Just Booked My First Mediterranean Cruise

decal

Hello Everyone! I just booked my first Mediterranean Cruise and am super excited! Going on NCL Spirit in November 2016. Lots of time to plan!!

There is a lady (Lois R) that posts a lot on the solo forum. I would like her to give me any suggestions, etc. regarding traveling solo in Europe. I am been on several solo cruises, but not overseas. I want to be sure that I think of everything. For instance, in Barcelona I would like suggestions on what to see and do. Right now I am think 2 days pre-cruise. COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM EVERYONE ARE WELCOME!!!

Would also like recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel.

Merry Christmas!!

decal:

I am also a solo cruiser and was on a Med cruise on NCL several years ago that stopped in Barcelona for all of 6 hours.

I crammed as much as possible into that 6 hours and am planning to go back for more.

Assuming that you are flying into Barcelona, you can take the Aerobus from the airport into the city to Placa Catalunya which is like a big town square.

It is at the top of Las Ramblas which is a mile long pedestrian walkway filled with shops, kiosks and live human statues.

At the bottom of Las Ramblas is the dock area where you will likely board your ship.

At Placa Catalunya you can get tourist buses which take you on narrated tours of the city. I seem to remember that there are 3 different routes which cover most of the city.

I was able to take 2 of those but had to get back to the ship before I got stranded.

I am booked on a HAL cruise in March that ends up in Barcelona and am staying 3 days to sight see again but more pleasurably.

Have booked a room at the Hotel Continental Barcelona which is on Las Ramblas about 1/2 block from Placa Catalunya.

One of the interesting amenities of the hotel is that they have a 24 hour buffet for guests with snacks, wine and beer.

And if a real fix is needed there is a Hard Rock Cafe right around the corner in Placa Catalunya.

I'll be taking the Aerobus from Placa to Barcelona Airport upon leaving and flying to Madrid and on to Dallas and Phoenix.

Get on Google Earth and explore Barcelona to get an idea of where those places I mentioned are located and that may be a help to you on your trip.

Enjoy every minute of your time there and your cruise in the Med.

Jim

NOMB but Lois has been there once. I would ask for info from the many constant Euro cruisers. Check out European cruise ports books, Fodors and Frommers. I would watch the war/ migrant situation carefully. Cruise prices will be coming down next year most likely Do not pay in full until final date for payment..Nov. can be cold and rainy, bring rain gear. Please, buy a money belt and wear it under clothes(pants). Barcelona has an especially bad PP. situation.I have stayed at EL Canton Hotel, near Ramblas and port. Very affordable.Look it up on TripAdvisor.com.

Edited by zoncom

Remember to allow for jet lag, since you haven't been there before you don't know how badly it will affect you, two days minimum. It's worth considering post-cruise as well.

HOHO buses are good value for a single. Check the schedule for next November closer in. Use guide books for general ideas only, not specific recommendations.

Ignore the war/migrant situation, you don't know what it will be by then, there's nothing you can do about it and it probably won't affect you anyway.

Travel light, you don't need as many clothes as you think, budget for laundry on the ship. But yes, be prepared for cool weather.

It makes no difference whether you've paid in full, as long as you're before final payment date you can threaten to cancel your booking if there's a price drop (assuming you've booked with US terms & conditions).

Personally I like the Poble Sec area which is near the port, but there's lots of choice.

Edited by Dancer Bob

We spent 2 days in Barcelona last year following a cruise. Stayed at the Colon, which was really nice. We looked at the Continental too but it was fully booked.

We enjoyed the ho ho bus too, and got off at the major sites...Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi park whose name excapes me. The Colon is right by the Gaudi church. Architecture in Barcelona is truly amazing. Personally, I don't go to Europe to eat at American restaurants such as the Hard Rock. We had tapas at a great place the hotel recommended and wandered into a local place off the ramblas. Also enjoyed a trip to the aquarium. Churros and chocolate are not to be missed! Have fun but do watch out for pickpockets as the above poster said. Barcelona is known for them. I'd not worry about war or migrants either. I just spent 2 weeks in Eastern Europe including Budapest and never saw any.

Edited by Barrheadlass

Hello Everyone! I just booked my first Mediterranean Cruise and am super excited! Going on NCL Spirit in November 2016. Lots of time to plan!!

There is a lady (Lois R) that posts a lot on the solo forum. I would like her to give me any suggestions, etc. regarding traveling solo in Europe. I am been on several solo cruises, but not overseas. I want to be sure that I think of everything. For instance, in Barcelona I would like suggestions on what to see and do. Right now I am think 2 days pre-cruise. COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM EVERYONE ARE WELCOME!!!

Merry Christmas!!

What to see in Barcelona is really dependent on what you like to do. Visit the Ports of Call board for Spain and you'll see lots of suggestions. I'll be there in March and have about six days planned for touring. I'm planning to see of course see Sagrada Familia and a few other of the touristy site. I purchased the book Walking Barcelona and plan to do a few self-guided walking tours, especially of the Gothic quarter. I'm also looking forward to day trips out of the city to Gorin, Costa Brava, and Montserrat. There's a lot to see and do, so be sure to do your research!

Med cruises tend to be very port intensive, and if you like going on tours, it would be a good idea to check out your roll call--a lot of people plan tours together. For my upcoming cruise on the Epic, our roll call has a few different tours planned for most ports, and they've filled up quickly as different roll call members have posted them on our spreadsheet (we have a spreadsheet on Google docs so that folks on the roll call can post details about tours and sign up for them).

I've never cruised solo anywhere but Europe so don't know how it would differ from any other solo cruise. Have a great time!

:D

Barcelona is a very easy to get around and safe city.

They have two different hop-on hop-off companies but both have 48h passes and free wifi on board which is a plus.

I always stay in the hotel arc la rambla as it is central enough to be able to walk to Plaça de Catalunya and the port shuttle bus stop so I don't have to take the metro with luggage.

I wouldn't worry to much about the pick pockets, just look at the locals and where they have their valuables, it is not inside of money belts. Don't look and act like an easy tourist target and you will be okay.

Good morning, Merry Christmas everyone:)

To the original poster, I have never been to Barcelona so I cannot give

you any advice about that area and as Zoncom pointed out, I have only been to the Med

once....and I have no idea what NOMB means:eek:......maybe it is

"none of my business"?:eek:

I would have told you myself that I have only been to the Med once and

Barcelona was not on my itinerary. I did LOVE the Med and it was the

best cruise I have ever been on.....it has blown all my other cruises

out of the water:D;)

As for traveling solo? That cruise had a wonderful roll call and we had

ALOT of people who did private tours and I was part of at least 5 of

them. It saved me a lot of money and met some really good people.

(tours were smaller in size). So, I would suggest checking out the

roll call for your cruise and see if there are folks looking for tourmates.

Hopefully you can get some good suggestions from folks who have

already sailed to Barcelona.

I sailed from Rome.......I stayed at a B&B outside of the Vatican area.

I used Trip Advisor AND I used the forums here on CC.....I would say

both are very good sources of information.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

I also have a solo Med cruise booked for next year! I have been to the south of France (Nice, Cannes, Villefranche, Monaco, etc) but doing a cruise has always been my dream. I wish I could do an eastern med cruise but I think western may be safer for me as a woman on my first med cruise. We should exchange ideas!

Because my vacation days are limited, I'll plan to arrive the day before the cruise. I'll be staying in Rome for about 4-5 days after the end of the cruise.

Edited by JetSet2B

Wow, I'm also going on my first European cruise next year as well! I'll be going 4 days pre cruise and 2 days post cruise. I'll, however, be doing Venice, Rome, Florence and Milan during that time. Really looking forward to it and will take any tips anyone has! :D this is my bucket list cruise, so I'm extremely excited.

Wow, I'm also going on my first European cruise next year as well! I'll be going 4 days pre cruise and 2 days post cruise. I'll, however, be doing Venice, Rome, Florence and Milan during that time. Really looking forward to it and will take any tips anyone has! :D this is my bucket list cruise, so I'm extremely excited.

Sounds amazing! I did my first solo last year and spent four days pre-cruise in Venice. It was so good, I now have a Venetian mask tattooed on my arm. :o Know that a European cruise is very port-intensive. I always take a look at the ports and decide what are my must-do activities. Sometimes, it's just sitting at a table in a sidewalk cafe, sampling the local cuisine, and watching the world go by. )

Have a wonderful time!

My still all-time favorite tour of many was one I found out about on Cruise Critic on my roll call for a Med cruise: in Rome, you can take a tour of the catacombs beneath St. Peter's and learn all about the early history of the Church and the site. So fascinating (though not for those with claustrophobia as some of the passageways are quite closed in.)

They only allow a few tours per day so you will want to reserve your spot as early as you can. Here's a link that describes the tours and how to sign up: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_en.html

Take that tour! Oh, and if you can, do your Med cruise in the fall--October or early November--definitely not in mid-summer when every site is very hot and extremely crowded. I toured Herculaneum (I recommend it over Pompeii if you have time for just one due in part to being less crowded) once in July and once in November and there was no contest--in November it was a lovely sunny cool day and we had the place almost to ourselves vs. the July trip where it was hot, sweaty, and it was hard to get close enough to the buildings to see what the audio tour was talking about.

I need to book another Med cruise myself so that I can finally get to Naples on a day the archaeological museum is open.

Enjoy!

Sounds amazing! I did my first solo last year and spent four days pre-cruise in Venice. It was so good, I now have a Venetian mask tattooed on my arm. :o Know that a European cruise is very port-intensive. I always take a look at the ports and decide what are my must-do activities. Sometimes, it's just sitting at a table in a sidewalk cafe, sampling the local cuisine, and watching the world go by. )

Have a wonderful time!

Really? Oh, I may need to change my plans then. I'm only doing 1 pre cruise night in Venice. The other nights will be in Rome, with a day trip to Florence.

Really? Oh, I may need to change my plans then. I'm only doing 1 pre cruise night in Venice. The other nights will be in Rome, with a day trip to Florence.

My itinerary was round trip from Venice, so I spent my pre-cruise time there. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the beginning and ending cities and decide where to invest my days and plan accordingly. I've never been to Rome, but would love to spend a few days exploring there. :)

My next cruise is round trip from Barcelona, and I'm spending four pre-cruise days and one post-cruise day there with a couple day trips planned outside the city. Can't wait! :)

My itinerary was round trip from Venice, so I spent my pre-cruise time there. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the beginning and ending cities and decide where to invest my days and plan accordingly. I've never been to Rome, but would love to spend a few days exploring there. :)

My next cruise is round trip from Barcelona, and I'm spending four pre-cruise days and one post-cruise day there with a couple day trips planned outside the city. Can't wait! :)

My cruise leaves from Venice but wanted to see Rome as well, so flying there and then making my way to Venice before the cruise. I'm connecting through all cities by the train.

My cruise leaves from Venice but wanted to see Rome as well, so flying there and then making my way to Venice before the cruise. I'm connecting through all cities by the train.

I don't blame you! Rome is on my bucket list. I'll make it there at some point in the next few years. :D

Like most touristy cities, Venice is very crowded. My hotel was near a vaporetto stop, so I bought a pass and that first afternoon while battling jet lag, road it to St Mark's. It was incredibly crowded! But, when I travel internationally I typically awaken very early in the morning the first day after landing and Venice was no different. So, I was out of the hotel by 6:00 a.m. and went back to St Mark's. What a difference! It was so enjoyable to watch the city wake up and be in St Mark's virtually alone. I've attached side-by-side photos--one taken each visit from almost the exact same spot to give you an idea of how different each visit was! LOL.

I went inside both St Mark's Basilica and the Doges' Palace. I purchased my ticket to the Basilica online before going to Venice and was really glad I did. I was able to go to the prepaid entrance and walk right in. If I hadn't purchased in advance, I would have been in line for more than an hour waiting to get in. I took a tour of the Doge's Palace. The main reason I decided to take a tour was that I wanted to walk across the Bridge of Sighs and also see Casanova's cell. A tour seemed the simplest way to do that, and I really enjoyed it. One of the things I loved about Venice was just walking around the streets and exploring. Getting lost there is a must!

Have a great time!

StMarksSquareComparison.jpg.cc73cfccf2d633e53a9a5a541adba5bb.jpg

I don't blame you! Rome is on my bucket list. I'll make it there at some point in the next few years. :D

Like most touristy cities, Venice is very crowded. My hotel was near a vaporetto stop, so I bought a pass and that first afternoon while battling jet lag, road it to St Mark's. It was incredibly crowded! But, when I travel internationally I typically awaken very early in the morning the first day after landing and Venice was no different. So, I was out of the hotel by 6:00 a.m. and went back to St Mark's. What a difference! It was so enjoyable to watch the city wake up and be in St Mark's virtually alone. I've attached side-by-side photos--one taken each visit from almost the exact same spot to give you an idea of how different each visit was! LOL.

I went inside both St Mark's Basilica and the Doges' Palace. I purchased my ticket to the Basilica online before going to Venice and was really glad I did. I was able to go to the prepaid entrance and walk right in. If I hadn't purchased in advance, I would have been in line for more than an hour waiting to get in. I took a tour of the Doge's Palace. The main reason I decided to take a tour was that I wanted to walk across the Bridge of Sighs and also see Casanova's cell. A tour seemed the simplest way to do that, and I really enjoyed it. One of the things I loved about Venice was just walking around the streets and exploring. Getting lost there is a must!

Have a great time!

Thanks for this tip as my time in Venice will be limited. The morning of the cruise, I'd like to find a tour to do that finishes by noon or 1 the latest and then make my way to the ship. The other option is to leave Rome early and find a train to Venice that gets there in enough time to do an afternoon tour. Either way, I'll do as much as I can. It's so exciting planning this cruise! :D

Just returned from a Med cruise on NCL Epic. RT from Barcelona. Pre-cruise stayed at Barcelo Raval (in the Raval was just okay), on the flipside stayed at Olivia Balmes in the Ramblas VERY close to a hop on/off stop. Was perfect and affordable. Check out tripadvisor for reviews.

Re: excursions, tried privates for the first time ( a huge mountain for me to overcome). Was very scared but found Joe Banana and now I wish Joe had tour companies in every port around the world. Italytoursharing [dot] com. Also check out more positive reviews on tripadvisor.

I wasnt jet lagged during the trip despite it being my first international trip and flying all the way from the west coast. However, I was jet lagged for a week after I returned home.

I wasnt jet lagged during the trip despite it being my first international trip and flying all the way from the west coast. However, I was jet lagged for a week after I returned home.

That's generally my experience as well, and I also live on the west coast of the U.S. When I travel internationally, I'm tired when I get there, but I always awaken early the next morning rested and refreshed. It's the coming home that's tough!

Wow. That looks like an amazing cruise!

I spent this past Thanksgiving in Venice/Rome/Florence (total days in each: 2/4/4) and had a wonderful time. I'd been to Rome and Florence before as port stops on a cruise. My original plan was to spend a week in Florence but my nephew wanted to join me and he'd never been to Europe before so I expanded the days and We flew into Venice* and took the train to Rome and then to Florence and flew out of Florence. It was an amazing trip. We each got single rooms and each hotel put us in rooms right next to each other - or at least on the same floor.

You should be able to find great prices on hotel rooms given you'll be there in November. Here's a list of where we stayed.

Venice - Ca' del Campo. The hotel is in San Marco and an easy walk to St. Mark's Square. It's a great hotel, especially for the price. My nephew had a room with a view of a canal. Lol. The room faced the shops on the other side of the "street" but if you stuck your head out the window and looked to your right, you could see the canal. :p

Rome - Hotel Pantheon. Rooms were amazing! They had just redone the rooms and the bathroom especially was roomy and gorgeous. I didn't know "Versace" made tiles, but apparently so. The location was, of course, incredible.

Florence. - Hotel Casci. Nice, basic rooms - family owned and run --- they give out the BEST recommendations for dinner!

*We met up in Venice - he arrived 1 1/2 days before his luggage. But, he took it in like a seasoned traveler.

...any suggestions, etc. regarding traveling solo in Europe. I am been on several solo cruises, but not overseas. I want to be sure that I think of everything. For instance, in Barcelona I would like suggestions on what to see and do.

Right now I am think 2 days pre-cruise. COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM EVERYONE ARE WELCOME!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Barcelona is my favorite city in the world. Ok, I've only been there four times but I usually stay at least a 8-10 nights.

I've even rented an apartment a couple of times and really loved it but even then, I always spend my last couple of nights (if not my entire stay) at Hotel Colon. It's sort of become my home away from home. They usually have great rates for their solo rooms. Most of their solo rooms have courtyard views --it's not really much of a courtyard-- but every solo room I've been in has been quiet. Also, they usually have my room ready when I get there - even as early as 9am. If not, they'll store your luggage (something all the hotels will do for you) so you can hit the streets and see the sights.

It's close to a couple of metro stops, HoHo stops for both lines are across from the hotel, as well as a taxi stand (or the hotel will call a taxi for you). Plus it's a quick and easy walk to Placa Cataluyna or Las Ramblas. Well, it's quick if you don't end up going into every cute shop you see along the way. -- bring extra money for shoe shopping (made in Spain).

I don't bother with their breakfast but I always prefer to find the local breakfast culture. I just walk up to Calle Santa Anna. There's several little spots for breakfast. For lunch, I like to go to the restaurant Santa Anna for their "menu del dia" - I've tried several things and I've never been disappointed. Plus, it's inexpensive - especially for what you get.

My first trip to Barcelona was my second solo trip to Europe. My first was about a decade earlier to Ireland and I was more worried about driving a car on the opposite side of the road than anything else. In Barcelona, I was worried about (besides the language - which isn't really much of a problem) what to do at night as a solo female traveler. I'm glad I was so worried because it led me to find two incredible night-time tours.

First, find a walking/tapas/wine tour. Check out TripAdvisor. These tours are fine with taking a solo traveler. You'll learn about the area and what/where to eat as well as just having a great evening with strangers that quickly become friends.

Second, and this is my favorite, - Ride Brightside - it's tour on a motorcycle sidecar. They have day tours as well but their evening tour is a great/easy way to see Barcelona at night. I've taken their night tour twice and one tour during the day. As you might guess, it's not inexpensive but it is an incredible value. It's a tour that I think is more fun to take as a solo because there's no argument over who gets to ride in the sidecar. (brightsidetours.com)

Oh, and I have cruised in/out of Barcelona. I don't think I'd ever be able to take a cruise where Barcelona was just a port stop because I'd have to stay before or after the cruise. The cruise terminal is very easy to get to by cab. And either they've got an easy check-in process or I've gotten lucky each time.

You'll have a great time. Solo travel in Europe is such fun whether you actually get on a cruise ship or not. -- Have a great time and if I can help you further, just ask.

Much good info here for you.

Next time I go, I'd book a hotel in Barcelona near Los Ramblas.

Be very cautious of pickpockets as mentioned above. Fellow cruisers had all their money stolen by cab driver!

The HOHO bus is also a good idea....

finally, the best piece of advice is to organize a private bus tour for 8 using Rome in Limo for ALL Italian ports. I was so fortunate to have a honeymooner on my roll call who did this. Excursions averaged $90 as opposed to $300 ship excursion in nice, new Mercedes vans.

Check the port boards if you don't believe me! Use them in Rome, Florence and Naples. Milan too, if they are there.....

Edited by mrobstad

• 4 months later...

Merry Christmas!!

Have you started planning yet? I'm going on NCL Epic in October leaving from Rome. Really excited to start planning :D