A Quiet Corner?

babs135

One of the things I love about cruising is spending an hour or two (or maybe even more) with a good book in one hand and a drink in the other.

We will be on the Breakaway sailing out of New York on the 26th December so will I be able to find that 'quiet corner' and where will it be?

Thank you

A cruise out of New York during winter break will be about as loud as a cruise can get. But you can go to the top deck loungers during the day there not real noisy just folks tanning. Or the inside areas like library and I am sure there are a few other. Some of the extra pay areas are not bad like haven or the pay for private areas but there not real quiet you have to hear everyone's conversations. a lot of the times I just go to my balcony or top deck.

library in back of the atrium is tiny but quiet. there sometimes are games played next door. i have to admit that the spa was very quiet in there. just get there early if you want thermal lounger.

i wonder if the theater is unlocked during the day. chairs suck but would be quiet. or do they practice during the day? its amazing when one asks for quiet you realize how small the ship is :)

ok i just realized you said 12/26 cruise. you may have to hang off the side of the ship for any quiet.

One of the things I love about cruising is spending an hour or two (or maybe even more) with a good book in one hand and a drink in the other.

We will be on the Breakaway sailing out of New York on the 26th December so will I be able to find that 'quiet corner' and where will it be?

Thank you

Choosing a very large ship during a major holiday, when lots of families/children are VERY likely to be on board with you... that's not a good recipe for finding "a quiet corner".

I hope you have a balcony.

We were on the Pearl for a holiday cruise, and there were what seemed to be endless hoards of children/teenagers running around, charging en masse out of elevators, bumping right into anyone standing nearby, even off to the side. They were racing around everywhere.

That was also - thank goodness - our first time in The Haven, and that's pretty much where we *stayed* so we could have some peace and quiet.

We wandered out a few times to go to our favorite specialty restaurant, Le Bistro, and just hoped they were ready to let us in as soon as we arrived.

It sort of felt like a mobbed New Year's Eve celebration, every afternoon/evening, but without the same amount of festive clothing.

It wasn't the overall crowding; it was the children/teens running rampant almost all day/all evening. I suspect there were just a few groups who behaved this way, but they sure gave a bad reputation to all the children/teens on that cruise.

(There was one young pre-teen (?) who seemed to be nearby all the time, and who seemed to charge out of every elevator we were waiting for. Maybe she was one of identical triplets or quads? :mad:)

The next holiday season, we sailed on Oceania, and we found MANY wonderfully quiet places to read, watch the sea, or nap - in addition to our own balcony.

Both cruises included Christmas and New Year's, so that part was comparable, in terms of holidays and length of cruise.

geezer funny you mention running into the same teen. without exaggeration i recall seeing the same teen at least 10 times , if not more, in varied places. they were behaved though. but that they were so tall and how they dressed also made them more noticeable. but still on a ship this big, amazing to see the same people more than X times.

i feel for you people who must travel during holiday times. paying 2 times the rate to have a more crowded experience doesnt sound fun