Coffee Snobs

• 7 months later...

IMHO, the coffee on the table is very disappointing and undrinkable for me(Black with no sugar). The coffee at Cafe' Al Baccio is better, if you have the classic beverage package the coffee (lattes, expresso, cuppacino) is included in the package. If you have the premium package, the whole range of specialty coffees are included.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We have a drinks package and will definitely go to the cafe. However we want room service in the morning on our veranda so it may be annoying if they won't serve the better coffee. We many need to go and get it from the cafe. This will be hard on our port heavy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will be on the Solstice in February and on the understanding that the coffee is less than average we are bringing coffee bags with us. Fortunately we will be able to try out the coffee and still have enough shore stops to top up as required from local supermarkets. I can take or leave the fancy coffees but like my good black coffee with breakfast

We have a drinks package and will definitely go to the cafe. However we want room service in the morning on our veranda so it may be annoying if they won't serve the better coffee. We many need to go and get it from the cafe. This will be hard on our port heavy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would often do a coffee run to Cafe' Al Baccio first thing in the morning to enjoy back in the room/balcony.:D

I found the cafe al bacio coffee on the Solstice to be acceptable, similar to an average cafe who know how to not burn the milk but it's not as good as a properly trained barrista could make. I ended up getting it with a dash of hazelnut flavoring and it made it quite nice to me :)

The brewed coffee in the restaurants, buffet and room service was awful.

I found the cafe al bacio coffee on the Solstice to be acceptable, similar to an average cafe who know how to not burn the milk but it's not as good as a properly trained barrista could make. I ended up getting it with a dash of hazelnut flavoring and it made it quite nice to me :)

The brewed coffee in the restaurants, buffet and room service was awful.

I like the Aspen coffees.:D

I've found the (paid for) coffee on ships to be very weak, more like warm milk with a dash of coffee. If you ask for a double shot, you'll get closer to what you would get in a cafe on land in Melbourne/Sydney.

At least it is drinkable unlike the syrup coffee in the MDR.

Personally I almost never drink coffe.

The bride used to be a big BIG BIG coffee drinker, but on a cruise would only drink the specialty, the other stuff was so bad.

Now she's all tea and I suspect will take her own as she likes really strange [to me anyway] ones.

Personally I almost never drink coffe.

The bride used to be a big BIG BIG coffee drinker, but on a cruise would only drink the specialty, the other stuff was so bad.

Now she's all tea and I suspect will take her own as she likes really strange [to me anyway] ones.

They have a large range of teas (the usual Twinnings ones)on board at the Cafe' as well.:D

They have a large range of teas (the usual Twinnings ones)on board at the Cafe' as well.:D

Thanks Mic

She's really into Ginger and Chi and Chamomile and the such, if I can get Diet Coke [and I know I can] my life's good:rolleyes:.

Yuck!

I will be bringing my own teabags but hopefully DH will be able to find decent coffee on board. He drinks espresso. Of course he could always bring his manual espresso machine http://espressounplugged.com.au/rok and some decent ground coffee. Then all we'd have to find is some freshly boiled water.

The teas in the coffee shop are quite good exotic ones. Though at ~$5US each, you'd want them to be!

The worse thing is just the wait you often have there. Fortunately, they have regular tea available elsewhere more readily.

Yuck!

I will be bringing my own teabags but hopefully DH will be able to find decent coffee on board. He drinks espresso. Of course he could always bring his manual espresso machine http://espressounplugged.com.au/rok and some decent ground coffee. Then all we'd have to find is some freshly boiled water.

Sounds like too much hassle for a holiday. The specialty coffee is fine for me and their are so many other drinks available on the ship.:D

Sounds like too much hassle for a holiday. The specialty coffee is fine for me and their are so many other drinks available on the ship.:D

Yes, I'm sure he'll be fine with the speciality coffee ;).

It does make surprisingly good espresso though. We first heard of them in NZ. We did a kayak trip in Coromandal and when we stopped for a break the guide pulled out a little gas stove and the espresso gadget (it was called a Presso at that stage). It was amazing! We were sitting on a deserted beach, no road access, drinking quite decent espressos and lattes, and eating gorgeous muffins freshly baked that morning. I bought one for DH as a present the following Christmas.

It does make surprisingly good espresso though. We first heard of them in NZ. We did a kayak trip in Coromandal and when we stopped for a break the guide pulled out a little gas stove and the espresso gadget (it was called a Presso at that stage). It was amazing! We were sitting on a deserted beach, no road access, drinking quite decent espressos and lattes, and eating gorgeous muffins freshly baked that morning. I bought one for DH as a present the following Christmas.

Nice, sounds idyllic.:D

What. A great gadget!

I took my little plunger and some nice loose tea leaves with me. Received many an envious look! :p:)