Beaches and what to do

vtown2bahamas

Hello everyone!! My family (which is me, hubby and daughter 37, 40 and 17 years of age) will be going on our first ever cruise August 2-5 with Carnival on the Carnival Sensation.

I was wondering if any of you kind people would guide me and let me know fun things to do but relax at the same time. What should we do on the ship? And I know nothing about ports??

My most important question is which beach Cable or Cabbage?

We are wanting a beach where we can get shade (like a hut thing) and a chair look at the beautiful water and relax but where we can take walks to places look around and go back to beach and relax. Bot really into water activities

Thanks so much

The first thing you should do is some research on where you're going! Get a guidebook...libraries have them, or buy one at a bookstore! Then, you can read up on each port and find out which beach would suit your family best! Doing a bit of research before ANY vacation to a place you've never been will really help you get the most from your time!

Going to beaches on your own is totally easy and doable...usually just bus/cab far and chair rentals....

Go and get that guidebook....lots of info in them!

Totally agree with CB at Sea. Go to library, get a Fodor's or one of those and check some places out. Also, go online. All of these islands have chamber of commerce type web sites that have a lot of information in them, just recognize they're pedalling themselves. These boards are also great, lots of good information but you have to poke around a lot to dig it out.

I don't know where you're going but you can see some of my pictures and obserbvations from out last 2 cruises, hope that will help a bit: http://www.137tremont.com/thecruiseblog

Have a great time!!:)

• 2 months later...

I went on almost the exact same cruise last August.

Our favorite part of the entire vacation was Atlantis and the lazy river waterpark.

Paradise Island is connected to Nassau by a bridge and seems to be mainly composed of the Atlantis Resort.

If you get a day pass to Atlantis you can swim in the many pools, float the lazy river (favorite!), there are water sports on the beach next door or you could swim and snorkle in the protected lagoon.

The Digg Aquariam is full of neat fish, huge sharks, sting rays, turtles (baby and giant) and so much more I'm sure we missed.

The resort itself is gorgeous. You should check out the website :)

If you decide to visit here (we are booking a vacation back here without the cruise we had soo much fun!) i would recommend booking a room at the Comfort Suites-it was cheaper than booking a day pass at Atlantis. Plus you have a place close by to relax if you get worn out..

Just search for Comfort Suites Nassau on these boards and you'll get all sorts of info on how to do this.

On the ship: 3 nice sitdown meals and afternoon tea, bingo, pool, acrcade, spas, various bars, music, shows etc. If on a big big ship could have rock climbing, ice skating, bowling alleys, wave running etc.

In port: The ship will offer lots of excursion options at a hefty fee. As others suggest either thru the ports of call here or thru online google search or the old school process of guide books you can find all the toursity money grabbing activities in every port :D

Happy planning on your first cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice short cruise to get your feet wet, so to speak.

The Sensation is a nice older ship, well kept and clean. You will find a good selection of activities on board and a teen club for your 17 year old to go and meet teens her age and allow you some private time. Do not expect a large outdoor movie screen, or rock climbing on this ship, but they do have a nice water slide that is fun to enjoy. We sailed on a sister ship the Fascination, and it was a lot of fun. By all means get involved in the on board activities.

You will be in Nassau from noon til 8pm. In reality, by the time the ship is cleared by customs, and making sure you arrive back onto the ship at least 30 min before sailing time (If you are late, they will leave you behind), you actually have about 6 and half hours or so to explore Nassau.

I would go to Cabbage beach on Paradise Island, simply because it is very close in Atlantis resort. If you have never been to Nassau before, do take the time to explore the shopping area. It has a lot of good deals, booze and jewellery, watches, and it is a very short walk from the ship. Literally a block away. The ship will probably offer a talk on what is available to do and shop in Nassau. Good information.

Look at some guide books if you have the time or just google it and there is a wealth of information on line about Nassau, Cabbage beach, Taxis and buses.

Enjoy! Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Each evening, you will get a schedule of events for the next day. Look it over and see what appeals to you. It really doesn't matter what I like to do. You have to find the things for you.

I went on almost the exact same cruise last August.

Our favorite part of the entire vacation was Atlantis and the lazy river waterpark.

Paradise Island is connected to Nassau by a bridge and seems to be mainly composed of the Atlantis Resort.

If you get a day pass to Atlantis you can swim in the many pools, float the lazy river (favorite!), there are water sports on the beach next door or you could swim and snorkle in the protected lagoon.

The Digg Aquariam is full of neat fish, huge sharks, sting rays, turtles (baby and giant) and so much more I'm sure we missed.

The resort itself is gorgeous. You should check out the website :)

If you decide to visit here (we are booking a vacation back here without the cruise we had soo much fun!) i would recommend booking a room at the Comfort Suites-it was cheaper than booking a day pass at Atlantis. Plus you have a place close by to relax if you get worn out..

Just search for Comfort Suites Nassau on these boards and you'll get all sorts of info on how to do this.

I agree...:)

Archived