48 hours mystery

Tonight on CBS the show will spotlight the case of George Smith who vanished from the Brilliance of the Seas in 2005 while on his honeymoon in the Mediterranean. It is on at 10PM eastern time..

I just updated the Royal Caribbean Fights back thread about this. Saw a preview of the show on Greta last night. Looks like it will be showing a new video (never before seen) and may well have some new information. Anyway, it should be a good one.

I think the video might be old. It sounds like the hidden camera video the young man's Mom made while he was being interviewed by the Turkish police. They had it on another TV news program last year.

We'll see.

I think the video might be old. It sounds like the hidden camera video the young man's Mom made while he was being interviewed by the Turkish police. They had it on another TV news program last year.

We'll see.

No it is not that video. It shows the 4 russians being interviewed prior to going to the Turkish police, if I recall correctly.

as they are from Brooklyn NY. 3 brothers 21, 18, 14 the 4th kids was from CA & he is the one that had daddy record his weird interview by Turkish police agent with his wife & crying toddler. (Very professional)

Amazing 10 months & no FBI info. Maybe there isn't anything as George is in Italy living well.

No it is not that video. It shows the 4 russians being interviewed prior to going to the Turkish police, if I recall correctly.

MACOP, I find your posts very interesting on this subject, and I want to thank you for keeping track of things for the rest of us. It's so easy for us to just receive our instant emails when you update the thread.

I do have one request of you, however. Could you eliminate the sarcastic jokes about George living well in Italy, etc., etc., please?

I am the mother of 29 and 24 year-old sons, and it hurts ME (for the family; no matter how mercenary they may seem) to read these kinds of remarks. It's too close to home, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for understanding (I hope).:)

Well, after seeing the entire 48 hrs tonite one thing seems clear to me- I really don't think we will ever know what truly happened that nite between the hours of 4 and 4:30am. I think it is most unfortunate for both the Smith family and Royal Caribbean. At the end it tells us that the family has filed a wrongful death suit against the cruise line- this I am sorry I just don't agree with. This was not the fault of the cruise line- although I would like to hear more information from this Llyod a crew member who apparently walked with her back from the disco. It is just so sad a story and my heart really does go out to the family....but like I said we will never know what truly happened. :(

All the witnesses were drunk, and were drinking their own "smuggled" liquor. Their recollection of what happened therefore has to be questioned. Given that they apparently were drinking their own liquor, not being served, it would seem hard to find fault with RC on this one.

Well shoot, we will have to wait until 10 PM West Coast. It is very tragic, but morbidly fascinating and very sad for everyone involved. I don't think they will ever know what happened. These "lost at sea" things rarely seem to be resolved. :)

Why are people on the show making such a big deal about whether the Turkish officials actually interrogated anyone on the ship or not? I think I agree with RCCL that the conversation in the middle of the Centrum where the boys are all sitting around rather casually talking to the Turkish official would not amount to an interrogation....a very casual discussion maybe...but certainly not an interrogation. Why are they making such a big deal about this? Also, didn't it look like the blood had spread out due to the movement of the ship....based on the way the pattern is in the middle....anybody agree?

I watched the 48 Hours Mystery program tonight and I really didn't get much of anything new from it that wasn't on these boards months ago. I agree that they may never know what really happened. I also agree that filing a wrongful death suit against the cruise line just doesn't seem right, but I do feel for the Smith family and can't imagine what they are going through. I did wonder one thing: if someone murdered George Smith, wouldn't you think there would have been a lot more noise heard by the passengers on both sides of the Smith cabin? Just my thought on the whole deal.

Just watched it.I had forgotten several points that were brought up,and there were a few I had not heard..

My gut feeling is that he probably fell overboard.I think the explanation of him sitting on the railing,with his feet in the chair smoking the cigar makes most sense.I think he was kinda waiting for his wife,maybe even hiding on the balcony from her,as they do mention the door was shut,and curtains were pulled to.I think he lay there injured a few moments,thats why there is so much blood.If he would have just fallen,and rolled off,there would not have been that much blood,and thats why the hand print in the blood.He may have tried to get up,after a few moments,thats when he fell off..

Although other things were brought up that were interesting.Although I seem to believe Josh.I found his response at the police station weird.I found his comments.."I wont let her go to jail..she had nothing to do with this...she knew nothing about this." A little troubling.Also,the information tonight that she was found only a few doors down from Josh's room.

But then you have Josh insisting,and no one listening,to the fact that there was a lot of info missing from the report.

I think there are a lot of could have beens,and there is certainly a lot of unknowns..But ultimately,it does not seem to me that anyone had enough reason to kill him..Thats why I lean toward the cigar theory.

I think the Lloyd guy seems suspicious,especially since she was found also,not far from the crew area door.But RCI seems pretty adamant about the fact that that was not him who left with her,and they have proof.

I find it interesting that there were no more entries to the room by the key pass other than that 4 am one..Which sorta proves Jen did not go back to the room...

I remember something in another report about George having a lot of cash with him...which may explain all the rummaging about in the cabinets..

But if he was killed in the room,why not any more blood in the room,and so much on the area below ,why is the balcony undisturbed except for the chair up against the balcony..

It is really a mystery...I don't think Jen did it...Maybe someone who wanted her...Did it for her...

The only strange thing I find that she did was going to the Spa early,that leads me to believe she knew he would not be there..

There are just to many what ifs...Thats why I really believe it was an accident..

One thing I do know...If everyone who watches this,does not want to go out and book a cruise on an RCI ship I will be surprised.The Brilliance is a beauty,and RCI's ship are really hands down the most beautiful around.

They said they filmed it on a sister ship, so I assume it was the Radiance.

Josh was so upset during his interview at the Turkish police station because he KNEW Jennifer was not in the room. He even said on the tape that she was with another man.

I think George was by himself after the 4 men left. Only three were seen walking down the hallway, because one of them was in front of the others. Four would not fit across the hallway.

George cut himself in the cabin and used the towel to soak up the blood. The investigator said it was a small amount of blood on a towel, the bed and the floor.

I think he slipped through the curtains, opened the door, went out on the balcony, pulled the chair up to the railing, and sat backward to smoke his cigar (which he had done before on the cruise).

Then the ship pitched, he went over backwards, got badly cut on the fall, tried to push himself up, and then slid overboard. The puddle of blood in the middle of the blood stain is where he lay for awhile, probably stunned or temporarily unconscious, and then slipped overboard.

It was an accident.

Jennifer was supposedly helped down to her deck by another bar staffer, not Lloyd. His room key shows he was in his cabin by the time she left.

I agree with the above poster: these people were very drunk, in a dark place, and might not have been able to piece it all together right.

Sad situation, and his family just won't accept the accident theory.

Hey Cat! We're fine, but very wet. Almost 30 days of rain, we actually saw the sun today. We have 11 +3 days booked on Serenade/Hawaii this October. We want to do a 10 day Southern out of San Juan next year, if not we may look at something out of Texas! :D

TrueBlueTory, I was curious about that too, since they said they filmed interiors on a sister ship of Brilliance. The ship shots were gorgeous, it does make you want to go on a cruise!

I thought they did a good job with the whole thing. It is a mystery. I think the blood in the cabin and on the towel is a weird twist. Why was someone bleeding inside the cabin? None of the young people involved or interviewed seem like the type of people that would be involved in foul play. Although the sex video and ejection from the ship is a little odd.

We talked about it, and one thing I find interesting...the Smiths were on deck 9, the photos of the lifeboat canopy were taken by someone on deck 8? and those canopies are right outside the balconies on deck 7, and no one heard the loud thump right outside their deck 7 room?

It was interesting and well done. I really don't see how the cruise line is at fault.

-Patti:)

Me neither. The lawsuit is bogus.

Yawn....hi, Patti. We left coasters just finished seeing 48 Hours, huh?

I thought your rain had stopped. We finally got 2 days of dry weather down here, and even some sun!!

Night.

I also think the accident theory is quite possible. My thing is why RCCL won't show the tape of whoever led her out of disco. RCCL should be giving all the information they can to help. It's that whole thing of if you have nothing to HIDE!!!! We love RCCL just want to see them be a little more helpful to help clear their name out of the mix. All of it is very interesting and sad. A lot more went on here than we will ever know.

Archived