Coki beach or Trunk bay?

kimgoose

Which one is better? We want to go to the beach and snorkel. Coki beach looks good, but a lot of fees (chairs, taxi, entry fee and snorkeling) we also heard Trunk bay is beautiful. It's seems farther away, but also has snorkeling. We want to have an easy and relaxing day. He'll us decide!!!

Which one is better? We want to go to the beach and snorkel. Coki beach looks good, but a lot of fees (chairs, taxi, entry fee and snorkeling) we also heard Trunk bay is beautiful. It's seems farther away, but also has snorkeling. We want to have an easy and relaxing day. He'll us decide!!!

For snorkeling off the beach you'll be much happier with Coki as long as you don't mind the crowds. No entry fee, just the amenities you want to rent and $18 - $20pp taxi round trip. If you want less people with good snorkeling look at Sapphire.

Trunk is another 1.5 - 2 hrs travel and ~$30pp.

Trunk Bay is better. Much better. It will cost a bit more and take more time. You can't compare the experience. Trunk Bay!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Trunk (and Cinnamon Bay) are both gorgeous, but for good snorkeling on STJ we would avoid Trunk and look further out. But you'd be spending much more time traveling to Waterlemon (or Maho which is closer) and you'd need a taxi to return for you I believe. But the beaches on the north shore of STJ are indeed beautiful and are a nice day trip when staying on STT.

For "an easy and relaxing day" one of the East End beaches of STT including Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor are ideal choices. Coki and Sapphire are beautiful beaches and as noted you'll enjoy Coki if you don't mind a busier vibe. If in port awhile you could even taxi from Coki to Sapphire as Coki fills up, the fare can't be more than $5pp...

• 2 weeks later...

Trunk is a nice beach but IMHO it is one of the least desirable beaches on STJ

I think if there were a way to research it you would find that Trunk, which is touted in tourist reviews, is probably the only STJ beach most have been to

A visit to STJ is something I always recommend but not for people in port one day. It just takes to much time. Save that visit until you come and stay on the island

Trunk is a nice beach but IMHO it is one of the least desirable beaches on STJ

I think if there were a way to research it you would find that Trunk, which is touted in tourist reviews, is probably the only STJ beach most have been to

A visit to STJ is something I always recommend but not for people in port one day. It just takes to much time. Save that visit until you come and stay on the island

Agree Bill, and especially for these folks who want to snorkel.

I need advise. I'll be in St. Thomas on June 21st from 9 am to 5 pm. I want to go to trunk bay for the day. Will I have enough time ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are 2 ships in port that day, the OAS is in Crown Bay, and the NCL Escape is docked at Havensight. You would have time from either port, although Havensight is a shorter taxi to the Red Hook ferry terminal.

From Havensight you definitely want to do this on your own. Just hop a taxi going to Red Hook (20 min) and take the ferry to Cruz Bay, St John (15 min) and you’ll find taxis waiting to transport you to Trunk or Cinnamon Bay (Cinnamon is typically less crowded). Taxis will also stop to pick you up for the return to the ferry dock. The total cost is about $48pp (roundtrip taxi to ferry = $20, roundtrip ferry = $14, roundtrip taxi on STJ = $14). You can also opt to take an island tour on STJ and then get dropped at trunk for a little beach time, the total cost with that option is about $66pp.

From Crown Bay you can still go on your own, or you can take the ship excursion. That involves a 45 min ferry from near the port.

Going on your own you usually have more time there and it’s less expensive but you have both options. If you go on your own you should be able to make the 10AM RH ferry, and would suggest taking the 3PM ferry back from St John so you have plenty of time to get back to your ship. That would give you about 4 hrs to enjoy Trunk or see the island. The ferries depart both Red Hook and Cruz Bay on the hour…

Thank you Blue water. One last question. Does Cruz Bay have places to shop and have lunch at? Or is it just a shipping port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, Cruz Bay has several nice little shops and many spots to enjoy a great lunch and drinks. We much prefer Cruz Bay for shopping over Charlotte Amalie and Havensight and Crown Bay. St John Bracelets in Cruz Bay has some very nice Hook bracelets, you can check their site if you are interested. They will also custom make one for you if you stop there before you head to the beach. Or you can order online and pick it up when you are there! Great workmanship and quality.

But yes, would recommend saving some time to spend in Cruz for lunch and shopping. Mongoose Junction is on one end of the bay with nice shops and a restaurant/bar, and you'll see the Beach Bar on the other end with shops there.

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...
Below my post, you'll see my signature line. Click on the Coki or Sapphire and it will take you to that review and the pictures are within the review. :)

Figured it out....can't see the signature with the app. I had to go on the website!

• 2 weeks later...