Grand Cayman Stingray Adventure

fitsea

SO and I were thinking about a visit to Stingray City in Georgetown. Any experience with RCI excursion vs other operators? Any suggestions? Any warnings? All advice welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked thru RCI.

Had a great tour.

But, when it came time to go back to the ship or continue on to 7 mile beach what-ever you booked, we had to wait and wait for the buses.

You see, they (the bus) of course do no wait for you, the excurion is a couple hours long. When it was done the guides called for the buses, and when they arrived, there were not enough seats for everyone.

We heard some people waited over 45 min to get a ride back.

I would definetely go with a private vendor.

Stingray city is a definete experience, but, find the right tour group.

Sea Ya

My DH and DD booked Cayman Adventure Tours (Capt Chris) through RCCL. They both said that was the highlight of our last cruise and would ABSOLUTELY book the same excursion again. The $49 price pp was worth it.

The only thing they said was that RCCL did not tell them to take cash with them if you wanted to tip or purchase photos. They BOTH said they wish they had taken cash to tip the Captain, because he was WONDERFUL!

Stingray city used to be a great place, but it is not what it used to be.

With all the ships, there are hundreds & hundreds of people out there almost everyday.

It has become much to crowded.

The stingrays have become so spoiled and lazy that the interaction with them is quite minimal.

I wouldn't recommend this excursion any more...

We used Captain Morgan. Had only one problem: our ship stayed on "ship time" (not island time). We barely made the last tender - rode back with the crew and LOTS of run cakes, etc!

Wait, a ship leaving from the east coast can have a different time than an island in EST? Does DST play a factor?

We went with Ryan from Fat Fish Adventures. We only had 8 people in our group, all on jetskis. We stayed away from the huge crowds, got to play with lots of Stingrays, snorkeled at a great reef, and thoroughly enjoyed the entire day. I can't think of one single thing that could have been better. Check them out on Trip Advisor.

My family of 4 used Moby Dick's tour this past November. Our DD's are in their mid 20's, and we had done Stingray City 12 yrs ago when we stayed on Grand Cayman (they wanted to go again). They were extremely helpful, especially with my husband who has mobility issues! Would use Moby Dick Tours again!!!:D

Stingray Sailings with Captain Chip gets our vote. Great company...personal service...they know their stuff! I can't swim and we had high and wavy water the day we went out. Chip made sure he had his eye on me the entire day, and helped me get back into the boat without killing myself. He's a true gentleman.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I have another vote for Moby Dick Tours.

They give an informative lecture on stingrays while on the way to the sandbar, and have a stuffed one (toy, not real! :eek:) for demonstration.

Did you know the majority of the rays are female?

They even have pet names for the stingrays. One is named "Pizza".....you will see why.......;)

They will hold the rays and get you to hold and interact with them as well.

They don't hawk photographs, either. :)

Another plug for Moby Dick. We had ages from 5-68 and they were wonderful. They gave us instructions on how to interact with the rays beforehand and were great for the snorkeling part of the trip. The excursion had a lot less than the ships excursion as well. Also liked that they didn't have add one for sale (pictures, tshirts, knock knacks, etc.)

We did the sting ray snorkel and I highly recommend it. Through the ship. The snorkel was not far from Sting ray city and very beautiful. One of the best snorkels I have done. we do snorkel a good bit.