Thomson Majesty

Hello,

I'm going on my first Thomson cruise in November aboard the majesty.

This is my third cruise with the previous two both being princess (panama canal and Hawaii).

My question really is how different will i find the experience between the operators? I thought princess was fantastic. Whilst I acknowledge that overall the ship may not quite be up to the standard of princess ships how do other aspects of the ship compare?

Would be very interested to hear others experiences. Thanks.

Since our first cruise with Princess in 2010 (Diamond to the Far East)

we have been on Island Princess (Alaska) and Star Princess (S. America).

We always have a balcony on Caribe deck, great for private sunbathing, scenic cruising, and pre-dinner drinks and the balcony is big enough to share with friends. Balcony cabins are rare on Thomson ships. Not sure which Princess ships you were on but you will know that the atrium is spectacular and the bars, lounges and theatres are excellent.

As the Thomson ships are much smaller, maybe only a third of the gross tonnage of some of the Princess ships, the public areas especially around the reception areas and lifts are much smaller.

Since 2010 we have been on 4 Thomson Cruises. two to the Caribbean, Ancient Wonders and Italian Flavours (on Majesty). We particularly like Thomson because they offer cruise & stay options which we have taken each time we have cruised with them. We can also fly from local airports which is a bonus.

Despite the Thomson ships being smaller they do not feel more crowded.

You will be aware of the tipping regime on Princess ships, on the last 3 cruises we have off-set this by getting $400 On-board credit deals; tips are, of course, included on Thomson ships. Much better in my opinion.

We would say that the Thomson service in restaurants marginally better, but we have found Princess cabins better in terms of facilities, space, storage, etc and the safes are free, you have to pay on Thomson's.

Food is a personal thing but we found that there is really nothing to choose between them in terms of food quality and choice. Not too keen, however, on the Horizon Court self-service on Princess as it always seems overcrowded and too much hustle and bustle. Also not keen on the largely unshaded Piazza San Marco self-service 'al fresco' on Majesty, preferred the indoor Cafe Royal.

For dinner, of the two main dining rooms, we preferred the smaller Four Seasons Dining room, where we got very good service from Husain's team and wine waiter Rosario from Goa.

Entertainment wise there is more going on on Princess but as far as the main shows are concerned Thomsons are outstanding. We have been very impressed by quality and enthusiasm of the show teams on all 4 Thomson cruises.

Please let us have your impressions when you get back.

Since our first cruise with Princess in 2010 (Diamond to the Far East)

we have been on Island Princess (Alaska) and Star Princess (S. America).

We always have a balcony on Caribe deck, great for private sunbathing, scenic cruising, and pre-dinner drinks and the balcony is big enough to share with friends. Balcony cabins are rare on Thomson ships. Not sure which Princess ships you were on but you will know that the atrium is spectacular and the bars, lounges and theatres are excellent.

As the Thomson ships are much smaller, maybe only a third of the gross tonnage of some of the Princess ships, the public areas especially around the reception areas and lifts are much smaller.

Since 2010 we have been on 4 Thomson Cruises. two to the Caribbean, Ancient Wonders and Italian Flavours (on Majesty). We particularly like Thomson because they offer cruise & stay options which we have taken each time we have cruised with them. We can also fly from local airports which is a bonus.

Despite the Thomson ships being smaller they do not feel more crowded.

You will be aware of the tipping regime on Princess ships, on the last 3 cruises we have off-set this by getting $400 On-board credit deals; tips are, of course, included on Thomson ships. Much better in my opinion.

We would say that the Thomson service in restaurants marginally better, but we have found Princess cabins better in terms of facilities, space, storage, etc and the safes are free, you have to pay on Thomson's.

Food is a personal thing but we found that there is really nothing to choose between them in terms of food quality and choice. Not too keen, however, on the Horizon Court self-service on Princess as it always seems overcrowded and too much hustle and bustle. Also not keen on the largely unshaded Piazza San Marco self-service 'al fresco' on Majesty, preferred the indoor Cafe Royal.

For dinner, of the two main dining rooms, we preferred the smaller Four Seasons Dining room, where we got very good service from Husain's team and wine waiter Rosario from Goa.

Entertainment wise there is more going on on Princess but as far as the main shows are concerned Thomsons are outstanding. We have been very impressed by quality and enthusiasm of the show teams on all 4 Thomson cruises.

Please let us have your impressions when you get back.

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed experience. We have sailed on the island and golden princess' (panama and Hawaii) respectively. Given that the thomson cruise is a fraction of the price, I have already set my expectations accordingly. Still can't wait tho. Thanks again and i will certainly leave a review when I return.

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed experience. We have sailed on the island and golden princess' (panama and Hawaii) respectively. Given that the thomson cruise is a fraction of the price, I have already set my expectations accordingly. Still can't wait tho. Thanks again and i will certainly leave a review when I return.

I don't know what cabin category you are thinking of - but since Travellingtaff mentions cabin size I would definitely recommend you up-grade to a 'plus' cabin on Majesty if you are considering the standard double. These basic grade doubles are the smallest we have ever been in - by a long way. Other Thomson ships have comparatively much larger basic cabins which we are happy enough with - but on Majesty I would pay extra to get a more spacious cabin. Hope you enjoy your trip.:)

Hi Lambo

We have just returned today from the Fjords on the Crown Princess and had a fantastic time. The food was wonderful, I daren't get on the scales :eek: The entertainment was also brilliant. We had Mike Doyle (comedian) for two nights and he is very funny and has a wonderful voice, we had two pianists playing on the same piano, which was very good and there were 4 production shows by the entertainment team plus a mindreader(we gave him a miss ;)) We had a lovely cabin with a huge balcony. In fact the whole cruise was fantastic. We couldn't find fault with anything (Except no teamaking facilities :( but free room service meant we could pre-order the night before and have it delivered to us in bed:)) A wonderful holiday :)

Having said all the above, in February, we went to the Canaries on the Majesty and also had a wonderful time. We really liked the Majesty, in fact DH who is not one to enthuse over things, said "I really like this ship" We had comedian, Maxwell Plumm, on one evening and the Thomson entertainment team on the other 6 evenings and they did some brilliant shows. The food was the best we have ever had on a Thomson ship and the cabin, outside plus (as Kruzseeka says, worth upgrading) was adequate, with plenty of storage, although obviously not as big as the Crown and no balcony.

We enjoyed both of these holidays equally. Different ships, but both full of friendly staff and actually about the same price for each cruise.

Which itinerary are you doing?

We have just returned today from the Fjords on the Crown Princess and had a fantastic time. The food was wonderful, I daren't get on the scales :eek: The entertainment was also brilliant. We had Mike Doyle (comedian) for two nights and he is very funny and has a wonderful voice, we had two pianists playing on the same piano, which was very good and there were 4 production shows by the entertainment team plus a mindreader(we gave him a miss ;)) We had a lovely cabin with a huge balcony. In fact the whole cruise was fantastic. We couldn't find fault with anything (Except no teamaking facilities :( but free room service meant we could pre-order the night before and have it delivered to us in bed:)) A wonderful holiday

wow! sounds fabulous linda:cool:

free room service!....I likes the sound of that....sounds like my kinda cruise (thumbup)

pleased you had a great time:cool: ...good to have you back

Thanks Geo,

Yes they left a card each night for room service - continental breakfast, bacon rolls, tea, coffee, orange juice etc. DH resisted for the first few days, until he was assured it was free, then we ordered tea and coffee and gave a time and lo - it arrived at 8am on a tray via a lovely cabin steward.

Also free safe :) no booking fee to pick a cabin :) and you can take on wine at Southampton - we took a 3 litre box which was nice to drink on the balcony as we sailed away - the weather was surprisingly good.

We paid £829 each for 8 nights for a balcony cabin near the back lifts - so pretty good I thought (until we spoke to someone who had got a central cabin for £799 :rolleyes:)

Great to have you back Linda and hear that I'm heading for a real good time on the Crown .

Maybe we will have room service but the Horizon Court looks good to me for a very early cuppa with

a great view before the crowds as we are early risers :D.

Jambo re- Majesty We really liked that ship as well and I made a bit

of a film you may like to look at as it does show the small cabin Kruzze & Linda

were advising you about . Like staying in a little caravan ;)

Hi kalos,

She's a lovely ship, although have to say she does need a bit of tarting up in places :eek: A bit of rust when I looked over the balcony and bits of threadbare carpet on a couple of stairs :rolleyes: Also two blocked loos this mornings as everybody was trying to use them before they got off, so felt quite a home after the Dream :p:D

This was our cabin (sorry Stateroom)

2a963rd.jpg

Hi kalos,

She's a lovely ship, although have to say she does need a bit of tarting up in places :eek: A bit of rust when I looked over the balcony and bits of threadbare carpet on a couple of stairs :rolleyes: Also two blocked loos this mornings as everybody was trying to use them before they got off, so felt quite a home after the Dream :p:D

This was our cabin (sorry Stateroom)

2a963rd.jpg

Looks lovely Linda - good to read that you had a great time :)

Jules

We've recently returned from 12 days on Ruby Princess - our first non-Thomson. The ambiance on Ruby was classy and sophisticated. Although we've enjoyed our cruises with Mr T, I could never use those same adjectives. The food was a different level on Ruby and the bedding in the cabin was gorgeous. There is also a loyalty scheme with Carnival group. We have cruised 6 times with Thomson and have never been recognised as a previous customer even in an email. I was nervous about trying a 'big ship' but it was the best cruise we've had. I don't know if we'll use Thomsons again.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

We've recently returned from 12 days on Ruby Princess - our first non-Thomson. The ambiance on Ruby was classy and sophisticated. Although we've enjoyed our cruises with Mr T, I could never use those same adjectives. The food was a different level on Ruby and the bedding in the cabin was gorgeous. There is also a loyalty scheme with Carnival group. We have cruised 6 times with Thomson and have never been recognised as a previous customer even in an email. I was nervous about trying a 'big ship' but it was the best cruise we've had. I don't know if we'll use Thomsons again.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

I think the Ruby and Crown are the same design. I must admit it was lovely to have a balcony :D Agree about the beds - so comfy and lovely soft pillows :)

Glad you had a great time on your cruise Linda. The stateroom looks lovely.

We are hoping to cruise in the spring and will be taking a closer look at this one now that we have read your good review.

Thomson are becoming too expensive and I dread to think what a balcony cabin on the Celebration will cost.

Archived