitely worth it), or down back to the city.

Also, if you pay the 2 euro fee, you can walk the trail up to the fort and also along the tops of the walls around the city....? Am I saying that right?

I believe it's 3 euro now. Yes, you can. Same if you take the mule track and join up with the pay trail at the rampart window, as described above.

Which trail to take? The pay trail is steeper, narrower (walk single file, occasionally two across), with poor footing, shorter, more scenic, and with lots of tourists. The unadvertised free mule trail is less steep, wide (easily 4 or 5 across), better terrain, much longer, less scenic, and with few if any people. The destination at the top is the same. You decide what works for you.

Edited by First Time 2008

Thanks First Time! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Some of the pictures of the old town show wide areas of wall along the water so just wanted see if you could walkl up there and that it's basically the same "access" as the hike.

When we were in Kotor last September my husband climbed to the fort in the morning and I went shopping in the market with the chef from our ship! In the afternoon we did what turned out to be the highlight of the cruise. We went on the Monty B sailing yacht with another couple who were from a different ship. We took a taxi to the next town (advised by Tim and Katie from the Monty B) then they picked us up in a dinghy and we sailed the bay of Kotor for 4 hours. It was magical!! If you google monty b you will find it. It gets rave reviews on trip advisor and we had a fabulous time. Tim and Katie are a young English couple who live on their yacht with their little dogs and are lovely people. You have plenty of time to do both if you go to the fort early.

I found this trail map; First Time 2008's mule track must be the gray squiggle in the upper left.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9!1805&sc=photos

Here a links to descriptions and photos of a walking tour of the Old City and hiking on the city walls.

http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/05/12/strolling-kotor-stari-grad/

http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/05/12/climbing-up-to-kotors-castle-of-san-giovanni/

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in August, and I remember it was quite hot! I'm sure it won't be as bad in October.

We only made it to the church, we were not up to going the whole way. It is fairly steep, and was quite a trek for us just to get to the church.

Bring water, especially if you are going to the top!

• 2 weeks later...

Only you can decide which shoes to wear. I had on regular sneekers but I really don't like combersom hiking shoes. You can see in the picture what the trail is like. There are many trails off this main trail. One goes down to a small very old church. You have to climb through a window in the wall to get to it.

581472_2741453230520_1683123189_1725563_47234960_n.jpg

546117_2741457310622_1683123189_1725575_411591537_n.jpg

578840_2741457030615_1683123189_1725574_1448024415_n.jpg

Edited by Eileen G