Coral; first time on this ship.

COUNTRYCOWGIRL

Have not cruised on princess for a few years. Sailing on their Nov, 11 cruise to Panama Canal. Checking off my bucket list. New to Coral Princess, have heard good and bad. I'm sure I will like the smaller ship size. Anything else advice wise would be appreciated. We are Platinum level at this point, so any perks out there, new to this level. Also, years ago we would get an email from the Captain I believe telling us about himself and about the entertainment on board for our cruise. Do they still do that? Thank you again in advance.

Forward viewing decks thru the 'secret doors' on the upper decks. Might be good for approaching and going thru the canals.

When we were onboard, some time ago, the MDR was excellent!

The buffet, poor.

The entertainment was very good when we sailed, but might be completely different now.

Their Int'l cafe is limited.

We did get Pizza for lunch when Sabatini's is open like an Alfredo's.

That was very good. Better than the Pizzaria counter.

Excellent steak at Bayou Grill, but not impressed with any of the other foods.

No real entertainment there.

They really need to up their game there, or re-open it as a proper steak-house. Which is lacking on the Coral.

Enjoy!!!!

Going thru the locks is so exciting. Last year we were on the Island. We are bringing our Texas flag this time to hang off the balcony. There will be an area with poster board & supplis where you can make a banner. The ship's photo group will be taking our pictures.

Both Baja and Caribe decks have fore and aft viewing areas. Just go all the way to the end of the passage and then through the solid doors. Excellent areas for viewing and the person doing the onboard ship narration will be on one of the forward viewing decks - probably Caribe.

Love Coral. Would be happy to sail on her any time.

Forward viewing decks thru the 'secret doors' on the upper decks. Might be good for approaching and going thru the canals.

When we were onboard, some time ago, the MDR was excellent!

The buffet, poor.

The entertainment was very good when we sailed, but might be completely different now.

Their Int'l cafe is limited.

We did get Pizza for lunch when Sabatini's is open like an Alfredo's.

That was very good. Better than the Pizzaria counter.

Excellent steak at Bayou Grill, but not impressed with any of the other foods.

No real entertainment there.

They really need to up their game there, or re-open it as a proper steak-house. Which is lacking on the Coral.

Enjoy!!!!

I have read about that "secret door" before but I am puzzled. Where and what is it> We have already done the Panama Canal on the Island and just got up early and went upper decks to the front of the ship. This time we will be on the Coral in Feb. Appreciate any secret door advice. Thanks

Catherine Claus

Congrats on reaching Platinum! The biggest perks are the preferred boarding line and the Internet minutes :D Number of minutes depends on the length of your sailing, check the Princess website for more information (or someone here can provide a link...).

There's always good and bad reviews of any ship and sailing, I'm looking forward to trying the Coral next May.

Make sure to watch the show called "On the Bayou". It should be performed at least twice in the Universe Lounge. It's a really good show and I think it's only performed on the Coral and Island.

I hope "On the Bayou" is performed on our sailing. We have seen it 3 times. One of the performances that never gets old. Coral unlike the Island still has a Universal Lounge.

Edited by robthens

I have read about that "secret door" before but I am puzzled. Where and what is it> We have already done the Panama Canal on the Island and just got up early and went upper decks to the front of the ship. This time we will be on the Coral in Feb. Appreciate any secret door advice. Thanks

Catherine Claus

Island lost its "secret door" when the additional cabins were added on the aft. Last year we were on the Island in one of the new aft wrap around balcony cabins. Loved it !!!

photo-e.jpg

Both Baja and Caribe decks have fore and aft viewing areas. Just go all the way to the end of the passage and then through the solid doors. Excellent areas for viewing and the person doing the onboard ship narration will be on one of the forward viewing decks - probably Caribe.

Love Coral. Would be happy to sail on her any time.

As well as Emerald/Dolphin decks aft.

Catherine Claus

Just go forward on Baja or Caribe deck, pass through the double doors at the end of the corridor and you'll be outside overlooking the bow.

Have not cruised on princess for a few years. Sailing on their Nov, 11 cruise to Panama Canal... Also, Years ago we would get an email from the Captain.

COUNTRYCOWGIRL,

We are on your cruise. We received an email from the Captain, named Andrea Poggi. There was no biographical info with the email, just the usual sales hype.

We have a VERY slow and inactive role call over at https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/coral-princess-november-11-2017/

Please join us and I might explain why the Coral is our most favorite ship.

Gary

Congratulations on the Coral - our favorite as well! Other cool things she has that we love - Wheelhouse Bar is nice/large and centrally located, the promenade deck is deep/well shaded and encircles the ship so it's great for walks. It also a dedicated card/game room on the Emerald deck just opposite the library. Horizon Court buffet is located at the bow of the ship so you see where you're sailing, rather than where you've been (terrific for Alaska cruises). Hope you enjoy your cruise!