Deposit loss

Hi.

My wife and I have enjoyed two great cruises recently with Thomsons and my son and his wife caught the bug and booked a 7 day med cruise with Royal Caribbean for 2015. It was booked at a Thomson agency cruise day at the weekend.

Unfortunately they afterwards realised that the total cost for them and their 2 young children was pretty expensive at over £4,500.

They spoke to Thomsons asap about cancelling or changing to a cheaper non-cruise holiday but were told it wasn't up to them as their cruise was with RC and they would lose the £650 deposit. (Seems a lot for 2 adults and a 6 and 2 year old).

Could anyone please advise what they can do. I've read the RC T & C's but it just says deposit lost. Other cruise companies appear less stringent. Thanks for any advice that you can provide.

They weren't made aware of the total cost BEFORE they put down their deposit?

Yeah I'm confused. In any case if they booked a cruise for 2015 they shouldn't be past final payment date right? Why would they lose their deposit?

Yeah I'm confused. In any case if they booked a cruise for 2015 they shouldn't be past final payment date right? Why would they lose their deposit?

The OP is in the UK, and booking rules are different there.

You would think the OP citing their cost in pounds would have been a significant hint...wouldn't you?

Yes I know that indicates the OP is in the UK, Mr. Snarkypants. But sadly I was not aware of booking and cancellation rules across the globe, which led to the my confusion. Luckily you were here to put me in my place.

Oops my bad. That's harsh. Travel insurance would seem like a must for our friends across the pond. :(

Sadly insurance wouldnt cover just a change of mind in the UK....so it is lost money unfortunately. :(

Although I cant work out why it was that much money - unless the T/A require a deposit over and above the normal deposit for RCI in the UK.

Thats why we are now going to book through a US T/A. As we always book at least 12 months ahead, anything can happen and so its nice to know we wont loose our deposit if unforeseen circs occur. :)

Feel bad for the OP's son.

Sadly insurance wouldnt cover just a change of mind in the UK....so it is lost money unfortunately. :(

Although I cant work out why it was that much money - unless the T/A require a deposit over and above the normal deposit for RCI in the UK.

Thats why we are now going to book through a US T/A. As we always book at least 12 months ahead, anything can happen and so its nice to know we wont loose our deposit if unforeseen circs occur. :)

You can't get "Cancel for any reason" coverage there? It's available here in the US, though it costs more than the normal travel insurance.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious: Is this no refund policy just the cruise line policy, or is it due to laws in the UK? It seems very consumer un-friendly :(

You can't get "Cancel for any reason" coverage there? It's available here in the US, though it costs more than the normal travel insurance.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious: Is this no refund policy just the cruise line policy, or is it due to laws in the UK? It seems very consumer un-friendly :(

No cancel for any reason in the UK

:(

650 pounds works out to about $1,000 US. The normal deposit for a 7-night cruise is $250/pp (adults - not sure whether it is lower for 3rd and 4th passenger or kids), and they have four people on the booking. So the number seems right.

650 pounds works out to about $1,000 US. The normal deposit for a 7-night cruise is $250/pp (adults - not sure whether it is lower for 3rd and 4th passenger or kids), and they have four people on the booking. So the number seems right.

It's the same for 3rd and 4th even if they're kids

The non refundable deposit is RCI's policy.

There are NO consumer laws that prevent refunding of deposits, however the Consumer Protection Act provides that a supplier is permitted to ask for a deposit when an advance booking is made, and charge a cancellation fee when the booking is cancelled. So RCI use the deposit as the cancellation fee.

Now what really hurts is when wanting to take advantage of a price drop or additional perks on your booked cruise like free drinks, gratuities and OBC. It is treated as a cancellation and rebooking, so the cancellation fee is payable. Royal's Rules!

If I was cancelling then I must accept that I forfeit the deposit (cancel fee) but the above scenario is a change to the booking and not really a cancelation.

Edited by icsys

Jeannie, did you and graham happen to do a TA where you met Maureen and Tom n the Diamond lounge

The normal deposit in the UK is £300pp so. Guess the £50 was for the kids. We also pay more for our cruises. I saved £3000 by booking through a US travel agent on a 14 night cruise for 4 of us for next July. I also saved £600 on our upcoming Quantum cruise from Southampton next

month. The price difference and terms are so different that I just won't book in the UK any more.

Emma

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi folks

Thanks for your many replies.

Yes we are in they UK and it is interesting from what you are saying is that booking through a US travel agent looks a better bet.

We will check this out asap.

Also my son managed to change his booking with RCI from a 7 night to a 3 night cruise so not losing his deposit and only paying an amendment fee. It's a great taster cruise and as his children will only be 6 and 2 next year he's happy with the result as they can drive down to Southampton instead of struggling with airports, transfer coaches etc.

Once again many thanks for your help

Now my wife and I are on the cruise search again!

The normal deposit in the UK is £300pp so. Guess the £50 was for the kids. We also pay more for our cruises. I saved £3000 by booking through a US travel agent on a 14 night cruise for 4 of us for next July. I also saved £600 on our upcoming Quantum cruise from Southampton next

month. The price difference and terms are so different that I just won't book in the UK any more.

Emma

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi folks

Thanks for your many replies.

Yes we are in they UK and it is interesting from what you are saying is that booking through a US travel agent looks a better bet.

We will check this out asap.

Also my son managed to change his booking with RCI from a 7 night to a 3 night cruise so not losing his deposit and only paying an amendment fee. It's a great taster cruise and as his children will only be 6 and 2 next year he's happy with the result as they can drive down to Southampton instead of struggling with airports, transfer coaches etc.

Once again many thanks for your help

Now my wife and I are on the cruise search again!

The normal deposit in the UK is £150pp.

If you book in the USA you are not protected by ATOL or ABTA. I e my friends were delayed in San Juan for 3 nights they got all monies back from Royal because under the Atoll and Abta packages holiday agreement you are Royals responsibility from departure airport to being returned to the departure airport.

Whilst it is true that if you book in the USA you are not protected by ATOL or ABTA, what is covered and how they actually cover you is not always clear.

ATOL - covers flights and air holidays if you book flights through a licensed agent in the UK. If you book scheduled flights direct with the airline there is no protection - use a credit card to pay for additional financial protection.

ABTA - a UK travel trade association for tour operators and agents which provides cover for if your travel company fails and your holiday can no longer go ahead. You will be entitled to a refund if you are yet to travel and hotel costs and transport home if you are abroad.

Accommodation-only bookings: These are not legally required to be protected. However some travel providers, including many ABTA Members (and RCI UK), choose to protect these through ABTA.

So yes you do get automatic ATOL and ABTA protection if you book a package through a UK agent that is an ABTA Member.

We have used a US agent several times for 'cruise only' and will have no hesitation to use again if the price is right.

We always fly out at least a day early to ensure we get to the ship.

It is your choice how you choose to book

Consider adequate travel insurance to cover for delays/cancellations and medical assistance and payment with a credit card for added financial protection if your holiday company goes out of business. You should be able to claim your money back. (Up to a maximum of 30,000)

Full details About ATOL and ABTA

Don't they have "Cancel for ANY Reason" coverage?