Help, Need Small Bag for Evening

Suefranss

This is not my first cruise, and I have a fairly large collection of handbags (it's really a sickness), but I don't seem to have the right one for evening.

We are on Oceania and they don't do formal, but I do like to wear something nice to dinner in the evening. I hope experienced cruisers would agree that a large or even medium handbag is not needed. Really, all I need to carry is my room card, lipstick and perhaps some tissue.

So, does anyone have an idea for a small handbag (picture would be great) that would be suitable for evening? A long strap would be preferable since I don't want to be worried about setting the bag down somewhere and losing it.

Thanks!

Go to one of the dept. stores....the handbag section will have TONS of evening bags! Not all are "formal", with sparkles or glitter....

Something in black will almost always "go" with everything...and it only needs to be big enough for lipstick, comb, tissues, room key...

I KNOW Vegas will have a lot to choose from! Go shopping!

For dressing up, I don't care for how a long strap, or my preference, crossbody, messes up the line of what I'm wearing. So, I caved to peer pressure here on the board, and got a silver Coach wristlet. It will hold what you need PLUS meets my requirement that it carry my small camera, which is larger than most small cameras!

I tend to make sure all my evening wear goes well with silver, and since I don't wear black much at all on a cruise, black would not work for me. That way I take one pair of silver dressy sandals, silver jewelry and a silver bag.

coachwristlet_zps16b07ea5.jpg

I have several Baggallini bags, including a small black one with detachable shoulder strap that I use as an evening bag for dinner on Oceania cruises. (Not fancy, no glitz. No one needs an "evening" bag on Oceania.)

Baggallini bags come in a variety of sizes, colors, and features. Here's a clutch that may be too large for what you want, but has a detachable crossbody strap and a detachable wrist strap:

MCM749_BK_Front_75x75.jpg

More info: http://www.baggallini.com/product/Monaco-Clutch/Baggallini-Shoulder-Bags

Might be some ideas here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1870508&highlight=wristlet

biggest decision is Do you want a wristlet or a crossover/shoulder bag?

I've seen some cute small bags at DSW, Marshalls, Ross and TJMaxx.

I have a 5x8 leather Roots bag that would work well.

This is not my first cruise, and I have a fairly large collection of handbags (it's really a sickness), but I don't seem to have the right one for evening.

We are on Oceania and they don't do formal, but I do like to wear something nice to dinner in the evening. I hope experienced cruisers would agree that a large or even medium handbag is not needed. Really, all I need to carry is my room card, lipstick and perhaps some tissue.

So, does anyone have an idea for a small handbag (picture would be great) that would be suitable for evening? A long strap would be preferable since I don't want to be worried about setting the bag down somewhere and losing it.

Thanks!

I have a whole collection of little bags. They are all fabric of some sort, soft, so no weight in packing, and I got them all from ebay.

As regards to what to do with them, look on ebay for handbag hangers.

you place on the table, and your bag hangs from it. I have 2 that go on every cruise with me.

Ofcourse if you want to spend tons on leather ones up to you, but I try and match the bag to my outfit, so I can take a whole assortment of them

I don't know how much you want to spend but I've found some at Target before. Obviously, department stores will have them as well. Or online searching nets a lot of results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how much you want to spend but I've found some at Target before. Obviously, department stores will have them as well. Or online searching nets a lot of results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on what ship you're cruising on, they may have one of those stores aboard where everything in it costs only $10. Every cruise that has one of these stores...I buy a new evening bag of a different color than ones I already have and same with their faux pashminas. I have them in so many colors!

I like the kind of evening bags where you can either use the chain strap hanging from your shoulder, or tuck the chain into the bag and carry it like a clutch. You'll find plenty of them at TJ Maxx!:D By the way, if you don't want basic black, I would suggest a metal toned one such as silver, bronze, or gold, or a combination of metallic as they are considered neutrals and go with just about anything. If you keep the style of whatever bag you get simple, you'll get more use out of it.

Edited by mousey

I think that what you are looking for is called a crossbody mini. Here are a few examples:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=keywordsearch&keyword=crossbody+mini&contextualcategoryid=60135615

Some of these are pricey but you should be able to find something similar at TJMaxx, Marshalls, or a more moderate dept store like Macy's.

I have a mini black structured leather one that I've been using for the last 20 yrs and it looks just like what they are showing today. It's great for cruises and it's big enough to hold my Sony cybershot, lipstick, and room card.

Edited by royalcruz

Charming Charlie's is a nice place and if you find a purse in one color you can find it in probably 3 others as well . Plus they are reasonably priced too

"someone told me I will one day get sick of cruising ... I just smiled and said only when I'm dead "

How abvout a small Coach clutch or from another designer/manufacturer. I have a few from Coach, Fendi, Gucci I mix up and they are perfect for smart casual nights. I never leave my house, my hotel room or ship's cabin without a purse of one sort or another. :)

I think that what you are looking for is called a crossbody mini. Here are a few examples:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=keywordsearch&keyword=crossbody+mini&contextualcategoryid=60135615

Some of these are pricey but you should be able to find something similar at TJMaxx, Marshalls, or a more moderate dept store like Macy's.

I have a mini black structured leather one that I've been using for the last 20 yrs and it looks just like what they are showing today. It's great for cruises and it's big enough to hold my Sony cybershot, lipstick, and room card.

If you happen to have a Nordstrom's Rack store near you, look there. I've seen some nice purses there.

• 2 weeks later...
I have several Baggallini bags, including a small black one with detachable shoulder strap that I use as an evening bag for dinner on Oceania cruises. (Not fancy, no glitz. No one needs an "evening" bag on Oceania.)

Baggallini bags come in a variety of sizes, colors, and features. Here's a clutch that may be too large for what you want, but has a detachable crossbody strap and a detachable wrist strap:

MCM749_BK_Front_75x75.jpg

More info: http://www.baggallini.com/product/Monaco-Clutch/Baggallini-Shoulder-Bags

Thank you for posting this. I love baggallini bags, and didn't know they had one that was crossbody and could be wristlet. THis is going to be perfect for my upcoming cruise. I wish it were a little more affordable..but I'm going to splurge....

I was looking for something with almost the same requirements you listed. I finally ended up with this cute Kate Spade bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Spade-Flatiron-Nylon-Cammy-Cross-Black/dp/B00AKQDKRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1397185800&sr=1-1&keywords=kate+spade+nylon+crossbody

It's not teensy (which I don't like as I think it looks odd to carry something that's too "mini", especially since I'm on the taller side), but it doesn't look big by any means.

Generally a selection at Ross and TJ Maxx, which should be affordable but sometimes also good brands. Second the fabric. I usually carry black or silver or (not on cruises but if going out) multicolored bags from either the 1920s or Victorian era. Usually brings comments as to uniqueness. You might check local antique stores, even.

I bought this one from JC Penney. Check out their website if you don't have a store near you. This link should take you to the crossbody purses. They have a ton of options! The one I got is a Rosetti purse. It's not real leather but it'll be fine for what I'm going to use it for.

http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/DP0324201418155060C.tif?op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.333333333333333&id=1W_5BDn0qy-7BHnF2L-nQi

DP0324201418155060C.tif?op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.333333333333333&id=1W_5BDn0qy-7BHnF2L-nQi

Guest maddycat
Thank you for posting this. I love baggallini bags, and didn't know they had one that was crossbody and could be wristlet. THis is going to be perfect for my upcoming cruise. I wish it were a little more affordable..but I'm going to splurge....

I saw small Bagallini crossbody bags at TJMax yesterday.

I saw small Bagallini crossbody bags at TJMax yesterday.

That's good to know! I typically don't go to TJ Maxx (because it's stressful) but I'll keep it in mind.

I ended up getting this Baggalini one for $15.97 free shipping on amazon

Baggalini Essential Wallet

51yIJtM4tDL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg