First time to Bermuda, which line and dock?

cruiseintoheaven

Hi everyone, DH and I are pretty loyal Princess cruisers, but they don't visit Bermuda, so we need to branch out.

Realizing that opinions are just that, and everything is subjective, I'm looking for direction in terms of which cruise line? So far, I've looked at HAL's Veendam, going to pass on that one. Considering Celebrity Summit, though wish they docked in Hamilton. It seems like very few ships dock there because of the size restrictions.

DH and I enjoy a mix of beach time and sight seeing, shopping, bars, so I'm not sure whether the Naval Dockyard or Hamilton is more preferable.....thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi everyone, DH and I are pretty loyal Princess cruisers, but they don't visit Bermuda, so we need to branch out.

Realizing that opinions are just that, and everything is subjective, I'm looking for direction in terms of which cruise line? So far, I've looked at HAL's Veendam, going to pass on that one. Considering Celebrity Summit, though wish they docked in Hamilton. It seems like very few ships dock there because of the size restrictions.

DH and I enjoy a mix of beach time and sight seeing, shopping, bars, so I'm not sure whether the Naval Dockyard or Hamilton is more preferable.....thanks in advance for any advice!

In my opinion Hamilton is preferable. Right in the center of Bermuda and easy to get out of Hamilton to other parts of the island. And in Hamilton lot of shopping bars and restaurants. I have been on Veendam twice and Summit five times. If Veendam was leaving from Manhattan like it used to I would book it over Summit every time. Veendam has better food and a very friendly crew.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles4514, thanks for the reply and advice - I'm drawn to docking in Hamilton, though admittedly some of the reviews of the Veendam have me concerned. On the other hand, I know that people typically write reviews when they are NOT happy or its their first time on a cruise/line/ship etc. And as CCL shareholders we'd at least get our stock OBC with HAL. Always good to hear from folks who have sailed both ships, so I appreciate your insight [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed Veendam twice and the first time had concerns but it was such a great cruise we did it again the same year.

I would prefer it but we drive to the port and it is another 5 hours to get to Boston so this year we sailed Summit out of Bayonne. We enjoyed it and would do it again but I still prefer the HAL experience and the ease of docking in Hamilton.

For transportation in Hamiliton you walk a couple short blocks to the bus depot.

The one small ship in Hamilton has about 1100 people waiting for about 25 bus lines that go through there every 20-30 minutes. The ferry port is even closer and again less people from your ship.

At Dockyard there will be the NCL Breakaway and Celebrity Summit. You could have about 6000 people and there are only two bus lines that come and only one of those goes to the beaches. It runs every 30 minutes and not every one will get on. Coming from the beaches in the afternoon we passed people at the stops because our bus was full. The ferry was standing room only also.

The Veendam gets to Bermuda on Tuesday and they are the only cruise passengers in town that day.

Both Breakaway and Summit get in Wednesday and it gets busy.

I found Hamilton much more relaxing.

BUT------America's Cup is in Bermuda this year and is out by the Dockyard. If you are docked there, it might be interesting to see all the boats practicing nearby. It could also add to the congestion already there.

My choices would be:

Veendam

Summit

swim there rather than Breakaway

We have sailed Veendam twice and the first time had concerns but it was such a great cruise we did it again the same year.

I would prefer it but we drive to the port and it is another 5 hours to get to Boston so this year we sailed Summit out of Bayonne. We enjoyed it and would do it again but I still prefer the HAL experience and the ease of docking in Hamilton.

For transportation in Hamiliton you walk a couple short blocks to the bus depot.

The one small ship in Hamilton has about 1100 people waiting for about 25 bus lines that go through there every 20-30 minutes. The ferry port is even closer and again less people from your ship.

At Dockyard there will be the NCL Breakaway and Celebrity Summit. You could have about 6000 people and there are only two bus lines that come and only one of those goes to the beaches. It runs every 30 minutes and not every one will get on. Coming from the beaches in the afternoon we passed people at the stops because our bus was full. The ferry was standing room only also.

The Veendam gets to Bermuda on Tuesday and they are the only cruise passengers in town that day.

Both Breakaway and Summit get in Wednesday and it gets busy.

I found Hamilton much more relaxing.

BUT------America's Cup is in Bermuda this year and is out by the Dockyard. If you are docked there, it might be interesting to see all the boats practicing nearby. It could also add to the congestion already there.

My choices would be:

Veendam

Summit

swim there rather than Breakaway

Thanks so much for the details in your reply, gives me a good mental picture and validates my instinct to be in Hamilton. Have to admit your choices in order made me spit coffee through my nose. NO OFFENSE to NCL cruisers, but I've talked to so many people who feel the same way after trying them. The curiosity factor almost, emphasis on almost, has me wanting to try them! Thanks again....:)

I had a disastrous SA/Amazon cruise on the Veendam several years back: 27 consecutive code red days. Returned sick. I have returned to HAL with great satisfaction but not Veendam.

After declaring that, I vote Hamilton as a great place. But we have been to the Royal Dockyard. It is developing nicely and I quite like the fact that there is a beach -- albeit an artificial one -- within a few minutes' walk from the ship.

We also spent one night in St. George's. A nifty little town. Has/used to have a Confederate war museum because Bermuda was the staging area in British efforts to supply the rebels.

We have been Bermuda on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and have booked another for next summer on Carnival. Whatever you do, take a seven-day cruise. Bermuda is the destination, enjoy it.

Barante - thanks for the reply. That does sound like a rather disastrous cruise, glad to hear it was a one time thing. Yes on the seven days....still leaning towards Veendam as it has the most time there and docks in Hamilton....we like beach time but can only take so much of it, so would rather be docked in the thick of things and come and go as we please, making the beaches an outing. Thanks again! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have cruised to Bermuda many times, and the decision between docking in Hamilton or the Dockyard is a no brainer! Hamilton, hands down! So convenient to all areas of Bermuda.

We also spent one night in St. George's. A nifty little town. Has/used to have a Confederate war museum because Bermuda was the staging area in British efforts to supply the rebels.

That Confederate war museum was still there last summer -- a friend and I stumbled across it when it was just about to close, but the nice lady at the front desk kept it open an extra hour so that we could tour it! :)

Link to more info on the museum

I will agree with the others that Hamilton is more conveniently located for seeing as much of Bermuda as possible during your stay. You'd miss the Dockyard, which is fun, but it's very touristy and personally I think I'd rather spend the extra time in Hamilton and St. George's.

That said, we've already booked another cruise heading to the Dockyard. Ah well. At least we'll have a good chance of seeing some of the America's Cup qualifiers. :)