Cabin selection

xrayjng

Hi. New to Princess. I'm online trying to book an up coming cruise. I wanted an inside guarantee. When I get to the choice pick cabin or choose one for me, when I pick choose one for me. It gives me a cabin assignment already. Is that how it works? Is there a chance for an upgrade? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

Are you past final payment....that could be why it is selecting the room

And there is always a chance of a visit from the up grade fairy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

An inside guarantee can be iffy IMHO. You might get an inside that sleeps 4. If that is the case, the upper beds are folded against the wall and if you put your bed in a queen configuration THEY ARE IN THE WAY BIG TIME.

Choose pick it yourself and you then pick an area of the ship (fore, mid , aft etc) and once that is done you pick the deck. Then you are shown the available cabins and are given the choice of picking your own or picking a guarantee in the category you selected. You can change areas and decks as much as you want to find a cabin or area you want for your guarantee.

It sounds, to me, that there are still unsold cabins in the area you're booking. I wouldn't expect the booking system to offer "Guarantee" status if cabins are still available...it should assign cabins until there aren't any left, then shift to guarantee and finally waitlisting.

I'm a bit confused why you would want guarantee which could move you anywhere on the ship when you can still pick a specific cabin?

It sounds, to me, that there are still unsold cabins in the area you're booking. I wouldn't expect the booking system to offer "Guarantee" status if cabins are still available...it should assign cabins until there aren't any left, then shift to guarantee and finally waitlisting.

I'm a bit confused why you would want guarantee which could move you anywhere on the ship when you can still pick a specific cabin?

Never had an inside cabin before . I thought there would be a better chance of a free upgrade. If you pick your cabin do you sometimes get an upgrade. A girl can wish right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you pick your specific cabin, there's still a slim chance for an upgrade. I think there's a better chance when you have a guarantee. Most of the time, though, it will be an upgrade to a higher category within the same class--still an inside cabin. What Princess considers an upgrade may not be great for your priorities. Some people like cabins that are lower on the ship and close to the middle to avoid seasickness. Others like to be near the pool or buffet. Some people are bothered by noise from the decks above or below them--such as being beneath the pool or buffet or above the theater.

The good thing about Princess is that once you receive your cabin assignment, you can ask to be moved to another available cabin in that category. The bad thing is that you may not receive your assignment until there are no other cabins available in that category and you'll be stuck.

The Upgrade Fairy works in mysterious ways. On one cruise, we met a couple who had been upgraded from an inside to a balcony cabin. We were in an obstructed view guarantee and had been upgraded just slightly. We still had a great time and did not obsess about being overlooked by the Upgrade Fairy.

An inside guarantee can be iffy IMHO. You might get an inside that sleeps 4. If that is the case, the upper beds are folded against the wall and if you put your bed in a queen configuration THEY ARE IN THE WAY BIG TIME.

Whether the beds are on the wall, or go into the ceiling

depends on ship and deck.

There is always a chance for an upgrade regardless of whether you book a GTY or pick the cabin yourself.

Just make sure the booking shows will accept an upgrade.

I would put "Meta" upgrade so that you could be moved to the next cabin cat only, ie inside to an OV or Ov to a balcony etc and not within the insides only.