Maxi Skirts

AmandaBlue

I am seriously in love with maxi skirts! I have three that I have bought for my upcoming cruise and I am looking at 2 more. I bought a teal one for $4 - it was on clearance because it had a small stain. The stain was so easy to remove, too!

Here are the other two that I have bought.

http://www.jcpenney.com/skirts/byby-chevron-print-illusion-maxi-skirt/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003500448&Nao=24&pN=2&searchTerm=maxi+skirt&catId=SearchResults&colorizedImg=DP1024201317082909M.tif

http://www.jcpenney.com/decree-side-slit-maxi-skirt/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003700040&pageSize=96&searchTerm=maxi+skirt&catId=SearchResults&colorizedImg=DP0117201417034810M.tif

I love them, too! I'm not comfortable in short skirts, and maxi's are just so easy, versatile and comfy :)

I just bought this one for my cruise next week, and I'm kind of obsessed with it: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1009142&vid=1&pid=373447082

I love it because you can wear it as a dress, or just fold the top down and wear it as a skirt! I'm planning on using it as a bathing suit cover up, too. :D

I would love them more if they weren't all so long...haha

Being 5'2", I don't want to have to hem everything, so right now, I'm into patterned leggings.

A great place to find inexpensive maxi dresses and maxi skirts is Zulily. It is my go to place daily. A couple of days ago, they had a whole nautical section.

I am also 5'2. I am able to roll the top to make them a bit shorter! Being short isn't very fun where you're shopping for bottoms!

Ladies,

I love your skirts!:D I'm a little on the short side too...I'm 5'4"...okay, so I'm really 5'3 3/4"...well maybe I'm really 5'3 1/2"! LOL! I think I'm shrinking as I'm getting older...the bones are settling down or something!:eek:

Amanda Blue,

You are so right, it's a total bummer shopping for bottoms when you're vertically challenged...LOL!;)

5'11" girl here ... Believe me a maxi skirt shouldn't come above your ankles haha ... Grant it our heights are different but it's tough to find bottoms short/ or long enough when you aren't 5'7" ( that's the average height I think ???)

"someone told me I will one day get sick of cruising ... I just smiled and said only when I'm dead "

Me too! I wore several last year on my 2 cruises. I am just over 5'3 and I actually seem to find a lot that fit me length-wise. I love wedges so usually the length is not an issue.

I found some at Target and a local boutique here. Thanks to the above poster who posted the Old Navy link. I haven't been to an ON in a while, need to go now!

I love maxi skirts too but I never quite know what to pair with them. Most pictures show a tank top, but I don't like to go sleeveless. Any ideas?

Hi Kim:)....you could wear a top with capped sleeves.....or short

sleeves or 3/4 sleeves;)......not everyone wears tank tops, that

is for sure:D

If you already have the skirt? Take it with you while you look for a top.

Sometimes that is the best way to find the right piece.:)

Thanks for the ideas - I just found my income tax refund lurking in my pending deposits and I think I"ll buy a couple. I'm a heavy size 14 - slowly, oh so slowly coming down - so horizontal stripes are out! hopefully I can find some that look nice - and/or maxi dresses.

i may get tanks and a couple of shrugs. If it clears before Saturday - you can find me at Belk and TJ Maxx

Lara - did you find those from nomorerack to be decent fabric?

I bought palazzo pants from groupon [similar descriptions on nomorerack] and the color bled all over me. I loved the feel of the fabric but it was so sheer you could read thru it - so they were great to wear around the house. In public - not so much!

So I've been holding off buying from nomore until I heard some reviews of whether they bled color. Thanks!

They didn't bleed at all. However, the maxi-fabric "pilled" after 2 washes. But for $12 each, they were perfect for a travel day and an excursion day. I have admittedly worn them twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by LaraTiara

I've found a black Jersey maxi dress I love. I've found four tank tops I wear over the top and turn it into a maxi skirt with different tops, then wear basic black with a sparkly jacket for elegant night.

My problem is that the ship is usually so cold. A hoodie is too casual but in the spring, a Black sweater looks too heavy. What would you suggest?

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

My problem is that the ship is usually so cold. A hoodie is too casual but in the spring, a Black sweater looks too heavy. What would you suggest?

Do you mean for evening when you wear it as just the dress? Why not a dressier and lighter cardigan? Or a shawl. I wear cardigans at least 3-4 times a week, since I never know what the temps are going to be and they can vary up to 40 degrees between outside and inside (a/c, heat, spring:p) So I have cashmere, merino, cotton, silk, & linen, at all different weights & lengths. Some of the more fitted silk options are dressy enough for dinner (not necessarily a formal night dinner, but a nice dinner) There are some more open weave options that are very summery....(I have one from Chicos I bought at a thrift store - because of its trapeze shape I would only wear it with a narrow bottom, but I've seen lots of other options in open weaves....)

And shawls/"pashminas" are cheap & easy to find all over the place....

(but then, I wear black sweaters all year round ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I've found a black Jersey maxi dress I love. I've found four tank tops I wear over the top and turn it into a maxi skirt with different tops, then wear basic black with a sparkly jacket for elegant night.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

I have a convertible Maxi dress/skirt that I really like as well. I sometimes wear a denim jacket and scarf with mine on casual weekends. For dressier occasions, how about a statement necklace, strappy heels and a nice wrap?

My problem is that the ship is usually so cold. A hoodie is too casual but in the spring, a Black sweater looks too heavy. What would you suggest?URL]

Another option could be this jacket. I found it on Etsy, searching maxi dress jacket.

Pinterest has cruise packing ideas, so you may find a combination there. I have done that. And, I have college age girls whom I ask to reenact "What Not To Wear" episodes with my fashion choices, just in case ;)ImageUploadedByForums1396495645.139965.jpg.b77a306c7874660cbe82d0ad3fba57e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by LaraTiara

My problem is using what I have. I hate shopping for just one item for a cruise

Well, you have 2 options then. Try on all the tops you have - even things you might not have thought of, like a button down shirt- and see if you like anything. Or go shopping.

Or - 3rd option - don't wear that dress. Or be cold. Ooh, 4 options:p

Or - what about seeing if any of your friends have something you could borrow for the trip?

Start thinking outside the box.....

Lots of cute maxi skirts on Zulily today. I think I may pick up a couple. Most are $16.99. I like AmandBlue's idea of rolling them up

It does take about a month to get items, because sellers ship to Zulily first, and then Zulily ships out.

Debbie

Edited by crzndeb