OK, I Need Help - Pre-Cruise Hotel near Port Everglades

cruisinmama!

I don't know why I am having so much trouble deciding on this, but I could really use the help of you experienced CC folks.

We are a party of 6 (4 adults, a toddler and an infant) sailing on the Feb. 7th sailing of Allure out of Port Everglades. In an effort to save money our traveling companions have asked that we get one room that can fit all of us and have put me in charge of finding such a thing. So now I need to find a single hotel room that has at least 2 beds plus a sofa bed (and can fit a crib as well), that is also within easy walking distance of kid friendly restaurants and a place to get wine.

Now normally we always use the Embassy Suites on 17th, which would have fit the bill for what we need perfectly. But, of course, it is sold out :(

So, I have been scouring the boards and reading up on all of the different suggestions from everyone, but since I don't have any experience with any of these other places or locations I could <really> use some help narrowing down the choices to what would be the best option for us.

The places I have found available are:

--- Homewood Suites -1 Bedroom Suite with 2 Queen Beds and a Sofa Bed for $387

--- GalleryONE Doubletree - Waterview Balcony 2 Queen Suite & Sofa Bed for $431

--- Hyatt Place - 2 Double Beds & a Sofa Bed for $420

--- Holiday Inn Sawgrass Mills - 2 Queen Beds & Sofa Bed for $243

--- Cambria Suites - 1 Bedroom 2 Queen Suites w Sofa Bed for $381

--- Hilton Marina - 2 Double Bed Room (I dont think this one has the sofa sleeper thought so may not work at all) for $320

I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice on any of those, or any suggestions of others I have overlooked that would fit what we need both in space and location. Which would you choose in our circumstances and why??

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

We have stayed at the Hyatt Place (Dania Beach) in the two bedroom suite. We had 6 people, (4 adults, 2 children). We would deffinetly stay there agian for pre cuise lodging.

The room had two separte bedrooms, each with their own bathrooms and a little living room / kitchenett between the rooms that was perfect for us.

The hotel was not fancy, but it was clean and nice. They had free breakfast, transfers from the airport, and a laundry room which we needed after a few days travel.

Homewood Suites -1 Bedroom Suite with 2 Queen Beds and a Sofa Bed for $387

NO STORES NEARBY. CAB TO RESTAURANTS.

--- GalleryONE Doubletree - Waterview Balcony 2 Queen Suite & Sofa Bed for $431

BEST CHOICE. PUBLIX IS A BLOCK AWAY FOR WINE. PF CHANGS A BLOCK AWAY IS KID FRIENDLY.

--- Hyatt Place - 2 Double Beds & a Sofa Bed for $420

WHICH LOCATION? THE ONE NEAR THE CONVENTION CENTER/SE 17TH ST HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED VERY CLOSE. THE ONE IN DANIA IS GOOD...YOU CAN GET WINE AT KMART OR BJ'S AND THERE ARE A FEW FAMILY FRIENDLY RESTAURANTS LIKE MOONLITE DINER, TGIF, RED LOBSTER, BUT YOU HAVE TO WALK ACROSS A VERY LARGE PLAZA (A FEW BLOCKS OF WALKING) TO GET TO RESTAURANTS.

--- Holiday Inn Sawgrass Mills - 2 Queen Beds & Sofa Bed for $243

OVER 10 MILES AWAY FROM PORT AND FLL

--- Cambria Suites - 1 Bedroom 2 Queen Suites w Sofa Bed for $381

SEE HYATT PLACE DANIA ABOVE. IT'S A FEW MORE BLOCKS FROM EVERYTHING.

--- Hilton Marina - 2 Double Bed Room (I dont think this one has the sofa sleeper thought so may not work at all) for $320

NICE HOTEL BUT YOU'LL PROBABLY NEED 2 ROOMS. IT'S A FEW BLOCKS AWAY FROM EVERYTHING YOU NEED.

We stayed at the Doubletree Gallery One recently. The beds were doubles even though it is advertised as queens. The is a sofa bed and kitchenette. We really liked the hotel, CVS is close and we walked to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I would stay here again.

Check LMT for some good rates.

Staying in Plantation (the Sawgrass Mills area) is definitely less expensive than closer to the port. There are many more options for shopping for last minute items as well as restaurants. Renting a car overnight is extremely inexpensive and Thrifty has a dropoff location at the entrance to the port. In the past I stayed at hotels on 17th and State Road 84 but now choose to stay in Plantation and rent a car. Last January the car was less than $30! Check out carrentalsavers.

Staying in Plantation (the Sawgrass Mills area) is definitely less expensive than closer to the port. There are many more options for shopping for last minute items as well as restaurants. Renting a car overnight is extremely inexpensive and Thrifty has a dropoff location at the entrance to the port. In the past I stayed at hotels on 17th and State Road 84 but now choose to stay in Plantation and rent a car. Last January the car was less than $30! Check out carrentalsavers.

Yes, staying in Plantation with a car is also a good choice. It's a family friendly neighborhood with lots of chain restaurants. I guess this group of 6 needs to rent a minivan. Sawgrass Mills is actually in Sunrise, which is further than Plantation, but with a car it's all good.

Listen to Sharon's advice above - head to the GalleryONE Doubletree. :cool:

Thank you everyone for all of the advice - particularly you Sharon. It was very helpful. We have decided to go with the GalleryOne as it sounds like it has everything we need closeby.

Thanks again!!! I don't know what I would do without this forum :)

Excellent choice! My vote was also for the Doubletree.

IMO the commute to Sawgrass is a PIA.

Thank you everyone for all of the advice - particularly you Sharon. It was very helpful. We have decided to go with the GalleryOne as it sounds like it has everything we need closeby.

Thanks again!!! I don't know what I would do without this forum :)

You're welcome. GalleryOne is in a really nice neighborhood a few blocks walk from the beach. Plus there are 3 Starbucks: in the lobby, across the street and at Galleria Mall (Macy's 2nd floor). :):D